GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield Noise - Dealer Won't Fix under CPO

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 07:15 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Windshield Noise - Dealer Won't Fix under CPO

Well, I guess I should have read the exclusions in the CPO contract. We took the GS in for the windshield/dash creaking that many of you have earlier reported on. Seems it happens more frequently when it gets cold.

Anyway, dealer order the part last week so I dropped the car off this morning, grabbed a loaner car and went off to work. Got a call enroute from the service advisor informing me that the service manager indicated dash rattles, regardless of whether there is a TSB or not - are not covered under the CPO warranty.

This is a $900-1200 fix that I was not prepared to pay for out of my pocket. Told the service manager I would return the loaner during lunch and get my car. I asked for the Lexus corporate number and called them this morning.

Lexus corporate confirmed issues like mine are not covered under CPO. This issue would have been covered under the original 4 year warranty, but that expired on 9/6/12. The gentlemen I talked to submitted my claim for review to see if they would apply some sort of goodwill to help defray the cost of the work. I've got to wait 2 days before I know if they are going to help with this fix or not.

Can't I just buy the noise kit myself and do the work? Any of you guys done this?
Old 11-26-12, 07:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you literally have to take the whole dash out to install the clips. if you want to do that, go right ahead or you could just buy some felt cloth and push it down between the dash and windshield.

some additional information can be found here
Old 11-26-12, 07:47 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you literally have to take the whole dash out to install the clips. if you want to do that, go right ahead or you could just buy some felt cloth and push it down between the dash and windshield.

some additional information can be found here
Pulling the dash is not in my future. I have a brown dash, so I would have to locate the appropriate color felt to match the dash color. Guess the wife needs to go to the local fabric store for this one..

I'm still going to hold out some hope and see what Lexus corporate comes up with. Hopefully they'll rule in my favor.
Old 11-26-12, 08:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

it doesnt have to be the same color as its just going to get shoved down below the dash and windshield. you would never see it.
Old 11-26-12, 09:23 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
it doesnt have to be the same color as its just going to get shoved down below the dash and windshield. you would never see it.
Thanks - good to know.

Just returned the loaner and got the GS back. The dealer wants $917.00 to perform the TSB; L-SB-0040-08; Instrument Panel Rattle. Going to wait and see what Lexus corporate will do (or won't).

Anybody got the full procedure for this TSB?
Old 11-26-12, 01:30 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The felt application is a smart one. You really should give it a shot before you go down the TSB route.
Old 11-26-12, 02:42 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Just got a call from Lexus Corporate this afternoon. I thought it would be 2 days before I would receive a reply......

They 1st asked me what I was expecting Lexus to do. I replied that I expected Lexus to pick up the entire tab since I was informed by the saleman the CPO warranty was a bumper to bumper coverage for 3yrs or 100K miles, whichever comes 1st.

(Now that I know this is no longer the case and I should have read the exclusions in the contract, I still tossed out this reply to see what they would do)

To my surprise, Lexus offered to pay for the entire repair as a "one time Lexus goodwill offer".

I'm good with that! Saves me some major bucks!

I'm feeling lucky - maybe I need to go buy some Powerball tickets, especially since its up to $425 Million.
Old 11-27-12, 06:04 PM
gs4thirty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna try some felt...
Old 11-28-12, 05:22 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I stuffed pieces of black socks in between the dash and the windshield. Works.

My only remaining noise that bothers the hell out of me is a windshield squeak caused by the cowl rubbing against the windshield. I know they redesigned the cowl but that dumb piece of plastic is hundreds of dollars. I made it go away for about a year by stuffing some foam in between the cowl and the windshield on the exterior but it's back.

Socks and foam all over the place, pretty ghetto for a mid range lexus but given the cost of the alternatives what can you do.
Old 11-28-12, 05:36 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The felt works well.
Old 11-28-12, 06:05 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

The felt is what my dealership did to my car every joint around and near the dash, was given a touch of felt. I'll take a picture tomorrow of what it looks like.
Old 11-29-12, 03:59 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Just got a call from Lexus Corporate this afternoon. I thought it would be 2 days before I would receive a reply......

They 1st asked me what I was expecting Lexus to do. I replied that I expected Lexus to pick up the entire tab since I was informed by the saleman the CPO warranty was a bumper to bumper coverage for 3yrs or 100K miles, whichever comes 1st.

(Now that I know this is no longer the case and I should have read the exclusions in the contract, I still tossed out this reply to see what they would do)

To my surprise, Lexus offered to pay for the entire repair as a "one time Lexus goodwill offer".

I'm good with that! Saves me some major bucks!

I'm feeling lucky - maybe I need to go buy some Powerball tickets, especially since its up to $425 Million.
good to hear! the noise may come back though. everyone complained that it worked well for about a year then the noise would come back.
Old 11-29-12, 04:06 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

if its a TSB shouldn't it be covered?
Old 12-03-12, 08:50 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
if its a TSB shouldn't it be covered?
Not necessarily - especially in this case, it was not covered.
Old 12-03-12, 08:47 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
The felt is what my dealership did to my car every joint around and near the dash, was given a touch of felt. I'll take a picture tomorrow of what it looks like.
Id definitely like to see what you guys used for felt and where/how you installed it. My 07 never received any rattle/TSB repairs. I don't think it's as bad as some yet definitely has rattles when cold. I have no problem performing an alternate fix as long as its unnoticeable.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Windshield Noise - Dealer Won't Fix under CPO