GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Parking sensor went bad.

Old 04-19-13, 07:37 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Parking sensor went bad.

For some reason the front sensor was freaking out ever since I bought the car...most of the times it worked, but now it always shows and obstacle.
Any way to fix them? I found new one in my color for $180 or used anywhere from 50-100. But the color is different. Can I pop the cap from and old one so the color on the used one is the same or must I have it painted. I can install it myself.

I dont care for the sensors but it does make my wifes life easier.

Thank you
Old 04-19-13, 07:47 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Mine does the same after I wash the car or it rains. Have you tried cleaning them and possibly waxing them
Old 04-19-13, 08:40 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

I washed my car numerous times... Sometimes it comes back but not for long. Says clean sonar and then goes nuts.
Waxing??
Old 07-24-13, 04:56 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the sensor is faulty, there is no way to repair it. I opened a defective one from my car and it is potted with some sort of white goop, like a sort of silicone.

I ordered the replacement from LexusParts, then noticed I ordered the wrong one! There's 3 different units used on the GS: 4 rectangular ones up front, and 2 each of different diameter round ones on the rear. Just be careful to get the right unit in the right color.
Old 07-26-13, 08:52 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had my rear ones freak out for no reason, but every time so far... thankfully... it was resolved by thoroughly washing them and/or giving them a few good taps. I think they particularly don't like when crud builds up in the little lip between the sensor and the rubber o-ring type part.
Old 07-26-13, 09:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You sound just like me DrexLex..... I'm always curious as to how things work, so I take almost everything I own apart..... Unless I know for a fact it is an impossible to reassemble project of course.
Old 07-28-13, 11:05 AM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a right rear do the same thing, went crazy every time I went into reverse. Cleaning it never phased it. I just dropped that side of the bumper, unhooked the sensor and cleaned the connections a bit, and put it back in. Hasn't had another issue since.
Old 07-28-13, 12:39 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pdbrady
I had a right rear do the same thing, went crazy every time I went into reverse. Cleaning it never phased it. I just dropped that side of the bumper, unhooked the sensor and cleaned the connections a bit, and put it back in. Hasn't had another issue since.
Very good advice. I really should have tried that first! Usually, that's what I do. But curiosity got the best of me, and by opening the unit, it created a "there's no going back" scenario.
Old 07-29-13, 06:43 PM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

Haha, trust me I've been there. I usually try to gauge price first, but sometimes I just dig right in. I've just learned with electrical to always check connections before opening things up.
Old 07-29-13, 07:51 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Should have put some di-electrical grease on the connections. I need to do this to mine, I always thought the sensor would get soaked internal. I will try to reach into my front bumper and see if I can get to the plugs instead of pulling off the bumper.
Old 08-06-13, 06:27 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish we had parking sensors, I was in a 3GS recently and its so cool!

Guess it doesn't help people backing into you though.
Old 08-08-13, 10:21 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Should have put some di-electrical grease on the connections. I need to do this to mine, I always thought the sensor would get soaked internal. I will try to reach into my front bumper and see if I can get to the plugs instead of pulling off the bumper.
Why would you want to put an insulating grease onto a low voltage electrical connection? Might as well fill the connector up with mud.
Old 05-28-14, 04:08 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

A bit of an update.
During the winter the sensor worked most of the time. When it got warmer it started acting up again.
Took the car out today in 60 degree weather and it's working fine again. Car sat still for 3 days.

Any clues? If the sensor was bad wouldn't it be bad all the time?
One of the sensors up front that I suspect is giving me problems has a small dent, as if a small rock hit it. It's tiny , but I'm assuming that's what the problem is, but wouldn't that problem always be there ?
Old 05-29-14, 11:30 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Any clues? If the sensor was bad wouldn't it be bad all the time?
The sensor has an outer ring, which is the housing flang, and an inner disc, separated by a thin space. That space is filled with some rubbery compound. Try scrubbing that rubber gap with a cloth to make sure there's no layer of buildup or other stuff on it. I cannot remember if I just used a damp cloth or something else, but it stopped my flaky sensor.
Old 06-02-14, 03:48 PM
msequence
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrexLex
The sensor has an outer ring, which is the housing flang, and an inner disc, separated by a thin space. That space is filled with some rubbery compound. Try scrubbing that rubber gap with a cloth to make sure there's no layer of buildup or other stuff on it. I cannot remember if I just used a damp cloth or something else, but it stopped my flaky sensor.
Interesting piece of advice. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking sensor went bad.