GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 AWD GS350 - What's the best answer to fixing squeaky breaks now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 07:33 PM
Rengozu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 AWD GS350 - What's the best answer to fixing squeaky breaks now?

Had it a few years with minimal problems, but something about the cold this year has made the breaks unbearable with the squeaking and squealing. I know it's a common problem and have read many old threads about the same issue but most were from 3-4 years ago. I couldn't find a more current answer and didn't know if the forum consensus for the best way of fixing the problem had changed.

I took it to Lexus today hoping they had a nice quick easy fix for me since it's a common problem, but the service guy said I'd probably be looking at $800 in parts (rotors/breaks) + labor. Please tell me there's a less painful recommended way to fix this available? Wasn't really looking to drop $1,000 to fix the squealing when the breaks are fine.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-13, 07:50 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had mine done yesterday. Took it to friend who owns brake shop. He sanded the pads a bit and put something on the rotors. So far so good. I wanted to try something inexpensive first before paying for new pads/rotors.
Old 03-07-13, 07:54 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rengozu
Had it a few years with minimal problems, but something about the cold this year has made the breaks unbearable with the squeaking and squealing. I know it's a common problem and have read many old threads about the same issue but most were from 3-4 years ago. I couldn't find a more current answer and didn't know if the forum consensus for the best way of fixing the problem had changed.

I took it to Lexus today hoping they had a nice quick easy fix for me since it's a common problem, but the service guy said I'd probably be looking at $800 in parts (rotors/breaks) + labor. Please tell me there's a less painful recommended way to fix this available? Wasn't really looking to drop $1,000 to fix the squealing when the breaks are fine.

Thanks!
The latest TSB should take care of this squealing noise. Search the other threads for the TSB #.
If you had this issue logged in service history before the basic warranty expired, Lexus may perform this issue free of charge. Give tham a call.

My 07GSAWD went through 3 repairs before the noise completely went away. It has been almost two years now.
First 2 repairs were done within basic warranty.
The third repair, my wife called Lexus HQ since the car was out of basic warranty. And Lexus authorized the repair under the latest TSB.
Old 03-07-13, 09:24 PM
Rengozu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
The latest TSB should take care of this squealing noise. Search the other threads for the TSB #.
If you had this issue logged in service history before the basic warranty expired, Lexus may perform this issue free of charge. Give tham a call.

My 07GSAWD went through 3 repairs before the noise completely went away. It has been almost two years now.
First 2 repairs were done within basic warranty.
The third repair, my wife called Lexus HQ since the car was out of basic warranty. And Lexus authorized the repair under the latest TSB.
Is this the TSB you were talking about?

2007 Lexus Gs350 Service Brakes, Air Service Bulletin 336230

NHTSA: Action Number: 10042884 Service Bulletin Number: 336230
Report Date:
Sep 19, 2011Component:
Service Brakes, Air
Summary: Lexus: information regarding technical instructions being provided for the rust removal and inspection of rear brake calipers on some lexus vehicles where slide pin in rear brake calipers not operating smoothly and make noise. *pe

I don't know if it has been brought in for that problem before. It wasn't originally bought by me and isn't under warranty now. Would you recommend calling the dealership back first to see if they can tell me if this problem has ever been recorded with the previous owner, or just go ahead and call Lexus HQ and see if they can do anything about it?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-07-13, 10:52 PM
myGSsoWET
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace them. It takes about an hour and only 50 bucks for new pads.
Old 03-08-13, 09:14 AM
Rengozu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET
Replace them. It takes about an hour and only 50 bucks for new pads.
Any specific ones you would recommend?
Old 03-08-13, 11:28 AM
MizikeTSK
Driver

I have the same issue but I think in my case it has to do with the weather. I replaced my pad about a year ago and never had the squeal or squeaks until it was close to winter time. On the occasional warm days we have in Cali I don't hear the noise. I'm debating on just replacing them with the Akebono pads that others has mentioned here just so I can get rid of the noise all together.
Old 03-08-13, 11:56 AM
macKdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Probably need new pads and resurface the rotors

any ceramic brakes are good, but i've never been picky.

Make sure to use brake lube too.
Old 03-08-13, 02:20 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Very important to clean the inside of the calipers. Remove all the rust, scuff the pins, and make sure to use a good graphite lube on the center pin, and on the tracks where the caliper slides on. Also make sure to use stop squeal on the back of each pad making sure to let the compound fully cure before mounting.
Old 03-08-13, 06:30 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rengozu
Is this the TSB you were talking about?

2007 Lexus Gs350 Service Brakes, Air Service Bulletin 336230

NHTSA: Action Number: 10042884 Service Bulletin Number: 336230
Report Date:
Sep 19, 2011Component:
Service Brakes, Air
Summary: Lexus: information regarding technical instructions being provided for the rust removal and inspection of rear brake calipers on some lexus vehicles where slide pin in rear brake calipers not operating smoothly and make noise. *pe

I don't know if it has been brought in for that problem before. It wasn't originally bought by me and isn't under warranty now. Would you recommend calling the dealership back first to see if they can tell me if this problem has ever been recorded with the previous owner, or just go ahead and call Lexus HQ and see if they can do anything about it?

Thanks for your help

No, that's for the rear caliper inspection campaign. My car was on the campaign list. Dealer inspected and lubed the pin.
Two years later, the rear caliper seized and replaced under EW.

The TSBs are:
L-SB-0040-09- Front Brake Squeal/Squeak In Cold Weather
L-SB-0011-11- Front Brake Squeal/Squeak On Light Application

The repair is the same for both TSBs: new front pads, new shims, and new rotors.

My car experienced them both. First only in cold weather. Then it happened every time when I first applied the brakes in cold/warm/hot weather. You name it.

My car was repaired under TSB-0040-09 two years ago when the basic warranty expired.
That's a $1K job if you have to pay out of your pocket.
Three winters (including this winter) and two summers, no more squealing noise.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Register and log on. You will see the service history or complaints for your car if the car was serviced by Lexus dealership from previous owner.
Old 03-08-13, 06:51 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

I only had squealing after changing to the low dust brake pads. Switched back to original pads and it went away.