GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blown center speaker ML

Old 03-07-13, 09:47 AM
yoitsdre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown center speaker ML

So it seems like my front center dashboard speaker is blown in my ML system GS and i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for an aftermarket replacement. I called lexus and they want $312 for the center speaker and I figured I can probably find something better and cheaper.

I think the size is 2.5" but not sure if any 2.5" will work and what rewiring if any will need to be done.
Old 03-07-13, 09:48 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

just go aftermarket. the ML system for Lexus isn't the best anyways
Old 03-07-13, 09:54 AM
yoitsdre
Driver School Candidate

Any particular brand/model that you can suggest?
Old 03-07-13, 10:40 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitsdre
So it seems like my front center dashboard speaker is blown in my ML system GS and i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for an aftermarket replacement. I called lexus and they want $312 for the center speaker and I figured I can probably find something better and cheaper.

I think the size is 2.5" but not sure if any 2.5" will work and what rewiring if any will need to be done.
If you order from sewell with our CL pricing its only $189 and I don't think its very hard to change out. The part number for my car is 86160D for that speaker. I don't know what year and model you have so you will have to look that up to double check that the part number is the same.

I know I am not answering your question at all, I just figured I would share the information with you since its a substantial savings over your dealer and will be much easier just to replace with OEM.

-Joe
Old 03-07-13, 10:55 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch thats expensive. If you go aftermarket, you should change them all no?
Old 03-07-13, 12:02 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That happened to me last year! I just took it out and continued on, average person could not tell the sound difference. But before I was going to buy an aftermarket one and just pop it in but the sound was fine without it so I didn't.
Old 03-07-13, 12:17 PM
yoitsdre
Driver School Candidate

thanks jamodeo, I will keep in mind sewell as it is a considerable price difference.

benztolex - Didn't know i would have to replace all speakers if I wanted to change 1 of them to aftermarket. Can anyone confirm this?

energie8 - so i can just unplug it? I thought no sound would play if any of the speakers was unplugged...?
Old 03-07-13, 12:17 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

The Lexus ML is trash in the 3GS, def change it with another speaker, I think there is a repair kit for it that strengthens the paper cup. I would still get a new one though. +1 on changing them all if you decide to go with an aftermarket one, also I have seen them on Ebay.
Old 03-07-13, 12:54 PM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by bigblack06
The Lexus ML is trash in the 3GS, def change it with another speaker, I think there is a repair kit for it that strengthens the paper cup. I would still get a new one though. +1 on changing them all if you decide to go with an aftermarket one, also I have seen them on Ebay.
I thought that the ML system uses metal cones, that is one of the advantages over the stock paper cone system.

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the one speaker with OEM than changing everything to aftermarket? Unless you really dislike the ML system, why change out the entire thing? just my .02

-Joe
Old 03-07-13, 01:38 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitsdre

energie8 - so i can just unplug it? I thought no sound would play if any of the speakers was unplugged...?
Ya, you can just take it out and all the other speakers will still work.
Old 03-07-13, 04:23 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock system speakers are all poly, except the tweeters and they are silk domes. The ML system utilizes paper cones in the doors and metal dome tweeters. I don't know if the center channel or small mids in the dash are paper or not because I have not personally seen them. Many audiophiles prefer paper cones as they are the most natural sounding speakers versus othe materials. You can most likely find a speaker that will work with very little effort at Madisound or Parts Express on-line for about $20. The stock center channel on the ML system is 8ohms and 10ohms on the stock system. If I recall correctly, the stock center is approximately 2". The center grill comes off very easily by using a pick to credit card and prying up at the front inbetween the grill and dash.

No way would I spend about $200 on a $10 speaker when I can find something close or better for about $20.

Last edited by AudioBob; 03-07-13 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 04:40 PM
ReLexing
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yoitsdre --- hey does your center speaker rattle? If so , it may not be blown. The glue around the cone might have just some aloose like a lot of ours have and make it sound blown. I used standard paper glue and its been on there for 2 years,no problems.
Old 03-07-13, 05:31 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
I thought that the ML system uses metal cones, that is one of the advantages over the stock paper cone system.

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the one speaker with OEM than changing everything to aftermarket? Unless you really dislike the ML system, why change out the entire thing? just my .02

-Joe
I recall when I took it off it was a paper cone, I could be wrong but I think that's what I saw when I took it apart.
Old 03-07-13, 08:15 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock system FTW!!!
Old 03-08-13, 07:18 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I recall when I took it off it was a paper cone, I could be wrong but I think that's what I saw when I took it apart.
That's still better than my assumption then I haven't seen them taken out, or even outside the door, I was just assuming because of what I thought I read in the past I should know better than to assume

-Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown center speaker ML