GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

IS this normal for a gs350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 08:41 PM
dubzino
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default IS this normal for a gs350?

I noticed when I am in power ect mode. And I press hard on the gas and it down shifts. After I let off the gas, it seems to stay in that gear for quite some time. Also in ect mode on the highway. Does it disable the last gear?
Old 12-26-12, 08:44 PM
dubzino
Driver

sorry but I really never used ect-power mode much until now.
Old 12-26-12, 09:26 PM
d100patel
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, since the GS is supposed to be a sporty car, the revs will hold higher when you accelerate quickly, especially on power mode. It is meant to do that for quick acceleration at higher speeds...don't worry.
Old 12-26-12, 09:57 PM
dubzino
Driver

No I am not saying the revs hold highter. I know that . But when I let my foot off the gas its like it stuck in the gear for an extended amount of time. It feels like I am in manual mode using engine breaking.
Old 12-26-12, 10:00 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It doesn't disable the last gear, it just changes the gear shift point to higher RPM in every gear. It also downshifts when you are breaking.

I keep my ECT switch engaged all the time. I like the way AT behaves and I also get 1-2 MPG better fuel mileage in town in the ECT-on mode.
Old 12-27-12, 03:42 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dubzino
No I am not saying the revs hold highter. I know that . But when I let my foot off the gas its like it stuck in the gear for an extended amount of time. It feels like I am in manual mode using engine breaking.
As you're aware already, the upshift occurs at a higher rpm in Power mode, so the same holds true for the downshift - it holds the gear until the rpm threshold point is reached, then upshifts or downshifts accordingly.
The whole point of that is so you're at a higher point on the power curve, giving better response from a prod of the right foot when making progress.
Old 12-27-12, 03:48 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dubzino
I think your car is just holding the lower gear because it assumes you are driving aggressively and wants to be ready for you to hit the gas and take off again. I have spoken with my dealer about this a few times and I guess it is normal (even though to me it feels like it holds that gear a little bit too long sometimes). The car will sprint faster when in a lower gear, and if it holds the lower gear, then it doesn't have to downshift when you go to hit the gas again because it is already in that lower gear. Then after a few moments of calmer driving, it will shift back into a higher gear... I have a different engine and trans than you do though so it could be something unrelated... Hope that explanation was beneficial nonetheless.

-Joe
Old 12-27-12, 04:06 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

It has nothing to do with your Power button. Your car will naturally stay in gear if the traction control kicks in. When you are pulling away from an acceleration where the Traction control has kicked in, the car tends to hold gear even when you let off the gas.

It happens to me all the time. It just won't shift until it decides you are not longer interested in driving crazy!
Old 12-27-12, 05:10 AM
dubzino
Driver

Yes that all makes sense. Just wanted to make sure everyone elses was the same. This is a very intelligent car and really fun to drive in power mode. Thanks guys!
Old 12-27-12, 06:06 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
It has nothing to do with your Power button. Your car will naturally stay in gear if the traction control kicks in. When you are pulling away from an acceleration where the Traction control has kicked in, the car tends to hold gear even when you let off the gas.

It happens to me all the time. It just won't shift until it decides you are not longer interested in driving crazy!
That is so true, I just kind of realized my car does that also now that you mentioned it

-Joe
Old 12-27-12, 06:33 AM
snayger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, mine does that also
Old 12-27-12, 07:59 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To get around it I just quickly switch to manual mode and then back to auto. This always "resets" the shift point for me. The issue I have experienced is the opposite. I manually downshift to get the rev up, then while I take a corner so I am easy on the gas. As i exit the curve, Lexus has already thought i was "done with my spirited drive" and upshifted. When i floor it again of course it would downshift again, but i have already lost a couple of seconds while waiting for it. Lexus does not realize that when I am in manual mode i don't want it to shift for me...ever.
Old 12-27-12, 09:37 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

That's right Kev. Very annoying indeed!

Another annoying thing in our 8 speed 460's is how long it takes for the car to decide which gear it wants to downshift to. It usually takes two tries to get it right!

But I tell you what, there is no better feeling than a kick down at 10/12 mph where it goes straight to 1st gear!!! Daaaaamn!
Old 12-27-12, 10:46 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet. All of that torque on 1st gear...must have been some rush. I have never tried such a big kick down fearing that i would see gears flying through my hood 😜
Old 12-30-12, 09:07 PM
Fongyd85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think that keeping it in power/sport mode, will cause more wear on the engine? I like how it drives in power mode but try to get comfortable in normal, assuming thats the setting the car was meant to stay in.

Quick Reply: IS this normal for a gs350?