GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus Oakland CA Refuse to service my 06 GS300 CSP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 11:03 AM
henry2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Oakland CA Refuse to service my 06 GS300 CSP

Hey Everyone,

Lexus of Oakland CA, refused to service my 06 GS300 for the engine misfire CSP. I brought in the car to have it checked out, with CSP letter in hand. My car idles really hard and feels like its going to shut down when the car is at park. Check engine light comes on occasionally and goes away. I described the problem to the Adviser.

Adviser told me "we can't do anything unless the light is on when you bring the car"

Me "so the light has to be on for you to check my car?"

Adviser "Yes, so next time just drive it straight here, because the next time you power the car all the error codes will disappear"

What a waste of my day.

Advice?

Last edited by henry2001; 12-26-12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 11:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if the car isnt duplicating the problem, how are they suppose to check it? they arent refusing to service it, they are just saying come back when it is happening.
Old 12-26-12, 11:14 AM
henry2001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if the car isnt duplicating the problem, how are they suppose to check it? they arent refusing to service it, they are just saying come back when it is happening.
So I am suppose to drive into the dealership when the light is on?

I thought the dealership is suppose to check for the error codes and run tests?
Old 12-26-12, 11:18 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

They can only check the code if its present. When you shut down the car it resets.

At least he is being honest by telling you that.
Old 12-26-12, 11:32 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
They can only check the code if its present. When you shut down the car it resets.

At least he is being honest by telling you that.

From what I understand the Lexus scanners can scan past codes. With the IS's they were able to retrieve past scans. I maybe wrong
Old 12-26-12, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its not an honesty thing, they turned away your business. The dealers do get paid for warranty work and service campaigns, Lexus just pays them instead of you. It is annoying, but they cannot/will not do anything unless they themselves can see/experience the concern. Thats a Lexus service policy so far as I can tell.
Old 12-26-12, 12:21 PM
rocketman
Driver School Candidate

Try Putnam Lexus in Redwood City. At least it's not own by a corporation. I know all of the SAs are happy to work there. And NO, I do not work there...
Old 12-26-12, 12:23 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

henry, did you plug in the scanner and cleared the code?

I was told the code doesn't clear itself. After the fix, the tech suppose to plug in the scanner and clear the code. Some problems take a long time to trigger the code, so when that light turn on don't clear the code. You can read it, just don't clear it.
Old 12-26-12, 12:40 PM
henry2001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
henry, did you plug in the scanner and cleared the code?

I was told the code doesn't clear itself. After the fix, the tech suppose to plug in the scanner and clear the code. Some problems take a long time to trigger the code, so when that light turn on don't clear the code. You can read it, just don't clear it.
I didn't clear any codes. I took it to the dealership. Adviser said the check engine light has to be on when I take the car in for them to service it.

To me that makes no sense. I would think codes are stored in the car and they would check for them.
Old 12-26-12, 12:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First welcome to CL see you recently joined.

This has nothing to do with warranty work or who will pay...its all about being lazy. Codes of this nature will be stored or pending until cleared

You can take it back and ask for them to check, go to another local Lexus dealer, or even some local auto parts stores will check for free.

Have you had any of the recent TSIB's completed? Are you aware of them??
Old 12-26-12, 04:30 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replied in the long running thread you posted the same story in - see that, and passnu2 is correct about code stored until reset.
I can vouch for that being the case, as my Lexus dealer was able to see a TPMS one, that I'd extinguished by filling the tyres, and another that was giving intermittent airbag light displaying, never to reappear since the code was cleared for when I'd ran out of fuel a good few weeks previous.
As you can see, some codes have a persistent state, and don't automatically clear themselves from the memory after 8 startups and shutdowns.

So it's time to kick that one to touch, and drive to another one, maybe after you've phoned them first, to save a wasted journey.
Old 12-26-12, 04:46 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with codes being stored, when I had the O2 sensor replaced on my paper work it showed how may times it displayed the check engine light
Old 12-26-12, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I think what the dealer is telling you is that as per the service campaign...he can only service the car if the light is on. If the light isn't on...the vehicle doesn't qualify for the campaign. That was the issue I had, if the dealer cannot see the concern firsthand the warranty will not cover the repair. It's not that he's saying he can't pull a code, it's that he can't do anything with what the code will tell him unless the light is on when it comes in.

You can take it elsewhere, but based on my experience I think the response will be the same. I had a dealer keep a car for a week one time trying to get it to show a light or do something only to return it to me with the response "I'm sure it's *x*, but I can't do anything until we see it when the fault is happening"

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-26-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 10:00 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Regardless of the check engine light being on or not, this problem is related to the recent GS300 service campaign released in August, and if a consumer comes in with complaints similar to Henry's, the dealer should run their own tests to validate the misfire being there or not. I recommend going to another dealership and giving them a shot. If that still doesn't work out, contact corporate.

It clearly states in the letter, that if you do experience it running rough, misfire, etc., to bring the car in to a dealer to schedule a diagnosis, and if applicable, a repair.

A copy of the letter can be seen HERE in the link on the post.

Btw, to Henry, you should read thru THIS THREAD. There is plenty of info on this service campaign in here. Including problems other members have been having with their dealers as well, including myself. My car is now on a list, waiting for parts to come for the repair.
Old 12-27-12, 12:44 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd drive a little further to Lexus of Serramonte & see what they say or give them a call. Always had a great experience with the service adivsor there

Quick Reply: Lexus Oakland CA Refuse to service my 06 GS300 CSP