GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My Poor GS and all i got out of it was a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 01:22 PM
Oleeks260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Poor GS and all i got out of it was a new exhaust

Guy in a charger slammed me from behind and after $19k in repairs and 7 weeks at JM Lexus all I got out of it was a F-Sport exhaust

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Oleeks260; 12-20-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 02:08 PM
Oleeks260
Driver School Candidate

Old 12-20-12, 02:17 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MM love the throatiness of the F-Sport! Very nice.
Old 12-21-12, 03:17 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So his insurance paid out for an upgrade to the exhaust system?
So you're now in a better position than where you were before the accident?
Or is your post badly phrased, and the exhaust is part of the compensation for loss in value of the car?
Purely as it reads, you should be thankful he had insurance, and you're still here to tell the tale!
Trying my very best here to not swear at people like you who think they're owed something for nothing, and that money just grows on trees!

FWIW, you're entitled to nothing more than having your vehicle repaired to the same condition and standard as prior to the accident, not modified or improved, unless you pay the difference and arrange that with the bodyshop dong the repairs.
Old 12-21-12, 04:59 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang, rough crowd...
Old 12-21-12, 07:24 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any droning with the new exhaust? How is it day to day compared with stock?
Old 12-21-12, 07:27 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the new exhaust you got there, sounds pretty good! Glad you were able to get your GS fixed.
Old 12-21-12, 04:11 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Dang, rough crowd...
Not quite, more reminding people there's no free lunch - we all end up paying higher insurance costs across the board, not just vehicular, as a result.
Is what the member ended up with morally more acceptable than if he claimed for bodily pain lasting weeks, preventing him sleeping, etc - when a couple of days on over-the-counter Ibuprofen had him as right as rain?

If we found out he was feigning injury to benefit of receiving a couple of $K, then we'd all be quite indignatious about such behaviour.
That it's a car part is immaterial - it's the selfish act of getting one over on the insurers, whom he no doubt bleats about, because of the price it costs him, if not his parents, each year.
Oh the irony of having double standards!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying his $1600 exhaust is the sole reason we all pay more for our insurances than we should - there's tremendous wastage/excess payments paid to everyone associated with the industry, and the system is fundamentally flawed and to a degree, broken - but how many OPs are there out there who're cheating the system to benefit from the situation, with a "well, everyone does it, why shouldn't I?" retort when challenged on the morals of doing so?

I've written a lot more than was ever envisaged at the outset, and I'm sure the member is now acutely aware of my disappointment in him - especially by the mannerism in expressing that he considers the F-Sport exhaust insufficient to settle the debt he believes he's owed - so I'll say no more on the matter.
Old 12-21-12, 10:04 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^What about the time wasted, and the inconvenience of not having a vehicle? Unless of course, you value your time at zero? Ehhhh

Nice exhaust OP
Old 12-22-12, 02:44 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Sorry what?
Inconvenience of a fully paid for (except fuel) loan vehicle to keep you mobile?

Wasted time?
Can't think of a more wasted use of one's time, than coming onto a forum to gurn about feeling how they haven't benefited enough from the situation!
In what way is time wasted? Driving to and etting quotes from bodyshops?
No need to do that when there are accident management companies to undertake all dealings for you, if not an option already via your insurer.
If you're not happy to leave it to someone else to decide who works on your car, then you've a vested interest in gauging for yourself which bodyshop gives you the confidence they'll fix your car with the same attention to detail as if it were the owner's/their own.

You can make all the excuses you like, in a vain attempt to defend the OP's feeling that he's not received his fair share of entitlement, but they're still just excuses - anyone with a sense of morality and maturity, knows it's not the done thing.
Old 12-22-12, 05:45 AM
KJSmitty
Driver

Wow Boron,
Your posts do make things interesting sometimes..
Even though you threw out a few question marks and tossed in words like "mannerisms" you make more assumptions here than anything. They may be sound but then again......

On the other hand your rants above do bring up good points on insurance fraud and this growing country of folks abusing entitlements. But I'm going to go out on a limb, be less judgmental until we actually "know" the circumstances, and take this post for what it very well may be. The OP might just be stating that his car was in an accident, spent 7 weeks in the shop, and the only thing different when it emerged was the exhaust. No other massive mods given its time away..

I know myself that near every time I was in an accident, at fault or not, if something being replaced could be bettered I would arrange to make that happen. Most of the time this involved me covering the difference. The other times, and this may apply in the OPs case, the insurance adjuster covers the minor cost via applying it to the diminished value portion of the settlement.

Butttttt,,, that's just the way "I chose" to read the post given the statements.

Merry Christmas all,
Old 12-22-12, 07:57 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Wow Boron,
Your posts do make things interesting sometimes..
Even though you threw out a few question marks and tossed in words like "mannerisms" you make more assumptions here than anything. They may be sound but then again......

On the other hand your rants above do bring up good points on insurance fraud and this growing country of folks abusing entitlements. But I'm going to go out on a limb, be less judgmental until we actually "know" the circumstances, and take this post for what it very well may be. The OP might just be stating that his car was in an accident, spent 7 weeks in the shop, and the only thing different when it emerged was the exhaust. No other massive mods given its time away..

I know myself that near every time I was in an accident, at fault or not, if something being replaced could be bettered I would arrange to make that happen. Most of the time this involved me covering the difference. The other times, and this may apply in the OPs case, the insurance adjuster covers the minor cost via applying it to the diminished value portion of the settlement.

Butttttt,,, that's just the way "I chose" to read the post given the statements.

Merry Christmas all,
+1

Insurance scams are costing us all, but I am not sure if it's applicable to the OP and a lot of assumptions are made in some posts here.
Old 12-22-12, 09:54 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, considering what happened at the end of the day, what was the OP hoping for as the best outcome from this?

The exhaust looks great!
Old 12-22-12, 11:44 AM
NightFury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boron
So his insurance paid out for an upgrade to the exhaust system?
So you're now in a better position than where you were before the accident?
Or is your post badly phrased, and the exhaust is part of the compensation for loss in value of the car?
Purely as it reads, you should be thankful he had insurance, and you're still here to tell the tale!
Trying my very best here to not swear at people like you who think they're owed something for nothing, and that money just grows on trees!

FWIW, you're entitled to nothing more than having your vehicle repaired to the same condition and standard as prior to the accident, not modified or improved, unless you pay the difference and arrange that with the bodyshop dong the repairs.
how about the major loss of value to his car? What he does with the depreciation loss is up to him.
Old 12-22-12, 12:06 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

He should a deminished value loss claim. I got $2600 once but it all depends on the total cost of the repair and value of the vehicle

Quick Reply: My Poor GS and all i got out of it was a new exhaust