GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 10:22 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Janet512
I been having this problem for over a year, three trips to the dealer and they tell me my car is fine and blame it on the rims i have on.

This is so annoying....
Slap the stock wheels on and take it to another dealer. Make sure to go there with the letter and tell them you are having these issues, if they deny make sure to speak to the serv manager, if he denies call Lexus Customer servc.
Old 01-24-13, 02:29 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Slap the stock wheels on and take it to another dealer. Make sure to go there with the letter and tell them you are having these issues, if they deny make sure to speak to the serv manager, if he denies call Lexus Customer servc.
Rims causing a misfire and burning oil? Now that makes a lot of sense. What are they smoking?
Old 01-25-13, 02:40 PM
rcsail
Driver School Candidate

Just looked at the U-Tube video of the GS engine tear down/repairs. Fully appreciate the frustration when your expensive ride does not run at top notch. Also the frustration of getting Lexus to document the malfunction and agree to repairs. But when you get to this spot and pass Go I would think you have to be pretty satisfied with Lexus stepping up with repairs. It has been stated in the threads the repair is at least 30 shop hours and here in the Midwest Lex labor rate is $120-$130 per hour. So that is at least like $3600 for each engine repair. Consider after repair with new rings, cleaned valves and seals, other than lower engine bearings, you pretty much have a rebuilt engine.
Would Ford, Chrysler, GM, or BMW/Audi step up with a $3,600 engine repair irrespective of how many miles on the engine?
Old 01-25-13, 02:52 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Originally Posted by rcsail
Just looked at the U-Tube video of the GS engine tear down/repairs. Fully appreciate the frustration when your expensive ride does not run at top notch. Also the frustration of getting Lexus to document the malfunction and agree to repairs. But when you get to this spot and pass Go I would think you have to be pretty satisfied with Lexus stepping up with repairs. It has been stated in the threads the repair is at least 30 shop hours and here in the Midwest Lex labor rate is $120-$130 per hour. So that is at least like $3600 for each engine repair. Consider after repair with new rings, cleaned valves and seals, other than lower engine bearings, you pretty much have a rebuilt engine.
Would Ford, Chrysler, GM, or BMW/Audi step up with a $3,600 engine repair irrespective of how many miles on the engine?

Well said... Another reason why I don't see myself steering away from Lexus, ever!
Old 01-28-13, 09:27 AM
peewhy
Driver

Originally Posted by Janet512
I been having this problem for over a year, three trips to the dealer and they tell me my car is fine and blame it on the rims i have on.

This is so annoying....
Wired they just don't wanna help cause of the aftermarket stuff I bet.

Well my 3 trip back to Cerritos Lexus and now I finally get the recall gotta wait 2 months for back order parts... Gs3 is at about 93k so glad I got the recall... I was over it the 2nd trip but the car has been acting worst when was freezing a few weeks back..
Old 01-28-13, 09:50 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Anyone know if all 2006 GS300's AWD qualify?
Old 01-28-13, 09:56 AM
Mightyiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bhuwan
Anyone know if all 2006 GS300's AWD qualify?
Yeah, it qualifies. I just dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday. It took about 3 weeks for the parts to come in. They called and said they're here, just bring your car in when you're ready. Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly.
Old 01-30-13, 02:54 PM
Leeugene
Driver School Candidate

Just curious with the other thread about water pumps going bad after 60k, if any of you had them replace your water pump while getting the misfire fixed? If so, did they charge you any additional labor? I was thinking about buying waterpump and alternator before hand and getting them install while they have everything taken apart
Old 01-30-13, 07:00 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeugene
Just curious with the other thread about water pumps going bad after 60k, if any of you had them replace your water pump while getting the misfire fixed? If so, did they charge you any additional labor? I was thinking about buying waterpump and alternator before hand and getting them install while they have everything taken apart
You have to buy the parts through them, but yes they will take off the water pump, plugs and alternator.
Old 02-01-13, 12:40 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer checked my car even before I received the official letter. They said it did not present the necessary failure codes. Lastly, my idle fluctuates between 500 and 650 and seems to get a little eratic when I brake. Yesterday, I had to stop very quickly...like a panic stop. . I actually thought it stalled when I came to a stop. There was a yellow light lit on the dash that flashed off quickly as the engine smoothed back out.

I called my service advisor and asked if this sounds like the misfire situation. He said they would be happy to check the car again anytime. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by ingoodtime; 02-18-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 02:41 PM
mr nut
Pole Position

Took my car to longo lexus yesterday, gave me an IS250 loner...

My car does qualify, but the parts are on a 4 month back order. They said they will get back to me in 4 months when the parts arrive.
Old 02-01-13, 05:59 PM
KLouDxNinE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mr nut

My car does qualify, but the parts are on a 4 month back order. They said they will get back to me in 4 months when the parts arrive.
They had my car for two months! Took it in because it was burning oil and miss firing.. I'm glad I did it before they sent out the recall letter..
Old 02-01-13, 09:34 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mr nut

SNAP 4 mos back order. My car qualified at Escondido Lexus.. 3 week wait according my service adviser. We'll see.
Old 02-02-13, 06:16 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
The deler checked my car even before I received the official letter. They said it did not present the necessary failure codes. Lastly, my idle fluctuates between 500 and 650 and seems together a little eratic when I break. Yesterday, I had to stop very quickly...like a panic stop and the engine felt rough. I actually thought it stalled when I came to a stop. There was a yellow light lit that flashed off quickly as the engine smoothed back out.

I called my service advisor and asked if this sounds like the misfire situation. He said they would be happy to check the car again anytime. Anyone have any thoughts?
So oes anyone think this is ca used by the rings and the misfire situation?
Old 02-03-13, 09:32 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought this car in december, drove it to Tennessee to visit family. Started car in the cold and car starts with a very weird shake. Two seconds later, check engine light went on. Took the car to auto zone to read the codes, misfires in random cylinders, comes back with a bunch of codes. Cleared the codes as auto zone said might be a lot of things but clear the code and see if it comes back (My brother knows the manager so he was cool with reseting the codes). Ever since then, horrible rough idle and worse start.

Every since reading this thread, I took the car to bay ridge Lexus yesterday, asking the service "consultant" to see if I qualify for the misfire recall. He looks at me with a smirk, looks at the computer and says theres nothing we can do. If you spoke to someone in Lexus, have them call me. Then he tells me how my car still has extended warranty but he wont honor it since its still registered to the previous owner???? I am showing him the registration that I own the car and if the extended warranty exists, why can't they do anything.

Outraged, I am going to call Lexus tomorrow. My family has bought two Lexus cars over the last few years and four total from that dealership. I highly do not recommend anyone to go to Bay Ridge Lexus or any of their dealerships. My cousin is experiencing similar issues and he has a 2013 Pathfinder!

Does anyone know a dealer around the New York area that can honor this recall?

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire