GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 08:15 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sklexus
anyone has any idea if this applies to canada too?
No it doesn't, not yet and maybe never. The lesson if they don't bring it to Canada is to not buy any more Lexus vehicles in Canada as Lexus Canada seriously seems to suck for customer service compared to our southern neighbors.

The only other Japanese choices would be Acura or Infiniti and neither of those brands really strike any chords with me either so I don't know where to turn... driving a euro also goes against all of my common sense on top of the fact that the euro brands are so extremely " me too" in my eyes.
Old 01-07-13, 07:42 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refresher....
I have an '06 GS300 120K miles with service/records every 5K miles since birth. Currently consuming 5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. Diagnosed with bad Cat converter on bank 2 ($2K repair) at 110K miles. Dropped off 1/4/13 for misfire service. I don't know about your Lexus dealer, but Lexus of Portland always gives us a loaner when we go in for service even if it's just an oil change. Typically we get the RX but this time, got a brand spank'n new '13 GS350 F Sport That's another story.......Got a call today and looks like they will be doing a top engine clean tomorrow and ordering parts for the rebuild.....X2 I asked if it made sense to do the engine clean now rather then just wait and do it when the parts come in. Service guy (Scott) says, "that's what Lexus has us doing". Hopefully, It will only be a couple weeks for parts....TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>
Old 01-08-13, 08:20 AM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Just received a call from Scott at Lexus. Tech says now is the time to replace spark plugs since they are exposed during to top engine clean. $117 now vs $700 later. Is there anything else in that area I should consider replacing while it's open?
Old 01-08-13, 08:33 AM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention. Lexus of Portland didn't even care about the piece of paper I received in the mail. Didn't even look at it.....
Old 01-09-13, 10:23 AM
LEXUS40
Driver School Candidate

December 2011 on Christmas Eve I was driving & my Low Engine Oil Light beeped and the light came on, Concerned me because my car is at the Lexus Dealership every 6k miles for an oil change. I called Lexus & drove my car to them immediately. They called me the next day & said I had a piston ring that was leaking & it would be $7500 to repair. My husband said that's bs so we ignored it because there wasn't ever oil on my engine or my garage floor. My low engine oil light has coninued to come on 1000k miles before the oil change so I add 2 quarts & continued to drive it. In Nov 2012 I received a letter from Lexus about this misfire & called them. They said they didn't have aything listed for my car even though I had the letter in my hands with my VIN on it. I scheduled a service appt & they picked up my car along with my letter. I received a call that my engine would be done at no cost to me & they'd order the parts. My car is at the dealership now & the work is complete. I received a call from my service advisor yesterday & they also replaced my water pump as well as my spark plugs. I'll be getting my car back tomorrow morning. My car is an 06 &I bought it new & have taken really could care of it & have done all the maintenance on it. I bought it Sept 05, it's an 06 & I have 125,000 miles on it.

I've always loved Lexus & I love them even more now! They really do take care of their customers! I'll buy another Lexus once this one decides to die. I hope to get 300,000 miles out of this one.
Old 01-09-13, 10:26 AM
LEXUS40
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by CRAB
Just received a call from Scott at Lexus. Tech says now is the time to replace spark plugs since they are exposed during to top engine clean. $117 now vs $700 later. Is there anything else in that area I should consider replacing while it's open?
Lexus recommended that my water pump also be replaced. They actually replaced my water pump & spark plugs as no charge to me. I get my car back tomorrow so I'll post how it drives after all the new engine parts. Super excited!!
Old 01-10-13, 03:20 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

Took mine back to the dealership today for the oil consumption test. It failed. They will be doing the rebuild when the parts arrive. I appreciate Tom Williams Lexus for taking care of me on this one.
Old 01-11-13, 06:34 AM
BinaryJay

The more I read just how many of the cars out there seem to "have the problem" (all of them?) and every person that I read reports that lexus is taking care of them just makes me angrier and angrier with lexus canada... we have the same cars with the same problems and paid MORE for them so what's their problem?
Old 01-11-13, 03:05 PM
gtmax
Driver

Originally Posted by Nzaw4
Hi guys,

New user here.

Recently bought my first Lexus, which was a 2006 GS300 RWD, with about 69k in miles.

When i was test driving the CPO gs300, the VSC/maintinace light came on. Since day one, i have fell in love with the 3rd gen GS's. So in my mind it was already made up, especially with the fact that Lexus Carlsbad told me that they will fix that issue, but also repaint my front end for free!

Bought the car in October, have only driven my car for about a week and a half. The reason is beucase the service manager dosnt want me driving the car i just bought with these issues, and has given me 4 different loaners since! (2 ES350's, IS250, and currently a CT200h)

I love the level of professional service these guys have given me.

So i received a call from my service manager, they received in the parts in last week, just put the car together, and now the car is hitting the body shop for a new coat of paint! Will finally have my baby back i hope right before Christmas!

I might have gotten preferable treatment due to the fact that i did just purchase that car, but don't give up guys if you truly have this issue!

As stated earlier in this thread by multiple people, reach out to corporate, send letters, make sure you voice is heard! Just please be nice about it!
That's great news to hear. It's just crazy that our experiences at the dealer are so vastly different. I continually get ****ty service every time i go in. When you look like me you can't help but wonder if it comes with the territory lol. I get ignored in the waiting area and end up waiting forever for my car to get back to me. I went in to program a new key i had ordered from Sewell and the sales guy i saw kept asking me if Sewell was a legit Lexus dealer. Like if i wouldn't ****ing know the difference!

I'm pretty sure i have this issue as well. My idle was always very rough - it was the first thing i noticed the first time i turned on the car at the dealer. I'm coming from a GS400 that was MUCH smoother than this, engine wise. Now in the winter the idle is initially very high at first, takes forever to warm up and then the rpms are erratic after that.

I do have a guy that i try to deal with consistently at Lexus, a sales guy. Hopefully he'll have heard of this issue. My car is also under warranty - would my extended warranty cover this service, in case they aren't willing to honor it? I never got the letter i don't think.
Old 01-12-13, 07:59 AM
BinaryJay

Just replaced a rear O2 sensor... So I got the old sensor in my hands now, it has like 4000 miles on it only since it was replaced via a TSB under warranty a while ago (don't drive the car much...).

The tip is kind of black, it's not sooty or oily but it has a black coating on it... does this indicate that the car has this oil burning condition or is it pretty normal?
Old 01-12-13, 08:05 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Just replaced a rear O2 sensor... So I got the old sensor in my hands now, it has like 4000 miles on it only since it was replaced via a TSB under warranty a while ago (don't drive the car much...).

The tip is kind of black, it's not sooty or oily but it has a black coating on it... does this indicate that the car has this oil burning condition or is it pretty normal?

Black on an o2 is normal, now if it was oily sludge then ya problem.

Why not do a top engine clean at a shop? There services like BG that are pretty good
Old 01-12-13, 08:09 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Black on an o2 is normal, now if it was oily sludge then ya problem.

Why not do a top engine clean at a shop? There services like BG that are pretty good
There's no sludge, it's black but dry... the black coating can be scraped off with my nail but it doesn't really come off with my finger it's not powdery. This sensor died due to driving through standing water in a big storm during the summer, or at least the codes started right during that stupid drive.

Lexus did the top engine clean while it was under warranty not long after the O2 sensors were replaced the first time... part of the reason why the car is not really exhibiting the symptoms right now and what worries me if this more permanant fix ever does come to canada they'll say the car is fine. Yeah because they did the bandaid fix already...

Just worried about oil consumption now.
Old 01-12-13, 09:08 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Binaryjay,

I think you are a bit paranoid, lots of cars have the direct injection setup with carbon buildup. A few preventive steps and you can avoid the build up. Not many carbon cars have blown there engines from it.

Just make sure to not baby the engine, step on the gas and accelerate the car this will help burn off carbon. There have been IS250's with over 250-300K miles on them that never had top engine cleaning or issues with carbon.

Worst case if your engine is badly built up, you can pay a mechanic to take off the intake manifold and manual scrape the carbon off. Guys have paid roughly $300-500 for this.

But like I said keep a heavy foot on the pedal and dont worry about it just enjoy the car
Old 01-12-13, 01:16 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Binaryjay,

I think you are a bit paranoid, lots of cars have the direct injection setup with carbon buildup. A few preventive steps and you can avoid the build up. Not many carbon cars have blown there engines from it.

Just make sure to not baby the engine, step on the gas and accelerate the car this will help burn off carbon. There have been IS250's with over 250-300K miles on them that never had top engine cleaning or issues with carbon.

Worst case if your engine is badly built up, you can pay a mechanic to take off the intake manifold and manual scrape the carbon off. Guys have paid roughly $300-500 for this.

But like I said keep a heavy foot on the pedal and dont worry about it just enjoy the car
I'm more concerned about the car burning excessive amounts of oil as people are starting to report and leading to expensive repairs like cats. It's impossible for me to really know if it's burning oil or not because I don't drive nearly enough between oil changes.
Old 01-12-13, 01:34 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

If you know how to take off the spark plugs you can buy a can or two of Mopar combustion cleaning foam. Take off the plugs, spray a lot into the spark holes, and let it sit for a night. Then put the plugs back in.

That should help break down a lot of the carbon.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire