GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The infamous problem of the wet rear carpets

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 08:00 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry The infamous problem of the wet rear carpets

Hello,
Noticed today I have the famous wet rear carpet area, I was noticing damp/watery type of smell in my car and was always checking the front carpets. Well today I picked up my rear mat to notice its all wet under the mat both driver rear and passenger rear. I need A/C - Water Leaks Onto Front/Rear Floor Feb 09, 2010 SB0017-10 tsb to print out and A/C - Intermittent Odor Problem Mar 17, 2010 SB0011-09R1. I have extended warranty and I am going to bring it in on wednesday so i will need them before just in case they give me a hard time.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 08-27-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 01:27 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a sunroof on your car, the first thing to check is it isn't any of the drains blocked.
Old 08-28-12, 10:21 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

How would sunroof drain affect anything if i barely even open it, its not like the water goes through the rubber piece around the sunroof and drains into my car
Old 08-28-12, 02:24 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Actually that's where you're wrong - water does get past the seal, and there's drains in each corner where the water flows into and down and out at the wheel wells.
As the water ingression is at the rear, what has you surmising it's AC related?
The blower and evaporator are behind the glovebox in the front.

Not saying you're definitely wrong, but just that it's best to rule out the more obvious place of entry from a blocked drain tube first, before exploring the AC route.
Old 08-28-12, 06:20 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has extended warranty, if they'll work on it under warranty who cares about speculation.
Old 08-28-12, 10:52 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Yea i got extended warranty , let see what they say.

Actually that's where you're wrong - water does get past the seal, and there's drains in each corner where the water flows into and down and out at the wheel wells.
As the water ingression is at the rear, what has you surmising it's AC related?
The blower and evaporator are behind the glovebox in the front.

Not saying you're definitely wrong, but just that it's best to rule out the more obvious place of entry from a blocked drain tube first, before exploring the AC route.
If that was the case, then I would hear wind noise while driving from that seal, as we know anywhere water travels so can air. I am not trying to say you are wrong but I checked the holes today and they seem to be clear. Also why in the world would in go into my interior? Imagine its a simple drain tube, water gets filled to the middle, in the middle lets say there is dirt/rock blocking the passage way. So the tube should just hold the water there, there is not enough pressure to break the tube and go into the interior. This is something I just don't understand. Also if this was the case, and a famous case among 3GS owners they would of had a TSB regarding this issue, but instead they have a TSB for AC drain tube, now here is the catch I had my AC on, I ducked under the car and noticed the water leaking from under the car without a problem. So at this point I am lost.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 08-28-12 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 04:13 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Most, if not every sunroof drainage system is the same.
You won't hear any air rushing, as we're not talking a gap that's clearly visible, but believe me when say, if it was truly sealed, then there'd be absolutely no need for drains, would there?
Rubber shrinks and expands, as well as deteriorates over time.
I had an issue with the Honda - rear passenger footwell soaking on the driver's side.
Never appeared after a downpour, but often when it was that constant heavy drizzle coming down.
Where was the problem? Front driver's drain - not blocked but somehow had retracted into where it came out of the chassis, and the water was draining in instead of outside.
Strange how the water only made it into the rear footwell, and not the driver's, but that's where it managed to collect.
Old 08-29-12, 01:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Update: wen't down to lexus, showed them the TSB for HVAC drain blockage, also told them that when i run my ac there is water coming from under the car. He said well then its not the ac but sunroof drain. Thats me talking to a service advisor, he also said that the extended warranty for cover it right away, he said there is another car getting the same thing and he also has extended warranty, he even said I can call lexus headquarters. We wen't ahead and called lexus together they confirmed water, and blocked drains are not covered. He said it would cost $250 to diagnose and then ton of labor. I said I won't do it, he suggested to get wiper washer fluid and check that every hole in the sunroof is draining water. Came back to my shop we did that, once i poured water into the sunroof holes it drained out of like 6 holes on each side without a problem. So the mystery is still out of how the water got in there, my mechanic said probably a car wash when they wash the mats they don't dry them and thats how it build up there. I dried the floors, I also high pressured hose the sunroof holes just incase. Ill keep on checking see if it still becomes wet.
Old 08-30-12, 06:31 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

$250 diagnosis... instead diagnostic fee everywhere usually fixed at the cost of 1 hour labor?
Old 08-30-12, 08:28 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Yea, im pretty sure they would of called me and said they need to take the carpets out to see where its coming from, which would involve into much more labor.
Old 08-31-12, 05:37 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

So far been running the car 2 days with ac blasting, i dried out the carpets eliminated the smell, i keep checking if the ac drain is draining and its working fine. Mystery is still out of how it got there, but im keeping a very close eye on the rear carpets.
Old 08-03-15, 06:51 PM
CABGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any solution to date?

I just got a 2006 Lexus GS300 a few months ago. I love driving this car! However the GPS and the rear carpets being wet are driving me crazy. I was able to get the grommet removed for the AC and it is now dripping quite well when running the AC, however, my rear carpets are getting wet every time it rains. I am hoping someone has figured this out. Any luck with anyone? I am taking to a good friend who is a Master ASE mechanic on Thursday. I will make sure I follow up and let people know if we find something, in the meantime, I will hope for a solution before Thu. Thank you all!
Old 08-04-15, 07:07 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sunroof tracks clogged maybe?
Old 08-04-15, 03:02 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CABGS300
I just got a 2006 Lexus GS300 a few months ago. I love driving this car! However the GPS and the rear carpets being wet are driving me crazy. I was able to get the grommet removed for the AC and it is now dripping quite well when running the AC, however, my rear carpets are getting wet every time it rains. I am hoping someone has figured this out. Any luck with anyone? I am taking to a good friend who is a Master ASE mechanic on Thursday. I will make sure I follow up and let people know if we find something, in the meantime, I will hope for a solution before Thu. Thank you all!
Well it ended up being car wash guys who washed my all seasons mats did not dry them properly and when they would lay the mats in the back they still would of been wet. Lexus suggested I would take windshield wiper fluid (blue or Orange) and open the sunroof ,poor around the tracks and see if the water drips from under the car. I did that and it did so my drains are not clogged.