GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

display and buttons wont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 02:12 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default display and buttons wont work

I looked at the threads for this combination of problems but cant find a similar situation. The nav screen was saying "system loading" and the bar across the top (similar to the bar on your pc when you are downloading a program) would get half way across then start reloading all over again. When I pushed the nav button or the map button- I got nothing. Now the display is black and says Please check system. I can't control the radio from any of the dash buttons or the steering wheel button. I have no functioning buttons for the AC or defrost. .....Essentially the entire instrument panel on the dash isnt working and the touch screen display is out.
The air is coming out of the vents, but I cant control it. The radio wont turn on at all.

This all started happening after the car was at the dealer for several weeks to fix a piston issue. I am sure the battery had been unhooked a few times. Is this electrical- fuses- battery?? HELP!!
Old 07-30-12, 04:48 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With respect, if this is a first-time occurrence and you've only just had the car returned to you after the engine work was done, I'd be straight back at them, telling them they've done or caused something.
A simple battery unhooking a few times wouldn't have caused this, so it's purely coincidence or something more has occurred whilst with them.

If a fuse has gone, it results in no worky mode - so it's not likely to be that.
As for electrical gremlins - possibly if something hasn't been hooked up correctly, but I'm sort of clutching at straws a bit.
I'd expect there's a code or two stored, so having it read and cross-referenced would be a start.
From there you'll be better informed as to what's being suggested as faulty, and how that could've been the fault of the dealer or just an unfortunate coincidence - and was going to happen a bit further down the line.

Good luck with the initial exploration - hopefully it's not something terminal, but if it is, hit up Lexus Corp if the dealer maintains it couldn't have been anything they did from working on the engine.
To me, it does sound like the navi/audio ECU (that whole bit that comes out when installing an iPod adapter) is banjaxed.
That's a $2-3K job, iirc, to put right.

Might also be worth a chat with a local-ish independent mechanic/shop to see if it's likely the system could be corrupted somehow by restoring and removing power, prior to contacting and returning to the dealership.
Old 07-31-12, 01:08 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I noticed that my back up camera will not work sometimes (just a black screen) especially if the car sits out in the sun for a while and the temperature is hot in the car. When this happens, it returns to normal after cooling the car down from driving. Has this happened to anyone?