GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why Did You Choose the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 10:05 AM
fruitycups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Did You Choose the GS?

Just curious, what made you choose the GS over the likes of a 5 series, E class, Infiniti M, or even the 3 series, c class, g37, or the IS.
Old 07-24-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

on my 2008 gs
- e class was old, started 2003 (vs 2006 for gs), nav system is bad
- still couldn't get over the 5 series look, interior isn't very refined
- never really consider infiniti, doesn't feel right
- 3 and c and is too small, didn't make sense for us
Old 07-24-12, 11:37 AM
ferrerski
Rookie

2007 GS 450H
- Toyota reliability and maintenance cost
- I like the 5 series a lot, but I just don't feel the reliability is as good as a Lexus (same thing w/ E class)
- E class looks boring (unless you're talking about the E55, but that's a different story)
- The 450H is a unique hybrid with it's power
- Infiniti M didn't seem luxurious compared to the GS
- Infiniti G, 3 Series and C Class are too small and I don't feel are in the same class
Old 07-24-12, 12:18 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitycups
Just curious, what made you choose the GS over the likes of a 5 series, E class, Infiniti M, or even the 3 series, c class, g37, or the IS.
5 series, = cheap interior, tear easy, and the fake leather is a joke technology is outdated, noisy AC
Eclass = i would go for E class but maintaince and 12 spark plugs is are joke also, technology is outdated, and AC are weak
Infiniti M = looks cool but paint job is a joke, all their stupid electrical problem is a joke lot of road noise
3 series = if 5 series interior is a joke 3 is actually a lot worse, to be 3 series is for people who wanted a BMW but can't get a real one so they go for it, 335i is slightly different story most of my friends has them but they visit the dealer more than they visit the gas station, a big joke AND BMW USE GM TRANSMISSION!!!!
c class = had 2 W203 and a few months of W204, they were good but age pretty fast, love them no joke
G37 = had G35 all high school kids has one they are crappy joke i feel like a Kia Rio has better quality than that
IS = add pen in front of it and tell me if u get this joke

and why did i pick GS?
size is perfect, roomy and legroom enough for 5, its not too big nor too small, just perfect family sedan, easy to go anywhere, love the technology lexus always offer, seat is always comfy, AC is always ice cold and quiet. car is dead quiet even curising 70mph, if i need power punch it 0-60 in 5.2second, if i wanna save gas it could get 28mpg it is consider a luxury car, but it doesn't stand out as much like BMW or MB which is what i like, it holds its value pretty well,

anyway

here is a potato
The following users liked this post:
ShodGS350 (04-14-19)
Old 07-24-12, 01:01 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an LS400 before.

I also had an MB S500 at some point.

I got a Lexus because its reliable, looks awesome and is pretty quick. GS430.

German cars are not reliable and are very expensive to maintain.

I rather invest my money rather than waste it on stupid things like keeping a German car running.
Old 07-24-12, 01:19 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

2011 GS 350 AWD
-Reliability of a Toyota/Lexus
-Bought in Feb of 2012 just before the 4GS hit the show room. Dealerships were trying to flush all the outgoing model and offering great deal on it.
-I buy a car to keep and drive comfortably for 10years or more. Not something I want to trade every 2-3 years. Buying German car would not allow me to do this

Last edited by NickL; 07-24-12 at 01:23 PM.
ShodGS350 (04-14-19)
Old 07-24-12, 01:51 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- GS was (I don't think it is anymore) the best value.
- Toyota reliability.
Old 07-24-12, 02:55 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I choose GS over than Infiniti M and G. G is too small. M is nice but issue problem in auto tune shop. Audi A4 is okay but maintain is a pain. In bham, a lot of BMW, Audi, and MB. I like GS coz Toyota made an excellent car and most reliabltity.
ShodGS350 (04-14-19)
Old 07-24-12, 06:36 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Similar to others:

5 Series:
-Still think the last gen (Chris Bangle design) is a work of art (I know many will disagree). It had a unique set of curves that worked.
-BMW interiors are fantastic if you are a robot. Lacks personality.
-Was not pleased that I would have to pay $55,000+ and get pleather.
-Suspect reliability (deal killer as I keep my cars for 10 years+)

3 Series
-Have you tried to sit behind the driver who has a normal length legs? Game over.

Infiniti
-Dash/Instrument Panel a bit cheesy

Did not try EClass as MB reliability was a non starter. IS too small (see 3 series)

GS350
-Sleek body
-Steel guages in the instrument panel (think about the % of time spent looking at the car...what are you looking at?)
-Reliability
-Option to option one of the best values in its class....the way the packages are now, I think things have changed.

I would say the part of the car that is starting to look dated is the rear end.

I think they could have also done so much more w the electronics. I have a cassette player for God sakes. Thank God I have an AUX jack to plug my iphone/ipod into! In 2008 ipods were already ubiquitous....so not sure what they were thinking.

And of course the nightmare with the windshield rattles (finally silent after pulling the dash and experimenting with black felt and lubricant spray.

Other than that...still love the ride and I enjoy driving it everyday.
Old 07-25-12, 06:28 AM
Flymase
Rookie

I fell in love with the gen 2 gs when I was in high school (97-98 I think). When I got to college I grew bored with it and didn't care for it to much since everyone had one. When I graduated college Gen3 just came out and thought it was boring looking. At my first real job I had a coworker with the G and when we went to lunch the back seat was too small. Then we had the coworker with money to blow who had the latest 335i then later traded to the m3. 3 series is way to small. I was driving a 99 TL at the time and was on transmission number 3, so I was done with that brand. The third gen grew on me and after seeing the 4th gen I pulled the trigger on gen3. The Bentley Continental GT is my dream car but after my GS I don't want to own anymore Luxury than the GS (well maybe an LS but when the kids are gone).
Old 07-25-12, 06:39 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I came over from the dark side that was (and is) Cadillac. And frankly I just gave up waiting for Cadillac to build a world class RWD car that I could fit my kids in the back, get decent mileage, was fun to drive to and from work, and that wouldn't eat $1000 in unexpected repairs every year.

Not only is Cadillac unable to make that car TODAY... turns out that Lexus has been making that car for half a decade now!

Tail lights are kinda fugly... not sure why there are so many body kits for this car, when what (all) it really cries out for is a new tail light "kit".

Love the GS, it is faster, more reliable, more comfortable, has more toys and gets about 50% better mileage than my Cadillac STS. Should have bought one of these YEARS ago!

Last edited by 2008GSh; 07-25-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 09:59 AM
gizmo7718
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 GS350 RWD
- Toyota/Lexus reliability
- oh, and the car's lines just looks so nice
ShodGS350 (04-14-19)
Old 07-25-12, 11:54 AM
Kafella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fruitycups
Like everyone else said... the GS is a reliable vehicle with plenty of room and it rides smooth. It's not a money pit vehicle at all compared to most of the cars you mention.
Old 07-25-12, 05:56 PM
ziwang55
Driver School Candidate

reliability!!!
Old 07-25-12, 06:05 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I looked at BMW and Mercedes and Infiniti, They all were nice but some had issues and reliability and cost of maintenance was a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Why Did You Choose the GS?