ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011-153/)
-   -   What aftermarket Battery Should I Replace OEM with? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/644069-what-aftermarket-battery-should-i-replace-oem-with.html)

Mesca 07-09-12 12:26 AM

What aftermarket Battery Should I Replace OEM with?

So I've replaced most of my lights with LED's, have a radar detector, 2 chargers for my phone and iPod, as well as a 500W amp and JL 12 W3 sub. Stock battery is practically dead to the point where I need an external jump every other time. I'm looking for a battery replacement that can provide the car with enough juice! I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the alternator either..but I'm pretty positive it's the battery.

So far I've looked at Interstate and DieHard batteries. If anyone could chime in on the size or type of battery they bought and recommend would love to hear your input! Thanks :)

XxGoKoUxX 07-09-12 02:27 AM

yeah, stock battery sucks balls :)

Optima yellow top, the biggest size possible will fit, but i opted for the one right under the largest one.

D34/78 is the size I used, you'll have to bend the terminals out a little bit (very little modification tbh for a very high output battery).

I used that and I had to use some adaptors to get it to fit in my car properly (because the battery's smaller than O.E.).

I'd say you can squeeze in a D27F in there if you so desire, a lot more juice for your amp and future needs!

GS350Lexus 07-09-12 10:16 AM

I am using duralast gold, it comes with 6 year warranty and has more capacity then yellow top. You can purchase it in auto zone.

worker 07-09-12 11:06 AM

Yellow top is reverse for my car terminal. (GS430) so I use red top.

Roe 07-09-12 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX (Post 7345316)
yeah, stock battery sucks balls :)

Optima yellow top, the biggest size possible will fit, but i opted for the one right under the largest one.

D34/78 is the size I used, you'll have to bend the terminals out a little bit (very little modification tbh for a very high output battery).

I used that and I had to use some adaptors to get it to fit in my car properly (because the battery's smaller than O.E.).

I'd say you can squeeze in a D27F in there if you so desire, a lot more juice for your amp and future needs!

Yup, this right here.

Ap1_Alan 07-09-12 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus (Post 7345973)
I am using duralast gold, it comes with 6 year warranty and has more capacity then yellow top. You can purchase it in auto zone.

I just replaced my batter with this too. After doing a some research, it appears Optima's quality has really gone down in recent years, so I went with the duralast gold.

uncandid 07-09-12 11:51 AM

Yeah Optima has really gone down . I think one of the best batteries right now are the Costco brand. They are basically the same as Interstate batteries that are made by Johnson Controls. They have great CCA ratings and the warranty is awesome.
Your car runs off of the alternator when the engine is running. The battery is only there to start the car and to power the car in accessory mode which you won't be using most of the time anyway and even if you did time to time to listen to the stereo or anything, a regualr battery is fine. There is really no reason why you need an optima battery in my opinion.

mr nut 07-09-12 12:23 PM

I would go with this...dont really need to spend the extra dough for the optima.

burny 07-09-12 12:58 PM

+7 Duralast Gold in both Lexus and the 4runner

saefongc90 07-09-12 01:20 PM

Optima yellow top enough said lol.

Mesca 07-09-12 04:03 PM

Thanks fellas! Just got the Duralast Gold for $110. They wanted $50 to install and I was like wtf no way that's half the price of the battery! I end up doing it myself. But the Asst. manager ended up just helping me installing it for free! :thumbup: Thanks for good look CL fam!

XxGoKoUxX 07-09-12 08:30 PM

o'rly? I didn't like the duralast gold because it needs to be replaced often (I mean, no complaints but still).

Originally Posted by worker (Post 7346098)
Yellow top is reverse for my car terminal. (GS430) so I use red top.

Are you sure worker? I use the Yellow top in my vehicle, 2006 GS430. Like I said, you need to bend the terminals a bit to get them to fit right, but MAN do they perform well :)

Originally Posted by Roe (Post 7346105)
Yup, this right here.

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan (Post 7346180)
I just replaced my batter with this too. After doing a some research, it appears Optima's quality has really gone down in recent years, so I went with the duralast gold.

Really now?.... I got my Optima battery for $125 after MIR and instant discount. Both ordered throug hthe phone because advanced auto doesn't let you buy what you want, they go by the suggestions :(

Originally Posted by saefongc90 (Post 7346454)
Optima yellow top enough said lol.

+1!!

Originally Posted by Mesca (Post 7346811)
Thanks fellas! Just got the Duralast Gold for $110. They wanted $50 to install and I was like wtf no way that's half the price of the battery! I end up doing it myself. But the Asst. manager ended up just helping me installing it for free! :thumbup: Thanks for good look CL fam!

what ridiculous place charged u? All battery changes at all the local auto parts stores do it for FREE. My guess is you got it from advanced/autozone, right?

GS350Lexus 07-09-12 08:33 PM

No problem man, i also threw out the plastic piece that hugged the oem battery it just wouldn't fit. I have had it for 6 months and i cant oill the battery im all stock but blasting music while car is off didn't last long on my oem while here it lasted for atleast 2 hours.

Mesca 07-09-12 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX (Post 7347375)
what ridiculous place charged u? All battery changes at all the local auto parts stores do it for FREE. My guess is you got it from advanced/autozone, right?

Haha Autozone. The guy helping me out was a car junkie too, he had an EK and helped me out for free anyway :p

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus (Post 7347384)
No problem man, i also threw out the plastic piece that hugged the oem battery it just wouldn't fit. I have had it for 6 months and i cant oill the battery im all stock but blasting music while car is off didn't last long on my oem while here it lasted for atleast 2 hours.

Heh that plastic piece was giving us trouble during installation too. I kept it on though because it a bracket stuck on that held two clips for a certain electrical wire. Good to hear I could blast my music for much longer than stock would allow me!

maying856 07-10-12 01:16 AM

Duralast gold for me as well, outstanding battery with excellent warranty