GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

08 GS350 with 57k, Do I need to change the spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 07:18 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

each car is different, my GS430 was a PITB, but it was well worth it. All except the rear 2 were still okay to use (all of them were changed anyways). All in all it is very do-able with some elbow grease and time to yourself! And yeah, I did mine's at the 60k interval just like Boron claimed
Old 07-03-12, 07:23 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
If you follow the scheduled maintenance, then they should be changed at 60 K Miles (96 K km). I ordered mine at Sewell for $77.70 and had a local Lexus certified garage (Bullock City) changed them out for $90.00. The Toyota dealership in my area quoted $185.00 and Lexus dealer at $500.00 (what a rip off!).
Toyota will do the service for Lexus car at cheaper price?
I was wondering to bring my GS for oil change in Toyota dealership before.
They sent me coupon for $24.99 which Lexus offered $59.99 for the oil change.
Is there anyone has experience with the Toyota's service for Lexus car?
Old 07-03-12, 07:30 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by janmy7
There should be no difference in quality of service.
Old 07-03-12, 11:22 AM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars have iridium spark plugs that are rated for 120K. If you have iridium you can probably go longer than 60k as they are rated at 120k but for non direct injection engines. Our direct injection engines create more carbon buildup than port injection systems. This shortens the life of the plugs because of the carbon build up on the plugs

Lexus recemmeded this change because it is required under federal emissions laws for warranty purposes.
Old 07-03-12, 12:33 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks uncandid - don't know why I was thinking platinum rather than iridium, which is a very hard material.
Interesting to hear they're good for double the mileage on non-direct injection engines.

That said, I don't know about the carbon build-up being the case for early retirement - as some will know, I'm a fond fan and proposer of the BG Products, especially 44K in this case, and they mention deposits on the valves, piston crowns, and injectors, along with gumming of the injectors, but nothing about removing any build-up on the plugs.

If you're right, then I wonder if the mileage is doable, but only if you maintain cleanliness through the like of BG44K?
If so, then I take back my derision of the aforementioned mechanic who suggested 90K was fine.
Old 07-03-12, 02:25 PM
socal3gs
Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
Thanks uncandid - don't know why I was thinking platinum rather than iridium, which is a very hard material.
Interesting to hear they're good for double the mileage on non-direct injection engines.

That said, I don't know about the carbon build-up being the case for early retirement - as some will know, I'm a fond fan and proposer of the BG Products, especially 44K in this case, and they mention deposits on the valves, piston crowns, and injectors, along with gumming of the injectors, but nothing about removing any build-up on the plugs.

If you're right, then I wonder if the mileage is doable, but only if you maintain cleanliness through the like of BG44K?
If so, then I take back my derision of the aforementioned mechanic who suggested 90K was fine.
I was thinking going to change it at 70k due to im at 67k and read your prior post.
Old 07-03-12, 02:34 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by janmy7
I have done nearly all of my oil changes at the local Toyota dealer. Service has been excellent. Did this to save money compared to Lexus. Certification cant be all that different.
Old 07-03-12, 03:12 PM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boron

Hey Boron,

I just put a can of 44k in my tank on the last oil change for the first time. Do you notice any imporvements when you use it or do you do it for more of preventative thing? I usually use techron, with also has good pea levels.
Old 07-03-12, 07:35 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Techron is Chevron/Texaco's branding of the same thing, which BG uses (owns?).
Essentially 44K has a greater concentration of the additive, which for those in the UK who use Cleanburn domestic heating oil, has a percentage in that too.

I used to be in Ireland on a number of occasions, and would fill it up at Texaco stations, since the Euro exchange rate meant it was a fair bit cheaper.
I always felt the car ran better, even with regular UL (95 RON), and economy was better.
Only they have the Techron additive, whereas the UK mainland ones don't.

After chatting with the UK distributor, I used it a couple of times and CF5 two or three times thereafter, as well.
So, for me, it seemed to work - especially with the ongoing trickle amount each time I put some petrol in at a Texaco station.
A cumulative effect, I suppose.

Tried SUL (98 RON) from Texaco, and BP/Shell - never found any difference in economy or smoothness in running, so have stuck with the cheaper (quite a bit) regular.
After 6 and a bit years of ownership, I'd like to think I'm well in tune with the car, and my "experiences" have been genuine and not placebo effects.
If they somehow were, then it's only a bit of money I've squandered.
Old 07-03-12, 07:47 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socal3gs
I was thinking going to change it at 70k due to im at 67k and read your prior post.
Rather than do it at a specific mileage, do it when you or the dealer / indy garage are next doing your annual service.
I presume you're doing oil and filter in 3K miles time, hence the round 70 number?
If the service is due to fall around the 75K mark, when you'll be doing the oil and filter again, then if the car's driving fine as it is, you're more than likely to be alright until then.
Old 07-05-12, 12:06 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Spark plugs are due at 60K I did them and there was a difference, not to say they couldn't go longer but they were starting to look bad when I changed them at 61k, so I would do it.
Old 02-25-13, 02:07 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

does anybody know if the labor to change plugs would be included when the valve spring recall work is being done. I have heard some stating that the dealership only charged for the plugs cause they were already in there. Im at 62k and the dealership is trying to schedule me for the recall work.
Old 02-25-13, 02:22 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There would be no additional labor, only the cost of the plugs as the plugs have to be removed to perform the recall.
Old 02-25-13, 11:48 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JSM1284
There would be no additional labor, only the cost of the plugs as the plugs have to be removed to perform the recall.
Thanks, thats what I was told by the dealership tonight. Would not normally have plugs installed from the dealership, but since they are selling the plugs to me for $108 and doing the install for free as part of the valve spring recall, it works out.

The normal labor for these plugs installed at the dealership is simply outrageous. I figured a 60k tune up including the plugs would be the price of what some were being quoted for just the plugs installed.

Well, at least I get a free oil change and free labor on the plugs install for the inconvenience.
Old 02-26-13, 08:14 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is too much for the plugs. Tell them you will only pay MSRP on the plugs at no mark up.

Quick Reply: 08 GS350 with 57k, Do I need to change the spark plugs?