GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-09-15, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 GS350 Rear Brake Caliper - Lexus wont help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 01:31 PM
uMulla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GS350 Rear Brake Caliper - Lexus wont help

Hey everyone, I have a 2007 Lexus Gs350 and my right rear brake caliper has failed, it has gotten stuck and smoking the brakes. I noticed that Lexus had a recall on this issue "SSC 9LB"

I contacted my dealer and they said my VIN# didn't qualify for the recall, I took my car in and had it inspected and reported it to Lexus cooperate, they also said they can not t help me.

Any advise, is it worth going after them or getting it repaired my self?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-12, 02:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by uMulla
Hey everyone, I have a 2007 Lexus Gs350 and my right rear brake caliper has failed, it has gotten stuck and smoking the brakes. I noticed that Lexus had a recall on this issue "SSC 9LB"

I contacted my dealer and they said my VIN# didn't qualify for the recall, I took my car in and had it inspected and reported it to Lexus cooperate, they also said they can not t help me.

Any advise, is it worth going after them or getting it repaired my self?

Thanks in advance
If your VIN is not listed, then its just a failed part. SSC 9LB was issued because the brake manufacturer had a run of bad calipers. Hence why only a group of VIN fall into this fix.

You're asking if its worth going after one of largest car manufacturers on earth over a few hundred bucks? No.
Old 06-02-12, 03:21 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

You can try to see if they will replace it under goodwill maybe they will be nice, but that would be your only choice, other than purchasing a caliper yourself.
Old 06-02-12, 03:54 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I just had to replace both rear calipers on my 07 350 (53000 miles) I got remanufactured calipers for 80 ea. Lexus wanted to charge me 1700 to replace both rear calipers, discs, and pads.
Old 06-02-12, 04:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

I was lucky enough to have my GS VIN fall into the SSC 9LB numbers.

Funny thing... you all knew your calipers were failing. Heard something? Felt there was a problem? Did your dash lights trip too?

I was in the dealership for a completely different reason and they told me both calipers were failed. Funny, they couldn't show me my failed calipers.
Old 06-02-12, 05:57 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
I was lucky enough to have my GS VIN fall into the SSC 9LB numbers.

Funny thing... you all knew your calipers were failing. Heard something? Felt there was a problem? Did your dash lights trip too?

I was in the dealership for a completely different reason and they told me both calipers were failed. Funny, they couldn't show me my failed calipers.
Maybe they weren't busy and needed the work, We do that sometimes if business is slow and the techs needed the money. Either way I see it, customer's happy that we replaced it for free and the techs gets paid
Old 06-02-12, 07:19 PM
uMulla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
I just had to replace both rear calipers on my 07 350 (53000 miles) I got remanufactured calipers for 80 ea. Lexus wanted to charge me 1700 to replace both rear calipers, discs, and pads.

I don't think they will do it for me.
I have a question though since the first part failed, if I purchase new calipers OEM will they have the same issue ? - my caliper bolt is missing too, I will replace that, anything else I should do
Obviously the rotors and brake pads
Old 06-02-12, 08:38 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
Maybe they weren't busy and needed the work, We do that sometimes if business is slow and the techs needed the money. Either way I see it, customer's happy that we replaced it for free and the techs gets paid
Yeah. they were trying to charge me. If it wasn't for someone here pointing out the SSB and me bringing the paperwork in. They would have made me pay for it all.
Old 06-02-12, 10:01 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Just but a caliper off tirerack.com or sewellParts.com and install it. Will the problem reoccur? Chances are yes but not within at least 2 years. Its a safety feautre and you are out of warranty.
Old 06-05-12, 02:19 PM
uMulla
Driver School Candidate

Ok I was searching online for calipers and I found some by the company of Centric
Brake caliper. I read reviews on CL for the rotors and calipers but didn't find Anything on the calipers
Has anyone used them ??

Here is the link - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...+Runflat+Tires
Old 06-05-12, 06:14 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I am using centric rotors on the rear, i never tried the calipers but the company is legit. For that price you should definatly give them a try
Old 06-05-12, 06:53 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by uMulla
Ok I was searching online for calipers and I found some by the company of Centric
Brake caliper. I read reviews on CL for the rotors and calipers but didn't find Anything on the calipers
Has anyone used them ??

Here is the link - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...+Runflat+Tires
you should be fine with centric or cardone
Old 06-05-12, 10:20 PM
uMulla
Driver School Candidate

Found a retailer that is offering them for $50 with a $70 core deposit, bassicly when I return the orginal calipers off my car I get the core deposit back, can't beat that.
Ya I did some research on the company I should be good . Can't be worse then these horrible OEM calipers
Old 06-06-12, 04:46 PM
ypv123
Driver School Candidate

i am having the same issues with mines and also called the lexus customer service number. They advised me to take it to lexus and have them diagnose "just" the calipers n call them back. well i've done just that a month before i called the service(today) and the tech just told me the pins might be rusted from time but the recall clearly states that the rear caliper should b inspected due to the slide pins and on my rear right side pin has broken off and the left pin is froze , isnt this relevant to the recall? shouldn't they be able to fix this issue without any charge? heres a link to another post http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=72302

i just feel like the company should b able to fix this having my calipers to still be oem and i could understand them not wanting to fix it if i or the previous owner changed the calipers themselves

any advice on wat i should do? dont want to waste money on a diagnostics if they're really not going to replace them
Old 06-06-12, 07:38 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

^ if you are out of warranty forget it. Simple as that, they are not gonna replace them on their dime.

Quick Reply: 2007 GS350 Rear Brake Caliper - Lexus wont help