GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-09-15, 03:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Synthetic Oil Changes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 07:39 PM
LexFather

I've honestly used various oils with no issues.
Old 05-28-12, 10:06 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I found this one that was made specifically for Lexus/Toyota. It's 64.25mm instead of the generic one labeled Type F, which is really a 65/67mm. The best part is it only costs a fraction of the OEM one from the stealers.
http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Sp...d_sim_sbs_hi_1
That is the exact one i bought
Old 05-29-12, 04:48 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

me too! perfect fit
Old 05-29-12, 06:40 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
For my wifes RX, i did her first oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic, then after 5000 miles i sent a sample to Blackstone labs where they tested it. They told me i could go another 1500 miles miles so i changed her oil and next change i did at 6500 miles and sent another sample off. They came back again and said i could go another 1500 miles. So now it seems as 8000 miles is the target. I've been using toyota filter. For my GS, i've only done 1 oil change so far, but plan to change at 5000 and send a sample off.
This is the way it SHOULD be done! You should try other filters (if it's not catridges). Lexus filters suck, they're just some cheap filter rebadged, LITERALLY! It was all over the net a year or two ago. Either way, try the PureOne filters (the gold ones) and send the lab tests back after you try the same oil with the O.E. lexus filters, the PureOne filters just as good, cheaper, and it flows a lot less restricted.
Old 05-29-12, 07:57 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
This is the way it SHOULD be done! You should try other filters (if it's not catridges). Lexus filters suck, they're just some cheap filter rebadged, LITERALLY! It was all over the net a year or two ago. Either way, try the PureOne filters (the gold ones) and send the lab tests back after you try the same oil with the O.E. lexus filters, the PureOne filters just as good, cheaper, and it flows a lot less restricted.
I'll try the PureOne filters next in the RX. Thanks for the note.
Old 05-29-12, 08:06 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Here is a nice filter test:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1616368&page=1
Old 05-29-12, 04:17 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

found my old pix.. it was 2010
Old 05-29-12, 05:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

see? I told ya, that's where I got my info from, and it's not just ONE thread that states PureOne filters outperform the crappy Yota Denso filters, it's MANY MANY MANY threads that have tried and tested

Originally Posted by Brabusx2

found my old pix.. it was 2010
Is it too late yo reiterate my statement? I somehow mixed up royal purple with redline oil products hahahaha how silly of me. I can stand by Redline products all day everyday, it was THAT product that I've used and sent to the chemical analysis company (my friend did a whole range of tests with different oils and Redline came out #1). They have some superior oils, including gear oil. RP not so much, once again that was soo silly of me to even confuse the two brands hahaha. One has a redline logo and one is all purple! *I'm getting old*
Old 05-30-12, 12:07 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Here you go.....

TAXI!
Old 05-30-12, 03:47 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal Purple is a waste of money. I have tried almost every brand of oil in multiple cars. Spend $35 at Wal-Mart and get 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic and change your oil with this every 5k. Buy a box of ten filters off ebay or through Sewell parts and you're good-to-go. Do the work yourself as well - it is super simple.
I do this as well...Royal Purple just has purple dye and a ton of additives that aren't really proven to add any benefit. Any full synthetic is comparable but I go with Mobil 1 since its priced so low at Wal Mart
Old 05-31-12, 02:24 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Boron
Here you go.....

TAXI!
lol... thank you!!
Old 05-31-12, 11:24 AM
Evel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Mobil 1 full syn approx 2 years. I put approx 9200 miles on my car per year & have been replacing it once per year. No problems thus far, but I noted most of those who posted earliler in this thread, said they change their oil every 5K miles/3-4 months. Should I be replacing it more frequently? I thought Mobil 1 was rated for 10K miles between changes.
Old 05-31-12, 01:22 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Evel
I switched to Mobil 1 full syn approx 2 years. I put approx 9200 miles on my car per year & have been replacing it once per year. No problems thus far, but I noted most of those who posted earliler in this thread, said they change their oil every 5K miles/3-4 months. Should I be replacing it more frequently? I thought Mobil 1 was rated for 10K miles between changes.
I think this is difficult to answer specifically without analytical studies done. Send a sample of your oil next change to Blackstone labs like I mentioned above and they'll help you determine what changes to make.
Old 05-31-12, 07:29 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have bring a car to oil change service such as Lexus and other?
Old 05-31-12, 08:01 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Evel
It is rated for 10k, but like he said, better to send it off to blackstone labs and have them run an oil analysis. Oil has a shelf life too BTW, that's why it's 3-4 months OR 5k. (5k is something everyone runs by because it's a standard SAFE interval, that even if it's synthetic, you change it before the oil even determines to go bad).

Originally Posted by pbateson
Have bring a car to oil change service such as Lexus and other?
If you're asking if people bring it to lexus or other places. Oil is Oil to be honest, no special way to change anything, so yes oil changes are universal. Suspension work and other more difficult things however are.... Better to DIY, take it to a REAL professional (not just any speed shop) OR Lexus.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Changes!!