GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Handling in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 08:16 PM
GPsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 Handling in snow?

Hi, I'm new around here and I was planning on taking a trip up to Big Bear, CA in late January. I'm worried about what I can expect out of my GS RWD if it should begin to snow during the road trip, especially going up and down the mountain. Should I be worried about spinning? And are there any lasting effects from having to use tire chains?

I'm using the standard tires.
Old 11-29-11, 08:20 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here. I planning to go on christmas.

Isnt that we got snow mode?
Old 11-29-11, 08:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RWD in snow with summer or all season tires SUCK. About chains I am not sure if anything can go wrong with car using them maybe making it very ruff on suspension is all i can possibly think of.
Old 11-29-11, 08:50 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Buy snow tires
Old 11-29-11, 10:48 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

get snow tires... i use them religiously here in minnesota... dont' get blizzaks because after they wear down halfway, they act just like all seasons... i would recommend a dunlop, hankook or a michelin snow tire for the best performance.
Old 12-15-11, 10:28 AM
sanguine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy chains for your tires, you will need them if the conditions are bad. I'm in SoCal as well and I"ve taken the GS to Big Bear/Mt. HIgh/Mammoth. You will have traction issues if you hit a patch of black ice. For the most part it handles fine, there was a time I was lazy and didn't want to put on chains and drove on the snow directly and it handled it like a champ. The snow mode does help a little but it comes down whether you can get traction on the road or not.

You will notice your traction control to go off when driving in snow.
Old 12-15-11, 11:21 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont even think about driving the car with summer tires in snow. I almost killed myself the first year I got the car. I bought a RWD, so it came with summer tires. Never again I'm driving in snow with summer tires!!! The car just would not stop, it was like a cow on ice going in all directions
The following users liked this post:
MrHarrisMa (11-01-23)
Old 12-15-11, 11:28 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

At the minimum get tire chains
MrHarrisMa (11-01-23)
Old 12-16-11, 04:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Dont even think about driving the car with summer tires in snow. I almost killed myself the first year I got the car. I bought a RWD, so it came with summer tires. Never again I'm driving in snow with summer tires!!! The car just would not stop, it was like a cow on ice going in all directions
Yeah I agree, had summer tires and forgot to take them off before winter and when a snow storm hit I tried to drive and everywhere I drove I failed couldn't even go up a driveway to a gas station. All season helps a little but def does not work in snow, good snow tires are the Continental DWS I wouldn't say to go with snow chains, but that’s my personal opinion. RWD doesn’t do great in snow I know but if you use the snow button it helps a little.
Old 12-16-11, 06:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

or just rent a vehicle to take for your trip.
Old 12-16-11, 07:33 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This comes up every winter

Summer tires on RWD/AWD = Do not drive it in even the lightest snow, it's dangerous to you, your car and others on the road. So, to recap, GS + Summer Tires + Snow = Insurance Claim.

All Season's: If you're used to driving a RWD car in the snow, you can get by with this setup. AWD will of course handle better.

Snow Tires: RWD will be downright fun to drive in the snow and the AWD cars will be that much better.

Be safe out there.
MrHarrisMa (11-01-23)
Old 12-18-11, 08:45 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Get winter tires. That makes the most difference for actual handling once you're moving. The AWD doesn't do a lot for you handling wise but it does make a big difference in terms of getting moving and lessening chances of getting stuck. With my winters and AWD I don't even feel like I need to shovel my driveway apart from a path to walk to the car. My favourite thing in the winter is parking on the street on top of hard packed uneven icy snowbanks that other cars avoid because they would get stuck... makes finding parking a bit easier in the city hehe.

If someone were to crash into me in the winter and I saw they had summer tires on I would go ballistic.

By the way, tire chains/tire studs are illegal here and I would suspect they would be equally so in California. They're illegal because they really chew up the roads and end up costing everybody tons of money in road repairs.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 12-18-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 05:46 PM
HDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the main reasons I got a 3GS......AWD.
MrHarrisMa (11-01-23)
Old 01-17-12, 09:27 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Get winter tires. That makes the most difference for actual handling once you're moving. The AWD doesn't do a lot for you handling wise but it does make a big difference in terms of getting moving and lessening chances of getting stuck. With my winters and AWD I don't even feel like I need to shovel my driveway apart from a path to walk to the car. My favourite thing in the winter is parking on the street on top of hard packed uneven icy snowbanks that other cars avoid because they would get stuck... makes finding parking a bit easier in the city hehe.

If someone were to crash into me in the winter and I saw they had summer tires on I would go ballistic.

By the way, tire chains/tire studs are illegal here and I would suspect they would be equally so in California. They're illegal because they really chew up the roads and end up costing everybody tons of money in road repairs.
Really is that why? I thought it was because if a stud was to fly out it can hit someone
Old 01-18-12, 10:27 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, the joys of living in Houston... summer tires year round! And if it does snow or ice (once every 5 years or so), the city shuts down and no one goes to work or school anyway!

Quick Reply: GS350 Handling in snow?