GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Advice needed please!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 01:00 PM
soccermom2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please!!! :)

Hello everyone!!
Not sure if this is something that can be answered with the little information I know, but any help is still appreciated! I have an 06 Lexus GS300 awd, and Im a divorced single mom with 2 little boys. Yesterday, when I left out of my neighborhood, my car drove approx 1 mile and just STOPPED running. I coasted to the shoulder of the road & attempted to start it again. It cranked & started for about 2 secs & died again. After that, each time i tried to crank, it would try & try to start (starter sounded strong) yet would never "turn over". I could feel/hear a few rough spitting & sputtering type feelings/sounds trying to start it, but ultimately it wouldnt crank. I called a friend (another single mom) to come get me & i purchased some starter fluid & went back to try it. We hooked it up to her battery as I had run mine low trying to crank it. After it had been sitting there while we went to the store, it again tried to crank when I attempted to start ot, but died again within a sec or 2. Then, wouldnt fully crank again. I hear my alternator clicking & as i said earlier, the starter sounds very strong & normal when i push the ignition button. I tried to just turn it to the "on" position (2 button pushes), leave it a few secs, turn off, then try to crank again (hoping to "prime" the gas lines in case it somehow had sucked in any air or water....which it kinda "feels" like) Still after all that....nothing. I tried having my friend crank while i sprayed starter fluid into the intake, and it actually cranked and would stay running as long as i was continually spraying the fluid. The sec i stopped, it stopped. I really dont hear the fuel pump turning on, although admittedly I guess I never have paid attention before this to know if I ever could "hear" it previously. Im wondering if its just a very quiet one, or if its not turning on at all? (I understand it's in the back of the car kind of under the backseat & not under the hood) I guess Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem & what you found to be the problem? Im not sure how to determine if this could be an issue with a fuel sensor or the relay, vs a faulty fuel pump. I do have minimal knowledge of the mechanics of a car to do basic "troubleshooting" and I can follow any directions given to me, however I am FAR from an "expert" by all means, as Ive never had to really tinker with my own car until I got divorced last year & money got tight! LOL If this has the potential to be a number of different issues beyond my level of competence, I can accept that as an answer!! I was teally just hoping someone might have some simple troubleshooting tips to offer that I might could try to attempt to fix this myself if its something simple! If at all possible, Im really trying to avoid calling a tow truck & having to pay that $200 towing bill, PLUS whatever crazy price the dealership charges me to fix it, given my current financial situation! I really appreciate any of you guys that take the time to reply!!! Even if the best advice you can give is? "Girl...call a man to handle this job!!" I'd still appreciate the honesty!!! Thanks again!!!
~~~Jessica
Old 06-13-15, 07:57 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So far what you've done is good most likely it is the in tank fuel pump and hopefully not the hi pressure fuel pump on the rear right of the engine. you need to pull the back seat out and find out if the electric pump is getting voltage. or with the rear seat cushion out if you can hear it turn on
Old 06-13-15, 10:48 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Sounds like you ran out of gas to me.
Old 06-13-15, 11:26 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

it sounds like you know more than I do

But this week, my car wouldn't crank. Battery was still original, and old, so I figured it would be worth $99 to go to walmart and get a new battery.

Cranked up fine then.

They say the battery is the cheapest and first thing you should try, right?
Old 06-13-15, 11:44 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a fuel pump...but check the fuses to the fuel pump first.
Old 06-14-15, 09:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I commend you on all the things that you've tried to fix the issue before coming here. The first thing to do is check battery connections and then the battery. I'm thinking you know how to remove it so get your friend to run you down to auto zone with the battery and get it checked it out. They do it for free. If it's not that you have to make sure the engine is getting fuel and for that you might need to find a trusted shop that can run some tests.
Old 06-14-15, 01:13 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She sounds like she has enough problems, what with being a divorced single mom with kids and the worst Lexus GS ever made. Let's not even worry her about the premature carbon buildup and oil burning.
Old 06-15-15, 11:14 AM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried putting gas in it? Sometimes it's the simple things.
If it does have gas in it, it's most likely a fuel pump or could be a fuse. Good luck
Old 06-16-15, 12:09 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

multimeters are your best friends.

Check to see if you have a local harbor freight near you: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=multimeter

With this you can measure voltage of the fuel pump connections and measure voltage on your battery to make sure it's strong enough to run.
Old 06-16-15, 06:19 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What got me confused is that if she used starter fluid the car would run while spraying, How does that make any sense if it was the fuel she was missing or not enough voltage to fuel pump or battery.My body shop had a very similar issue with my car and it was a loose ground wire. Check around intake/radiator area for loose black wires. If you have the tools try to tighten them.
Old 06-16-15, 08:22 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Because the starting fluid is like fuel...so as long as it's being sprayed the engine will run.

If it was me id start by checking fuses then checking to make sure I have voltage at the pump...if I did id ohm the pump.
Old 06-19-15, 04:39 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fuel pump. fuel pump relay/fuse.