GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changed my HID bulbs - now my auto levelling doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 05:44 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my HID bulbs - now my auto levelling doesn't work

So like a lot of people here, I've had the 'headlight going out' problem for a while, whereby the right hand side xenon low beam occasionally turns itself off but can be re-ignited by flicking the lights on and off. To try and narrow the problem down to being either the bulb or the ballast I swapped the bulbs from left to right and vice versa at the weekend (and boy was that a lot trickier than I thought!). So my bulbs seem to be working OK so far (no 'turn offs' yet that I've noticed) but now it seems the auto levelling function has stopped working - i.e. the lights no longer do their 'dance' when initially switched on. AFS is still working and no warning on the dash. OEM Philips bulbs. Anyone come across this before??!
Old 11-07-11, 06:00 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

One thing just struck me as odd.

Swapping out the bulbs was tricky? How so, what did you have to do? This might help with us figuring out what might have happened.

I say this because it took me seriously 4 min a side to do mine (after removing covers, and airbox)

If your lights are off, you can do this to make them level for the time being.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ern-video.html
Old 11-07-11, 06:32 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Was tricky because my big shovel hands = no view of the socket when installing the bulb, i.e. had to go by touch alone and took ages to get them correctly inserted! Getting them out etc was no problem - didn't even need to remove airbox. TBH it's not a huge issue - the lights are not aimed too high or anything, in fact they seem to be aimed as they normally would and as I don't carry loads, it shouldn't be a problem. Just unsure how changing the bulbs would affect the levelling mechanism, which I repsume I went nowhere near!
Old 11-07-11, 06:54 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

What year GS do you have?

Does your GS look like this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-194-led.html

Last edited by neurocity; 11-07-11 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-07-11, 07:43 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

It's a 2005 3rd generation GS300 (2006MY - think we got it earlier in Europe than US). 3GR-FSE. So yes, like the link (no V8 though! ).
Old 11-07-11, 07:50 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Okay, just checking. Didn't know 05's were 3rd gens in Europe.
Now the part about not having to remove the air box kinda wows me, unless that's different too.

Check these out, might help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...light-afs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ue-thread.html
Old 11-07-11, 08:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm lost with how you removed your HID bulbs what tool did you have to use to remove your bulbs? Did you use a tool in the actual headlight?

Your lights will still be level they just won't auto level now as your driving.

all you have to do is release this tension pin and the bulb comes out.

Were you having some lagers while talking this difficult job?
Old 11-07-11, 08:26 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
I'm lost with how you removed your HID bulbs what tool did you have to use to remove your bulbs? Did you use a tool in the actual headlight?

Your lights will still be level they just won't auto level now as your driving.

all you have to do is release this tension pin and the bulb comes out.
As I said, I had no issues getting the bulbs out - used my hands and followed the DIY from this forum - took like 30 seconds a side. Getting them back in was problematic as I couldn't see what I was doing so had to do it by touch and found it difficult to tell if the bulb was correctly aligned. Still, they're in now! My real question is how this has resulted in my auto levelling not working!
Old 11-07-11, 09:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Well I still think this had something to do with it

as for your ASF here is were it should be located assuming its in the same location on European cars. I would unplug and plug it back in to see if it resets.

Other thing is maybe something inst put back the same or something is obstructing it from moving. Could always take the bulb back out just to double check
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-08-11, 01:14 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
Well I still think this had something to do with it

Ha! I wish! That came later! And all this was before I got to the oil filter which the last Lexus service tech had tightened with as much force as possible = me lying on the ground straining to get the thing off for ages!

as for your ASF here is were it should be located assuming its in the same location on European cars. I would unplug and plug it back in to see if it resets.

Other thing is maybe something inst put back the same or something is obstructing it from moving. Could always take the bulb back out just to double check
AFS is working fine. Gonna order new bulbs on eBay soon (reckon I'll replace both as they both have substantial white deposits) so will try and see if there's something blocking levelling then.
Old 11-08-11, 05:40 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

what happens if you put the oem bulbs back some have posted issues with some after market bulbs.
Old 11-08-11, 08:26 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

It is the OEM bulbs (Philips 42402) in there - just swapped sides to try and determine if I have a bulb or ballast problem behind my occasional 'light off' problem. Probably same bulbs since day one TBH.....
Old 11-08-11, 10:08 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

ahh I see, assumed you put new bulbs in.
Old 11-09-11, 12:37 PM
turbon50
Driver

Originally Posted by Drzava
Ha! I wish! That came later! And all this was before I got to the oil filter which the last Lexus service tech had tightened with as much force as possible = me lying on the ground straining to get the thing off for ages!

AFS is working fine. Gonna order new bulbs on eBay soon (reckon I'll replace both as they both have substantial white deposits) so will try and see if there's something blocking levelling then.
I have a similar problem after putting in aftermarket bulbs. Now the auto level only goes up upon start and not up then back down to the correct level. Also, does the afs only turn on left turns? I can see it move significantly on left turns, but don't see it move on right turns.
Old 11-10-11, 01:12 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Hmm.......my auto levelling has started working again?! Hey - won't complain!

Originally Posted by turbon50
Also, does the afs only turn on left turns? I can see it move significantly on left turns, but don't see it move on right turns.
For LHD countries, it moves up to 15 degrees on left turns, and 5 degrees on right turns.

Quick Reply: Changed my HID bulbs - now my auto levelling doesn't work