GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Evidence of an unreported accident?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 06:35 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evidence of an unreported accident?

I will post pix shortly. I've noticed a few things that might be an indicator that my 06' gs300 was in an accident that wasn't reported. Didn't notices these things the day of purchase cause it was in the evening. Also to busy working a new job to notice at first. The first thing was from a earlier posted photo was that little plastic piece near the front of the rear fender was missing a plug clip. while detailing the engine bay I noticed that the radiator frame is not the same color of the car which is flint mica its that apple juice gold color. The two sticker decals on the driver side, one has paint over spray on it and the other has evidence that something was masked over it. Lastly the driver door doesn't exactly line up around the wind frame either an attempt to break in or the door wasn't properly straightened out. Is it just me being over observant or can anyone tell me if any of these things are not right. thank you.
Old 07-09-17, 07:44 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it depends on the State and how they handle reports. In Texas, if there is no police report, an accident won't show up on carfax. The only way to find out is to have someone inspect the vehicle for repairs.

I was told that my hood was repainted at one point in time. I also have a feeling that both my front fender has been repainted since the pinstripe is under the clear coat... None of that was reported.
The following users liked this post:
LUX2006 (07-10-17)
Old 07-09-17, 11:01 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a thousand ways a car can be damaged without there being a report or claim on insurance. In order for an accident to be reported there needs to be one of several links in a chain of events.

1. Damage occuring
2. Police report, depending on the severity of the accident, or the fussiness of the person struck, police can be summoned and they file a report from there. Normally after that a claim can be filed to the insurance company. That being said, there's no guarantee that a claim be filed possibly due to knowing a "friend" that can fix it and keep it off the radar. OR the deductible is high enough for the person needing the claim so they fix it themselves off the books,
3. Insurance claim then a recording of the event occurs then outfits like CarFax and AutoCheck can pull info from insurance and police records. Now if there's no police report, or no claim filed, then there won't be anything for CarFax or AutoCheck to pull from. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
LUX2006 (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 06:29 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default photos

these little plug clips look to be just reused possibly cause dealer charges to much retail. weird fog on rear window tint. doesn't come out with cleaner. May have nothing to do with this topic. Or maybe someone head there head.
Possibly from masking tape for paint repair.
obviously from paint over spray.
this little plug clip was missing from day one. I purchased online.
I guess my question is is this part suppose to be a different color?
Same as previous pic.
Photos I forgot to take were my driver door not aligned top corner of window frame. Also a lot of paint chipping on front hood. However I know that this can be do to age of vehicle but can also be a **** poor repaint. Lastly may just be bad previous drivers, all four stock wheels have mad curb rash. Not sure if its worth having repaired/redone or getting a used set off another gs ( last option would just be to get larger oem wheels. However tires are practically brand new). Thanks in advance for more info based on photos. And thank you both Vooduguru and MX73 for the helpful info.