GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Conti Extreme Contact DWS - Wandering

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 06:37 PM
GSteve350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conti Extreme Contact DWS - Wandering

I recently purchased a 2007 GS350 with 31k miles on it. I couldn't wait to get the noisy Dunlop Runflats off the car. After researching on this forum I decided to go with the DWS. I chose them over the Pilot A/S because from what I could gather, it seemed like it had better snow traction and they were also less expensive.

I really WANTED to love the tires. I noticed right away that they were much quieter than the Dunlops. They did not seem to handle as well as the Dunlops. When I would make a quick lane change, they seemed a little slow to respond.

The big problem though was that the car felt like it was wandering all over the road. I didn't have this problem with the Dunlops. I had the car aligned when I had the DWS's put on. I remembered then that I had read someone on this forum saying they felt "squirmy" on the highway. I didn't know what that meant, so I ignored it. After driving on the highway with them, I'd say that is a GREAT description. The car needs constant course correction. I knew I had to do something when we were on the highway and my wife said "Are you falling asleep?". It was just the car wandering.

I called up Belle Tire where I purchased them and told them the problem. They said to just bring it in and they would swap them out. They ordered me a set of Pilot A/S Plus. We'll see how that goes.

Just my .02. I'm happy for all the folks that have had great luck with the DWS. I just thought I'd pass on my experience.

Steve
Old 06-23-11, 06:51 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The michellin pilots are great, soft and quite. But with few good turns the side of the thread patterns were bold. I switched to yokohoma advins and couldnt be happier. Might want to consider those over the michellins. Honestly speaking i felt no difference between the 2 expect that it has more thread and side of the thread is a nice sized. They are also $50 cheaper then michellins.
Old 06-23-11, 06:52 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also the side walls dont swim around like the michellins.If you need more info or have questions feel free to pm me.
Old 06-23-11, 09:12 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting topic. I will be shopping for new tires for my stock wheels once fall rolls around
Old 06-23-11, 09:48 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have DWS on my car right now and it's not like what you describe. We have snow and hard rain here so the highway are 'tilt' and as expected the car do drift a tiny bit. I have hit 114mph without worry of "squirmy".

2 weeks ago we had hard rain fall and I was doing about 50mph on highway hitting a puddle of water. I was surprise I didn't feel anything hitting that much water at that speed.

My guess is your tires weren't well balanced.
Old 06-23-11, 10:12 PM
dentalstud
Rookie

Originally Posted by worker
I have DWS on my car right now and it's not like what you describe. We have snow and hard rain here so the highway are 'tilt' and as expected the car do drift a tiny bit. I have hit 114mph without worry of "squirmy".

2 weeks ago we had hard rain fall and I was doing about 50mph on highway hitting a puddle of water. I was surprise I didn't feel anything hitting that much water at that speed.

My guess is your tires weren't well balanced.

I agree. I have them as well and they ride smooth and quiet. the sidewalls are pretty decent especially paired with the F-sport sways. Try getting your tires road-force balanced on a Hunter machine. It'll tell you if the tire is bad or your rim is bent. it'll also round the tire with the rim. if that doesn't work, your suspension might be bent. An alignment would not create a "squirmy" feeling unless its extremely off. you can try to determine this by checking your tire tread wear pattern. good luck!
Old 06-23-11, 11:32 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

I actually just had these installed today and drove about 30 minutes home on the freeway. Didn't notice any wandering, but the ride was definitely smoother and quieter than the previous continentals I had (the original extreme contact). I'll see how things go in the next week or two.
Old 06-24-11, 10:50 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

I have Continental DW and I also notice the increased tendency to follow grooves on freeways. At times it feels like the car is wavering (routinely happens near I-280 and CA-17, for those in NorCal south bay). Otherwise I love these tires tho. Much better ride than the stock Yokohama I switched out, and definitely quieter without losing much road handling for the way I drive.
Old 06-24-11, 11:40 AM
kannon
Pole Position

I had some contisportcontact 2s and loved them except for the fact that they violenty followed any grooves in the highway.
Old 06-24-11, 01:29 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had these put on my fiancé's maxima and I loved the way they handled especially in the rain. I literally was aiming for puddles and trying to hydroplane I was unsuccessful and have not personally experienced any wandering sensation while driving. Good luck with your new tires
Old 06-24-11, 01:29 PM
skim07
Driver

I'm on DWS. The tires are bit too soft for my liking but I don't have the wandering problem. I'm extremely happy with how they suit this car. Quiet, soft, and stable in inclement weather. Maybe you had a bad batch? but good luck with PS a/s, you can't go wrong with Michelin PS series.
Old 06-24-11, 02:20 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Owners of Continental ExtremeContact DW/S, how much do you inflate your tires? Perhaps that changes the groove-following, wandering behavior?
Old 06-24-11, 02:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some issues with my DWS but "wandering" isn't one of them.

Ours cars are infamous for this type of behavior regardless of the tires. I had that problem when I allowed an independant tech to do the alignment. Took it back to the dealer problem solved. Not all dealers have top notch alignment techs but ours does.

Last edited by Ice350; 06-24-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 04:15 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
Owners of Continental ExtremeContact DW/S, how much do you inflate your tires? Perhaps that changes the groove-following, wandering behavior?
35psi as recommended in the sticker behind the driver door.

Originally Posted by Ice350
I have some issues with my DWS but "wandering" isn't one of them.

Ours cars are infamous for this type of behavior regardless of the tires. I had that problem when I allowed an independant tech to do the alignment. Took it back to the dealer problem solved. Not all dealers have top notch alignment techs but ours does.
I agree, I think it's the alignment make a big different too.
Old 06-24-11, 04:17 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Interesting. Lexus Stevens Creek dropped mine to 32 or 33 I think. Need to check the last service statement.

Quick Reply: Conti Extreme Contact DWS - Wandering