GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thinking about a 350/450h instead of a Land Cruiser...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 09:18 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Just a correction, ur going from a 48k (brand new price) suv to a 47k sedan before any options (brand new price)
The Cruiser was $62k new. It's $48k KBB retail right now.
Old 05-16-11, 09:34 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bamachem
But for me, the GS is MUCH more comfortable. Both received "Good" crash safety ratings...

I like the feel of being up higher in the LC and the cargo room is crazy, but it's not anywhere near as comfortable on the road or in the seat as my friend's GS.
A van will give you comfort and space. It is ideal for family + road trips.

GS is ok with a baby, but not older than that.
Old 05-16-11, 10:01 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

The Cruiser was $62k new. It's $48k KBB retail right now.
O ok, now I see u were comparing prices of the used cars, not the new retail prices..my bad
Old 05-16-11, 06:06 PM
99LX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blacksedan
Yes, you are crazy. With comfort and safety as a priority, the LC is the keeper... With the constant road trips you are taking, I'd much rather be higher off the ground and have the extra cargo space.
Agree here. I have both, and I prefer the LX even though the one I have is a 1999. The GS is a 430 2006, but there is not as much room IMHO. And, the window is high. I like to sit up straighter than the GS allows.

You said 'employer pays fuel' - done deal then. I would stay LC. The GS IS more fun to drive, the LC/LX is more comfortable hands down.
Old 05-17-11, 10:13 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely keep the LC. You will regret it if you get rid of it for the GS.
Old 05-18-11, 12:21 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me you want the GS more then L.C. after the test drive...

I have two young kids and my GS is a garage queen because of the small trunk does not fit my stroller. The odo has less than 14,000 miles in last 4.5 years says it all. I can't wait in another 1/2 year I can finally get rid of the bulky stroller and start to drive my GS for family trips. Just my honest input.
Old 05-18-11, 04:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I Mean the trunk is not that bad but yeah your not gonna be able to fit a couple things in there, for sure if you get the GS 450h your not fitting anything in there the trunk is cut in half I would cancel that out, unless your keeping the LC, and the I can vouch that the trunk can hold two luggage thats about it.
Old 05-18-11, 05:43 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by memasterac
It seems to me you want the GS more then L.C. after the test drive...

I have two young kids and my GS is a garage queen because of the small trunk does not fit my stroller. The odo has less than 14,000 miles in last 4.5 years says it all. I can't wait in another 1/2 year I can finally get rid of the bulky stroller and start to drive my GS for family trips. Just my honest input.
My boys are 7 and 4, so only booster seats.

Not one person on a GS forum saying go for tge GS... Must be a POS compared to the LC!

LOL

The LC has tons extra cargo room and not enough passenger leg room for my tastes. If I sell the LC for a GS, then we'll get a late 80's convertible full-size blazer as a 3rd vehicle too for towing/fishing, etc. Wife has an 05 convertible Solara now that will be replaced w/ an A5 or E conv next year.

The K5 will be my "toy" in this arrangement.

Still on the fence...
Old 05-18-11, 05:47 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

BTW, I appreciate the honest input.
Old 05-18-11, 06:20 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not one person on a GS forum saying go for tge GS... Must be a POS compared to the LC!
The reason we are hesitant to recommend to you is because the GS is not a big vehicle. I am 6'0 but I don't like to bend my legs too much while driving so I have to drive with the seat fully back and am still not fully comfortable. The seat adjustability on the GS is poor. Plus it doesn't have extendable seat cushions so as a tall person you have insufficient thigh support.

Further with the seat fully back, there is no way an adult can sit behind me. You have small kids so may not be an issue.

Eitherway, I would not expect to find the GS more comfortable as a driver coming from an LC. If you want to be able to sit comfortably as a 6'4 driver, you really need an LS. And for $48k you can get a used LS. Plus the LS won't be outdated by a newer design next January.

That said the GS drives very well, especially the models with active suspension. The car is fast, fast in corners, fun to drive, and has a real quality feeling. Plus its a looker.
Old 05-18-11, 06:47 AM
drewdogg80
Driver

I agree with all...my gs is my daily driver, but for the family it's not an option. That's why I have a full size suv (that sits in the garage most of the week unless we all go as a family somewhere). The extra space and safety are priorities for most families. My previous '06 LX470 is basically your LC.

Is keeping the LC and getting a GS an option? That's what I did.
Old 05-18-11, 07:44 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drewdogg80
I agree with all...my gs is my daily driver, but for the family it's not an option. That's why I have a full size suv (that sits in the garage most of the week unless we all go as a family somewhere). The extra space and safety are priorities for most families. My previous '06 LX470 is basically your LC.

Is keeping the LC and getting a GS an option? That's what I did.
Hmmm. Looks like you've been in my shoes before.

Right now, keeping the LC and getting a GS is not in the picture. However, I was looking at a 87-91 2-door Blazer as a "toy" for weekends, etc. We only travel as a family maybe once every two months, and it's usually only 3-4 hours away at most. Other than that, it's the occasional run around town, etc.

An LS, L 7-series, or something like that isn't an option because of how it "looks" according to company policy. A $62K LC is OK, but an $80K LS is not.
Old 05-18-11, 07:56 AM
bigblack06

Wow that sucks maybe a GX or an RX is a better fit for you, or if you really want the GS get a Ford Explorer and the GS both used and you should have some money to pay for the GS its just you'll probably have to get a 06' GS just my two-cents.
Old 05-18-11, 08:16 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Why get an exploder when I'd have a perfectly good full-size SUV in the garage? I would have a K5 Blazer that would be road worthy and "fine" if/when we needed more room than what the GS would offer. Hell, I can always just rent a damn minivan if that time comes.

The point is that I need more personal comfort for 90%+ of the vehicles use, which is me, by myself, either on my 50-mile-a-day commute or when I travel for work. The LC has tons of extra cargo room for what we need, but not enough personal comfort, which I happen to find in the GS.

I seriously think we'll end up w/ a GS + a K5 Blazer and just rent once or twice a year if we REALLY need something more.

The "work" vehicle and fuel is paid for via mileage reimbursement. The additional operating cost (mostly fuel) of the LC comes out of my pocket because the reimbursement is a fixed amount. Therefore, the less fuel costs I have, the more I have in my pocket. However, cost is NOT the deciding factor in this decision. I need something more comfortable.

I drove from the coast to North Atlanta and back yesterday. It was about 9 hours of drive time total. The last two hours was almost painful.

It's not that I don't even have enough "room" but the fact that my right knee is in a painful position when on the pedal after a few hours. When I put it on cruise, I have to put my foot BEHIND the brake pedal to get comfortable. That's not safe, regardless of vehicle, because it severely limits reaction time in an emergency.
Old 05-18-11, 08:35 AM
bigblack06

OK, so as many have said if comfort is what your looking for than the LS would be the most comfortble in the line-up, but it seems your pretty set on the GS so get its whatever, ultimately its your choice we wont be driving it you will so if you fell that is the best choice than go with, its just that many of us GS owners would think that the LC would be more comfortable than the GS in terms of space in the front, because if your tall there is minimal space, and I can tell you that if your over 6'1 you will be doing the same thing except probably bending your knee's in the GS with cruise on!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 350/450h instead of a Land Cruiser...