GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Road Hazard Warranty - worth it or not?

Old 03-25-11, 01:28 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Hazard Warranty - worth it or not?

I've tried searching for a general consensus on whether or not to purchase Road Hazard Warranty, but I couldn't find anything that satisfied my curiosity.

I'm picking up a new set of tires for my GS 350 from Discount Tires / Americas Tires and I know they will offer the Road Hazard Warranty for $30/tire. Would you recommend purchasing the warranty or not? and why?

I already have an order in for the Conti DWS 245/40/18 which should be here this weekend. Please comment!

TIA
Ken
Old 03-25-11, 01:52 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

When i got my Michelin Pilot A/S's I got the road hazard on all four tires (I think the cost was like $150 for all four).

In the time i've had the tires (actually getting them replaced tomorrow), I've used it I think three times

1) Nail (plugged it - retail was $30)
2) Nail in sidewall (new tire) - no charge (but I had to buy a new road hazard warranty for the new tire)
3) I popped the tire myself (I had to pay $70 to replace the tire because of the wear on it).

I don't drive my car that often anymore, live in less crowded area and am putting on a cheaper tire - given this, I doubt that i will get the road hazard warranty on the tires.

P.S. Wish I were getting the DWS suckers are so hard to find.
Old 03-25-11, 02:00 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bhuwan
When i got my Michelin Pilot A/S's I got the road hazard on all four tires (I think the cost was like $150 for all four).

In the time i've had the tires (actually getting them replaced tomorrow), I've used it I think three times

P.S. Wish I were getting the DWS suckers are so hard to find.

What are you going to be replacing your current tires with?

DWS are hard to find - the manager at the store had to order pairs from two different stores throughout the US.

I also don't drive much - I'm a weekend driver since I take the train to work everyday. These tires are supposed last at least 50k miles and I probably don't drive more than 9-11k a year. But I always hear stories of nails in sidewalls = new tire
Old 03-25-11, 02:06 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kennuth

DWS are hard to find - the manager at the store had to order pairs from two different stores throughout the US.

I also don't drive much - I'm a weekend driver since I take the train to work everyday. These tires are supposed last at least 50k miles and I probably don't drive more than 9-11k a year. But I always hear stories of nails in sidewalls = new tire
I've had damage to my sidewall and both times == new tire.
I am replacing them with the Goodyear Comfort Tread Touring A/S
Old 03-25-11, 05:05 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone here work at Americas Tire or Discount Tire and can comment on the value of the Road Hazard Warranty?
Old 03-26-11, 09:53 PM
GinoC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kennuth

Just bought a set of DWS's the same way. Manager at the Torrance, CA store, Julio (super cool guy btw), ordered two sets from two different stores.

As far as the RH warranty goes, I didn't purchase it that same day. Mine came out to about $100 for all 4 tires. Julio had told me I had 30 days to purchase from sale of the tires so I'm definitely interested in other peoples feedback on this before I go about purchasing the RHW.

Great choice on the DWS's! Huge difference in ride quality for sure!
Old 03-28-11, 01:16 AM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GinoC
Just bought a set of DWS's the same way. Manager at the Torrance, CA store, Julio (super cool guy btw), ordered two sets from two different stores.

As far as the RH warranty goes, I didn't purchase it that same day. Mine came out to about $100 for all 4 tires. Julio had told me I had 30 days to purchase from sale of the tires so I'm definitely interested in other peoples feedback on this before I go about purchasing the RHW.

Great choice on the DWS's! Huge difference in ride quality for sure!

Are the DWS's for your GS or your ES? $100 for all 4 tires isn't that bad at all... I'm not sure why I was being quoted $30 per tire...
Old 03-30-11, 10:51 AM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Gino, do you plan on buying the road hazard warranty for your new DWS's?

I'm still looking for any more input on buying the RHW. Anyone care to share?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-11, 08:44 PM
GinoC
Driver School Candidate

I did end up buying the road hazard warranty. It came out to about $98 bucks or so

It could have been that I had negotiated the price on the DWS like $20 less than list price.

These were for my GS.
Old 04-13-11, 01:08 AM
rjacket
Driver

Don't buy RH. You already have cover without it and they'll always fix nails for free anyway.
Old 09-03-11, 07:21 AM
ltuw
Driver School Candidate

Just bought 4 tires at Discount Tires and they negotiate on price which is what I like. I bought the warranty since they will cover any issues with sidewalls, potholes, nails. Above and beyond the manufacture. They told me Life but the "official" paper work says for three (3) years. I double checked with the manager and sales clerk and they both said "life" of the tires.

It's insurance and they seem to back it up from my research on other posts and forums.

If anything goes wrong they'll pay for it.
Old 09-03-11, 08:05 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did buy the road hazard thing and I did buy DWS and I did buy them from discount tires. Hmmm... so far I have not use it yet and I don't have them in town so anything I get from them I have to pay someone else to install them.
Old 09-03-11, 09:19 AM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Bought it... Used it... Saved $$$! But I live in Chicago so potholes are EVERYWHERE!
Old 09-03-11, 09:48 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never bought this and i'm on my 3rd set of tires. If i get a nail it takes me a few minutes to patch it. I live in Houston, tx so we have a little of all kinds of roads.
Old 09-03-11, 02:05 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I do the same too when I get nail. But when it puncture the side wall you are not suppose to patch it and that's when this road hazard come in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Hazard Warranty - worth it or not?