GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HELP!!! Drip Molding Peeling!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 03:07 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am still trying to locate these drip molding cheap

I took my 07 in for the valve recall and a fuel line recall. I brought up the molding issue that my car is having, and they quoted me a price of 1300 dollars to replace both of these drip moldings. I have been able to find them online for 350 a piece. They come pre painted, so, its just a matter of popping off the old one and snapping in the new one.

Oh, other than making your car look crappy, if your drip moldings are peeling, they cause a humming or whining sound when the wind hits them just right and the tape vibrates....mine make a horrible noise from 90-110mph.
Old 10-02-11, 10:01 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Originally Posted by LexinTex71
I took my 07 in for the valve recall and a fuel line recall. I brought up the molding issue that my car is having, and they quoted me a price of 1300 dollars to replace both of these drip moldings. I have been able to find them online for 350 a piece. They come pre painted, so, its just a matter of popping off the old one and snapping in the new one.

Oh, other than making your car look crappy, if your drip moldings are peeling, they cause a humming or whining sound when the wind hits them just right and the tape vibrates....mine make a horrible noise from 90-110mph.
Did you ever replace your moldings? I just noticed mine having the same problem this week. Annoying to have a 50K car have the molding peeling off....where did you find them online? I purchased my car brand new and of course this happens after my warranty is up.
Old 10-08-11, 10:34 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Drip seal

I have not purchased the drip seals yet. I was able to find them for ONLY 352.69 each...they come painted and ready to mount, you just have to pick the right color. They are supposed to snap in place. If you do buy them, please let me know how the uninstall/install goes....Im planning on getting these within the next couple of months.

Oh, the website I found that was the cheapest was here: note that these are the gray rails, you will have to do a search for your color:

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0
Old 10-11-11, 11:26 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Thanks, will keep you posted if I decide on replacing these. I've also been itching to upgrade to another car, so if that happens, I probably won't bother with the moldings....
Old 10-12-11, 09:34 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad at least someone else is having the same problem I am. Everyday in the heat it gets a little worse and it starting to have a wavy pattern so it's more and more noticeable. My car is still under CPO warranty but is not covered because it is considered "cosmetic".

I've asked about replacing them, but for a cheap piece of plastic they run like $600 each (wtf)! PLEASE let me know what you end up doing for a fix to this. I was thinking about painting them *** well, but I assume you have to peel all the plastic off first since it's not a "paint" that's on them, which I assume could be a pain (and expensive).

I was going to try and ghetto super glue them down, but thought better of it.
Old 10-12-11, 09:43 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Dealer covered replaced mine at NO CHARGE!!
Old 10-12-11, 09:53 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Iknowspurg
Dealer covered replaced mine at NO CHARGE!!
Under CPO warranty or factory (under 50k) warranty?
Old 10-13-11, 01:08 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Of the 3GS, are just the 2007 models having this happen? No 2006 or 2008?
Old 10-13-11, 01:31 PM
j0emama
Pole Position

Has anyone submitted a "good faith" form to Lexus? Basically my service guy recommended filling one out asking Lexus to cover this even though it's not covered on CPO warranty (would have been covered on factory 50k warranty).

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck on this. I assume the best they'll do is cover half the costs versus just fixing it.
Old 01-04-12, 09:08 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Has anyone come up with any cheaper fixes for this aside from replacing (est. $800)?

The more time that goes by the more that peels up and is starting to look really bad.
Old 01-06-12, 06:32 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw the same problem on a graphite 07 I was looking at buying. Couldn't believe that it was tape. Very disappointing on any car let alone a Lexus!
Old 01-06-12, 06:58 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sprtdsgnGS
Saw the same problem on a graphite 07 I was looking at buying. Couldn't believe that it was tape. Very disappointing on any car let alone a Lexus!
Apparently because of the material they are made of they can't be painted. Someone at dealership said they tested it out with an extra they had lying around. Stripped it completely and paint just wouldn't adhere/cure correctly.

Submitting it to Lexus for Goodwill repair, let's see if I have any luck!
Old 01-06-12, 07:14 AM
NYCGS350
Rookie

word of advice, never go by what Carfax says...Invest in a Paint depth meter and measure all metal panels of the car...it will save your *** when you try to sell it and find out your car was repainted
Old 01-06-12, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by j0emama
Apparently because of the material they are made of they can't be painted. Someone at dealership said they tested it out with an extra they had lying around. Stripped it completely and paint just wouldn't adhere/cure correctly.

Submitting it to Lexus for Goodwill repair, let's see if I have any luck!
i would think it usually depends on the prepping and also the priming process to make sure paint stick well to the particular surface?
Old 01-06-12, 02:03 PM
j0emama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i would think it usually depends on the prepping and also the priming process to make sure paint stick well to the particular surface?
You would assume. Let's just hope Lexus bails me out, fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Drip Molding Peeling!