GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HELP- 2007gs350- water in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 06:22 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- 2007gs350- water in the car.

I started smelling a "wet dog" smell from inside my car. And I have no dog. I traced it to a large amount of water on the floor behind the driver's seat. I think my daughter spilled a bottle of water and didn't tell me.

I think I soaked up all the water, but that was 3 days ago now, and every day I get into my car, the carpet in the back is a bit damp. I soak up what I can with "absorber" type towel. But water still seems to be there.

Today I deside to lift up the floor mat on the passenger back seat area and the carpet is wet too. Nowhere near the same wetness as the other side. So I check the front areas. The driver side feels dry. Maybe a tad wet. The passenger side is wet.

The passenger side front. It seems wet all the way to the top of where the floor mat was. More on the left side going up. Nowhere near the same wetness as behind my seat. I'm not sure if by "capillary action" the water moved up or if maybe water came in?

So...

Now you know the problems.
1) How do I get rid of the water that's still in the carpet? I don't have a wet/dry vac and not sure if that would even help as its not a puddle of water, but more like damp carpet, which I dry but seems to get damp again.
2) If my daughter did spill a bottle of water, how could it get from one side of the car to the other side? To make the rear passenger area floor wet?
3) If water is leaking from under the dashboard on the passenger side, what could it be? I can't picture THAT much water coming from a a/c unit. I hardly drive for 10-15mins on the weekdays.

Last edited by starstreak; 02-12-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 06:40 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common problem, although I haven't had it. There is a TSIB ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...to-my-car.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...et-carpet.html

Hopefully your still under warranty. Don't forget to apologize to your daughter.
Old 02-12-11, 07:19 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the problem and the TSB was only for the 2006 models??
Old 02-12-11, 07:22 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Omg. I really hope this is covered. The links you gave didn't state how long the tsb will cover. Mines a 2007 and under 50k. Augh. I hope it's not as bad as some people with mold and mildew. I can't see under the carpet. Thanks for the help. I guess my daughter didn't spill water after all.

After removing the mats earlier, I went back to my car and I saw this in the front passenger foot area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/starstreak007/5440586424/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/starstreak007/5440586424/http://www.flickr.com/photos/starstreak007/5440586424/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/starstreak007/, on Flickr

Last edited by starstreak; 02-12-11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 10:32 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would only be covered if you were still under warranty ... factory or extended. The TSIB just tells the tech what to do ... it's not the same as a recall.

If you're out of warranty, you could ask them if they would do it out of good will since it is a known potential problem.
Old 02-12-11, 11:17 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I have extended warranty. So it should be covered. I guess I should write an email to schedule an appointment to check the car.
Old 02-14-11, 06:05 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Oh well now this is crap.
Lexus got my email for an appointment. They called me back today. Oh. Your std warrenty just ended Dec'10. And your extended warrenty doesn't cover damage like this.
BUT they are sending photos to the warrenty company to see if they might cover it. They MIGHT cover anywhere from 25-90%. They better find a way to get them to cover the car. The water damage looks like it's been there for months. The carpet even looks to be stained from old water.
They went on to say that the dealership will back me up and may offer some help. We'll see how this goes.
Old 02-14-11, 06:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

heheh.

it's too bad extended warranties are a joke.
Old 02-14-11, 06:47 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. I feel so much better.
Old 02-15-11, 05:20 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ask the dealer for a good will repair on a well known problem. Call Lexus CS, they are a great asset to helping customers.
Old 02-15-11, 07:39 AM
OhOneWS6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Ask the dealer for a good will repair on a well known problem. Call Lexus CS, they are a great asset to helping customers.
X2. You missed you warranty end date by 2 months. I know my dealer would still take care of me. After hearing all these stories about other dealers I am glad to have Sewell as my dealer. They always go above and beyond.
Old 02-15-11, 04:33 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Thanks. I feel so much better.
Sorry that made me laugh a little....
Old 02-15-11, 05:25 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

I had the same exact thing. I was furious with the dealership. They pretty much said "sorry... your out of warranty and here is your quote for $2500.00. I have a 2006 GS300. The floor behind the passenger seat would fill up with water. I especially noticed it after I had been driving for several miles.. highway etc.. I was out of warranty by 700 miles when I noticed it. I got the number to corporate Lexus and told them about the problem. I also made them admit to me that they knew this is a common problem. They called the dealership and they got back to me within 48 hours. They covered it 100%. They had it for almost a week and they put me in a Lexus loaner while it was being fixed and while they dried the carpet. They will fix it.
Old 02-16-11, 11:36 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I got a email saying they stepped in for me and got the warrenty company to pay 50%, which I think is good that they are "trying" to get this covered. But as the owner of this car, I think it's stupid that it's "Only" 50%. I need it done. I'm not going to continue breathing mold or mildew in my car. I'm also going to try and call Lexus corporate and see what else can be done for the cost of the repair.
Old 02-16-11, 04:33 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Well, I got a email saying they stepped in for me and got the warrenty company to pay 50%, which I think is good that they are "trying" to get this covered. But as the owner of this car, I think it's stupid that it's "Only" 50%. I need it done. I'm not going to continue breathing mold or mildew in my car. I'm also going to try and call Lexus corporate and see what else can be done for the cost of the repair.

Your ext warranty is not from Lexus, is it?

Quick Reply: HELP- 2007gs350- water in the car.