GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

looking for contacts in socal for key fob purchase and programing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 06:44 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for contacts in socal for key fob purchase and programing

Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealerships in the socal area where I can purchase a second key fob and have it programed at a decent price?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-11, 08:24 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Brand new, I say Sewell. I think it's about $130ish shipped with the discount code. You can find a used one on eBay but dealerships are hit and miss about re programing a used one. My friend works at a local lexus dealership and he said corp is taking away there discount if not all but most of the parts now. He told me he can re program a used remote but it PITA compared to a new one. I'm looking to get a 2nd fob also and might just go through Sewell.
Old 02-10-11, 09:06 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!! I don't mind buying a brand new fob. I'll look into ordering it from sewell. Would your friend be willing to help me program it if I brought it to him?
Old 02-11-11, 09:39 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea that its harder to reprogram a used fob compared with a new one is nonsense.

When a fob is added to a car, they have reprogram all that car's fobs at once.

E.g. I added a third key to my car. When I wanted that third fob programed, I had to take all three of the keys to the dealer, and they had to reprogram the 2 original keys to make sure all were synchronized to the same code.

So given that adding a new key always involves also reprogramming the old keys, it doesn't make a difference whether the new key is new or old.

The reason some dealers don't like programming used fobs is because customers buy the wrong FCC-ID, and then complain when the dealer can't program it. In these instances it is the customers fault, but the dealer is blamed.

Just make sure you buy a key that works and has the right FCC-ID.
Old 02-13-11, 08:52 AM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Originally Posted by kennuth
Thanks!! I don't mind buying a brand new fob. I'll look into ordering it from sewell. Would your friend be willing to help me program it if I brought it to him?
I'll ask him, but since they took away some benefits it may not be at a discount. I'll see what he charges and you can call your local dealership to see if it's worth it going through my friends.
Old 02-13-11, 10:50 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MizikeTSK
I'll ask him, but since they took away some benefits it may not be at a discount. I'll see what he charges and you can call your local dealership to see if it's worth it going through my friends.
I appreciate it. Let me know what he says - I'll check with longo lexus to see how much they charge.
Old 02-18-11, 07:40 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Check with your local dealership but I got a flyer from my local dealership(where my friend works) They are celebrating 20 years of Lexus or something like that and for the month of Feb are going back to the labor rate of $89 per hour for service. It's about a half hour of labor charge to program.
Old 02-19-11, 09:14 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is due for a significant service or if you have a warranty issue (especially if you have a warranty issue), dealerships will usually throw in reprogramming a fob for 'good will'.

On a side note (and not to hijack the thread), I've taken my car in twice this past year for warranty (not TSB) repairs - one was for the HVAC system and the other was a bad side mirror motor. Each time they have filled the tank with gas. That's good will not to be forgotten. Dealerships recognize the value of good will and I don't see why reprogramming a key fob wouldn't apply along that philosophy (certainly less expensive then filling a tank of gas).
Old 02-21-11, 01:17 AM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys!

I checked with longo and one of the service advisors there told me that the programming will be $45. There are a couple minor warranty things that I can have done; i'll see if I can get them to program the additional key along with that work. I'll update after it's done. So far my experience with longo has been great - just as Bushwack mentioned, they did fill up my gas tank as part of my service.
Old 03-09-11, 08:58 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

$45 isn't bad I guess, even if my friend were to do it for free you would spend that much in gas alone (atleast). I had mine done in less the 15 mins, he was doing my oil change at the same time. There was a print out somewhere here with screen shots that helped out alot he said since he doesn't really do them at his shop.

Last edited by MizikeTSK; 03-10-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 11:55 AM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for checking. Where is your friend located?
Old 03-10-11, 05:20 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

He's in the San Diego (Lexus of Kearney Mesa) but wouldnt bet on it being free though.