GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

valve spring recall and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 03:15 PM
lexasgs400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve spring recall and oil change

Just picked up my 07 gs350 from the dealership after the valve spring recall was completed
I asked what oil they used, they stated they didnt change it, is that normal?
No car wash, car wash was out of order.
No fuel top off.
side mirror was knocked in had to use the power to pull them in then back out seems ok.

Just restarted my car for the first time after sitting for an hour or so and had a noticeable clatter for approx 1 second. What should I do

Last edited by lexasgs400; 02-07-11 at 05:18 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-07-11, 03:38 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dealerships can basically sell used cars (non certified) any way they see fit, there are no standards other than whatever minimum safety requirements exist where you live for when a car changes registration.

Bought mine second hand from Toyota. Tank was full, car was washed, and whatever service it needed for the next regular service interval was taken care of and they fixed all of the things I told them to fix before delivery but it's dealership specific and when it comes down to it, it's up to the consumer to decide whether to buy it there or not and make sure the terms of the sale are to their liking before handing over any money.
Old 02-07-11, 04:22 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexasgs400
Just picked up my 07 gs350 from the dealership
I asked what oil they used, they stated they didnt change it, is that normal?
No car wash, car wash was out of order.
No fuel top off.
side mirror was knocked in had to use the power to pull them in then back out seems ok.

Just restarted my car for the first time after sitting for an hour or so and had a noticeable clatter for approx 1 second. What should I do
Oil change isn't part of the valve replacement, but topping off the tank is. Mine wasn't topped off either, so the next day I called and asked if maybe someone just forgot. They apologized and filled it up the next time I was in the neighborhood.

Lexus made a mistake that not only is an inconvenience to us, it also has a very real negative impact on the resale value of our cars. Make sure that you give them the opportunity to make amends ... it's the least they can do. Also make sure that you get your extended powertrain warranty or $500. These take a few weeks to arrive after the service is performed.

I would mention your disappointment about the mirrors, but if there is no harm done its kinda pointless. I would also mention the clatter noise you described, and have them try to reproduce it when you get your tank filled. At least you'll have documented the problem.
Old 02-07-11, 05:31 PM
lexasgs400
Pole Position

Default response

The adviser told me of the car wash before I left and said I could come back next week. Before I left I jokingly mentioned the gas and notified her of the mirror.
She called later and told me when I come in for the car wash she will fill up my car.
I mentioned the noise, she stated the valve springs were not to alleviate any valve train noise,\ that maybe it was an issue with the cam gear campaign, I then let her know that has already been done.
Old 02-08-11, 10:51 PM
quizex
Rookie

Just took mine back from recall - it seems to me that engine become quieter... Gas tank was filled up and car washed, too bad it was snowing that day, but still 5 star service for my local dealer. Next "fuel smell" recall is due in couple of weeks, will bring it empty to get a free tank of gas again