GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review

Yesterday a good friend of mine called me and said he got the BeatSonic override for his GS350, and he asked me to install it for him. I told him from what I see and read on the forum, the kit might not be straight plug and play. He always thought the Prestigious kit is pricey so he never got it, and he told me he got a good deal on the BS kit so why not. I figured it might be a good chance for me to do a little review on this kit as well anyway, especially since I have it in my car as well.

When we opened the kit, I noticed that the buttons are HUGE and frankly, a bit ugly. There are two big button boxes, one for navigation override and one for video override. Moreover, the cables they run are quite big and wide as well. This basically makes it pretty hard to find a spot to cleanly mount the buttons (more like hide). My friend was a bit disappointed at that point already (especially since he knows how the PS buttons look).

Next I noticed that the kit will not work without quite some modification on the wiring for the navigation override (bummer). Basically the setup is 2 separate units daisy chained together. Wiring is messier especially since you have to modify them.

The instruction that comes with the kit is quite unhelpful as well. First of all it’s in Japanese, and it is not vehicle specific, so you don’t know the steps on how to take your car apart at all unless you already know how to do it.

Another thing I noticed is the brains. The PS kit is basically a solid box containing all the circuitry, that’s good protection. The BS kits, both are basically just the board with heat shrink wrap around them. They are on the flimsy side imho. For tight vehicles like the IS, if things aren’t put back carefully, I am not surprised the brain will be pinched and who knows what happens next?

Also, for the DVD override module, there is another ground wire that you need to tap. It’s a real mystery to me why this is the case (instead of running power off the harnesses). No biggie, but another step.

In any case, after half hour of playing with wiring, we installed the BS kits and test drove his car, everything works just fine. Of course I made sure everything was secured so the brains aren’t pressed against something.

However, the two buttons were really big and my friend was quite unhappy about them. Basically we couldn’t find a good reasonable place to hide the buttons (no way you want to put these buttons exposed) but yet make them accessible. It’s no easy task to tell the status of the navigation override button, no LED no nothing. ON and OFF positions differ by maybe 2mm so everything is by feel.

At that point, my friend was pretty upset already and didn’t want the BS kit anymore. And with the dash all apart, he broke down and called PS to see if they had any kit in stock. Amazingly, 1 hour later, the PS kit was picked up and we were off to another install. 30 mins later, the PS kit is in, and he couldn’t be happier. So now he has this modified BS kit for sale, haha….

Anyway, here’s my summary and opinions

BS kit:
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • it works fine (both navigation and DVD override)
Cons:
  • ridiculously big buttons
  • thick cable with silly Ethernet jack type connection
  • the brains are flimsy (boards + heat shrink wrap)
  • need wiring modification (kiss your BS warranty goodbye)
  • daisy chained, so more harnesses stacked at the back of navigation
  • horrible / non-existing installation instruction

PS kit:
Pros:
  • fully plug and play, no wire modification
  • beautiful button module, and LED lit for status (especially at night)
  • thinner cable for easy routing
  • brain is well protected with box made with ABS materials
  • great installation instruction and support
Cons:
  • more pricey

So there you go. Both kits work if you talk about the ultimate goal of overriding the system. But on the details, it’s your choice on what you want. The PS kit is more expensive, but comparing the two, I think it’s more expensive for a very obvious reason. Construction is way better, installation is much easier (and cheaper if you bring it outside), and the buttons are more reasonable with LED as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rominl; 01-17-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 12:26 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly if i had ML on my GS350 PS override makes a lot more sense for extra $100. But this is a great option for the people who never use the TV/DVD or just don't have it. You basiclly paying full price for an item that you can only use 50%. The other 50% would be DVD that most of 3GS owners don't have. Rominl like always this write up is clean,well described, nice picture, and thanks a lot for taking you time and doing this for us.

(Have you're friend PM me and let me know how much he willing to part that BS nav override kit for)
Old 01-17-11, 05:18 AM
mrblack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up!

Having just purchased the NVK03 and am working through the install. I have thought about the button. I've taken the casing apart and looks easy enough for anyone to hardwire a different type of flush mount switch bought from radio shack. If they dont mind cutting the cable. It a standard straight-through type and I'm sure any standard cat5 like network cable may be suitable. The only reason for the button and the "brain board" being so big was the MFG's choice of using an RJ45 connector. I suppose it allows for better flexibility in cable length and mounting location but is big and not very lexus looking. I am going to look at radio shack and see what better button options I may have.
Old 01-17-11, 07:56 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

prestigious society kit well worth the $$$$$$$$$
I can't think of those BIG BUTTONS on the Beatronic......yeeeeuuucky
Old 01-17-11, 08:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

those button suck. i wonder how hard it would be to remove them from the plastic casing and extend the wires so you could make a custom switch. that would be the only way id install that kit.
Old 01-17-11, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Honestly if i had ML on my GS350 PS override makes a lot more sense for extra $100. But this is a great option for the people who never use the TV/DVD or just don't have it. You basiclly paying full price for an item that you can only use 50%. The other 50% would be DVD that most of 3GS owners don't have. Rominl like always this write up is clean,well described, nice picture, and thanks a lot for taking you time and doing this for us.

(Have you're friend PM me and let me know how much he willing to part that BS nav override kit for)
you are welcome man, it just so happened that i got my hands on these so i figured might as well

yes, i agree. those who wants just the nav override, the BS can be a good contender coz' you pay less (and pay for what you really use), plus you only have to deal with one button box compared to two.

Originally Posted by mrblack
Thanks for the write up!

Having just purchased the NVK03 and am working through the install. I have thought about the button. I've taken the casing apart and looks easy enough for anyone to hardwire a different type of flush mount switch bought from radio shack. If they dont mind cutting the cable. It a standard straight-through type and I'm sure any standard cat5 like network cable may be suitable. The only reason for the button and the "brain board" being so big was the MFG's choice of using an RJ45 connector. I suppose it allows for better flexibility in cable length and mounting location but is big and not very lexus looking. I am going to look at radio shack and see what better button options I may have.
i looked at the details of the kit quite a bit before i started working on my friend's car, including the button, the RJ45 setup, the harnesses, etc... my conclusion is most of the choices are from a cost reduction point of view. using RJ45 jack and cable, it's cheaper, because it's universal and it's widely available. this is compared to custom made (more or less) cable and connectors, etc... you will notice the same when you look at how the main harnesses are constructed, vs how the PS kit is done.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
those button suck. i wonder how hard it would be to remove them from the plastic casing and extend the wires so you could make a custom switch. that would be the only way id install that kit.
removing the casing is the easy part, but the RJ45 jack is just about the size of the button too (that surface area), so that means the new switch will still be about the same thickness at least, or you go further and remove the RJ45 and do some very custom wiring / soldering.
Old 01-17-11, 09:02 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Henry is "Thee Man" .....Henry is my hero....
Old 01-17-11, 09:45 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome, but I assume there is nothing for us owners with the standard Audio and Nav. aka (cheapo non-ML)
Old 01-17-11, 10:30 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Henry, with all due respect, you forgot to mention that you have some sort of interest in the Prestigious Society. I remember a year or so ago, when some of us were trying to figure out a way to connect the Datasystem override kits to avoid a time delay, you were the biggest pusher of the Prestigious Society, and one of the strictest defenders of their "secret technology".

Just as a reminder, posts #17-21 from this thread.

and post #17, and #29-39 here.

So, can you really be objective in comparing a PS kit to anything else?

Let's be fair....
Old 01-17-11, 10:33 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Henry, with all due respect, you forgot to mention that you have some sort of interest in the Prestigious Society. I remember a year or so ago, when some of us were trying to figure out a way to connect the Datasystem override kits to avoid a time delay, you were the biggest pusher of the Prestigious Society, and one of the strictest defenders of their "secret technology".

Just as a reminder, post #17 from this thread.

and post #17, and #34-39 here.

Let's be fair....
your right lets be fair. take a look at the ps buttons and the buttons for the BeatSonic. enough said.

I think Henry did a good review on it. it looks cheaply made and when you go cheap, you get what you paid for.
Old 01-17-11, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
This is awesome, but I assume there is nothing for us owners with the standard Audio and Nav. aka (cheapo non-ML)
the BS unit will work on car with nav and no ml. the harnesses are all the same.

Just as a reminder, posts #17-21 from this thread.

and post #17, and #29-39 here.

Let's be fair....
if you think my review is biased in any way, by all means ignore it. i have no special interest in PS except the fact that i have it in my car (and mind you i paid top dollars for it way back when no one had it). if you think anything that i said was unfair, feel free to ignore or point it out so i can elaborate. i even went through all the trouble to take all the pictures of both units so everything is presented out there for people to decide.

to me, i tried to keep an open mind and review both units and pointed out the goods and bads. the BS kit works, i stated that. the BS kit needs work (at least the current one), i stated that. the PS kit is expensive, i stated that. the PS kit is better constructed, i stated that.

i didn't even tell anyone to not get the BS kit. in more than one occasion i said the kit works and if that's what you want, there it is. it's up to people to decide what kind of details they want out of their kits, and i leave that up to people.

my push for the PS kit back then was solely based on what i think is right and not right, and i still stand by that. it's nothing different from people getting knock off products and i highly object that (look at my signature and avatar). are you trying to say i am related to all authentic manufacturers as well? you are nuts if you think so.

but i guess i can understand why you react this way, since i was one of few who opposed you when you were the one who tried to obtain PS instruction. that's fine with me, i simply continue to do what i think is right.

Last edited by rominl; 01-17-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 11:59 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

In that case, where is your objections about Prestigious Society placing their logo on a kit manufactured by Datasystem?
Old 01-17-11, 12:01 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
your right lets be fair. take a look at the ps buttons and the buttons for the BeatSonic. enough said.

I think Henry did a good review on it. it looks cheaply made and when you go cheap, you get what you paid for.
LMAO! Hahahaha

Yah, I agree. I think Henry did a great job on it and it appears very unbiased, IMO.
Old 01-17-11, 12:31 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

In that case, where is your objections about Prestigious Society placing their logo on a kit manufactured by Datasystem?
and your point? We all know there is no "ps kit" and that its the same kit that datasystem sells. would you prefer the title be changed to DataSystem vs BeatSonic?
Old 01-17-11, 12:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Arnie, please exit this thread and let the discussion get back to comparing the two products. Thanks.

Other members lets get back on topic please thanks.

Quick Reply: Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review