GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 10:58 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=batman75;6080814]

REALLY COOL! I like this the best.
Old 01-28-11, 05:28 PM
lmcgeko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a good comparison. With an expensive car, why get an override that is ugly, with potential for problems.
I think I am convinced on going for the expensive route. I definitely want something I can understand, and more importantly not have to void my warranty mucking with the wiring in the car
Old 06-29-11, 06:33 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

{{Ugh,
I think I was looking at the wrong plug. After reading the testing thread for Datasystem, I realize now that the blue plug I am looking for should be at the very bottom of radio. I will attempt this again tonight.}}

So I went to install my Navigation kit today. I took out the radio and I noticed that the Nav unit single interface plug (which is pictured to be a small square blue plug) Is not a square at all. my navigation plug is more of a flatter rectangle shape. It will not fit into my jumper harness, and my jumper harness will surely not plug into the factory radio.

I have a 2007 GS350 (Non-ML) Has no one else come across this fitment issue? Are there different harnesses for different years? ie: 2006/7 and 2008-10 ?

Thanks

Last edited by B.Diddy; 06-29-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-29-11, 10:35 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
{{Ugh,
I think I was looking at the wrong plug. After reading the testing thread for Datasystem, I realize now that the blue plug I am looking for should be at the very bottom of radio. I will attempt this again tonight.}}

So I went to install my Navigation kit today. I took out the radio and I noticed that the Nav unit single interface plug (which is pictured to be a small square blue plug) Is not a square at all. my navigation plug is more of a flatter rectangle shape. It will not fit into my jumper harness, and my jumper harness will surely not plug into the factory radio.

I have a 2007 GS350 (Non-ML) Has no one else come across this fitment issue? Are there different harnesses for different years? ie: 2006/7 and 2008-10 ?

Thanks
I believe you need to get behind the glove box to get to the plug you need. That is what I did on my 07.
Old 06-29-11, 10:55 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I did not look for this #1 blue plug far enough down the radio assembly. I accidentally was referencing another blue plug about 2" from top of radio. I think I should have it all figured out by tonight. I do not believe I have anything to lengthen.
Old 06-29-11, 10:56 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

^ i believe thats correct. there should be 1 plug you undo on the back of the radio at the top center and then also a plug behind the glovebox.
Old 06-29-11, 11:02 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

^^ I thought I read about the plug behind the glove box a few months ago, but I do not have the ML audio, so I do not have to alter any sort of video output. I just purchased the Beatsonic kit to allow for my wife to make navigation selections while we drive on road trips.

Where does the plug behind the glove box come into play with this mod?
Old 06-29-11, 11:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

thats the plug for the navi
Old 06-29-11, 11:28 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I was referencing that blue plug in the pic there.

No big deal -I see what needs to be done now. I can easily extend the 2 blue, red and black wires on the jumper harness 3ft or so and resolder them so they can reach the USDM NAV unit.
Old 08-11-17, 09:58 AM
tony32206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get the PS override for 2007 Gs350 with Mark Levingston nav/dvd

Originally Posted by rominl
Yesterday a good friend of mine called me and said he got the BeatSonic override for his GS350, and he asked me to install it for him. I told him from what I see and read on the forum, the kit might not be straight plug and play. He always thought the Prestigious kit is pricey so he never got it, and he told me he got a good deal on the BS kit so why not. I figured it might be a good chance for me to do a little review on this kit as well anyway, especially since I have it in my car as well.

where

where

When we opened the kit, I noticed that the buttons are HUGE and frankly, a bit ugly. There are two big button boxes, one for navigation override and one for video override. Moreover, the cables they run are quite big and wide as well. This basically makes it pretty hard to find a spot to cleanly mount the buttons (more like hide). My friend was a bit disappointed at that point already (especially since he knows how the PS buttons look).

Next I noticed that the kit will not work without quite some modification on the wiring for the navigation override (bummer). Basically the setup is 2 separate units daisy chained together. Wiring is messier especially since you have to modify them.

The instruction that comes with the kit is quite unhelpful as well. First of all it’s in Japanese, and it is not vehicle specific, so you don’t know the steps on how to take your car apart at all unless you already know how to do it.

Another thing I noticed is the brains. The PS kit is basically a solid box containing all the circuitry, that’s good protection. The BS kits, both are basically just the board with heat shrink wrap around them. They are on the flimsy side imho. For tight vehicles like the IS, if things aren’t put back carefully, I am not surprised the brain will be pinched and who knows what happens next?

Also, for the DVD override module, there is another ground wire that you need to tap. It’s a real mystery to me why this is the case (instead of running power off the harnesses). No biggie, but another step.

In any case, after half hour of playing with wiring, we installed the BS kits and test drove his car, everything works just fine. Of course I made sure everything was secured so the brains aren’t pressed against something.

However, the two buttons were really big and my friend was quite unhappy about them. Basically we couldn’t find a good reasonable place to hide the buttons (no way you want to put these buttons exposed) but yet make them accessible. It’s no easy task to tell the status of the navigation override button, no LED no nothing. ON and OFF positions differ by maybe 2mm so everything is by feel.

At that point, my friend was pretty upset already and didn’t want the BS kit anymore. And with the dash all apart, he broke down and called PS to see if they had any kit in stock. Amazingly, 1 hour later, the PS kit was picked up and we were off to another install. 30 mins later, the PS kit is in, and he couldn’t be happier. So now he has this modified BS kit for sale, haha….

Anyway, here’s my summary and opinions

BS kit:
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • it works fine (both navigation and DVD override)
Cons:
  • ridiculously big buttons
  • thick cable with silly Ethernet jack type connection
  • the brains are flimsy (boards + heat shrink wrap)
  • need wiring modification (kiss your BS warranty goodbye)
  • daisy chained, so more harnesses stacked at the back of navigation
  • horrible / non-existing installation instruction

PS kit:
Pros:
  • fully plug and play, no wire modification
  • beautiful button module, and LED lit for status (especially at night)
  • thinner cable for easy routing
  • brain is well protected with box made with ABS materials
  • great installation instruction and support
Cons:
  • more pricey

So there you go. Both kits work if you talk about the ultimate goal of overriding the system. But on the details, it’s your choice on what you want. The PS kit is more expensive, but comparing the two, I think it’s more expensive for a very obvious reason. Construction is way better, installation is much easier (and cheaper if you bring it outside), and the buttons are more reasonable with LED as well.

Hope this helps.
where can I buy prestigious society kit for gs350 2007