GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 12:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great write up

I agree the buttons, IMO, kill that kit. I like the datasystems kit and I have nad no issues with mine. What the wires look like behind the dash panels really doesnt matter since no one will see them just so long the parts are protected and I think the BS kit would hold up behind the dash. It really boils down to the buttons IMO. Seems like the cost is pretty close on both but its always good to have competition to keep prices fair and in line for all of us
Old 01-17-11, 12:50 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review Henry as always. IMO very informative and detailed so that the consumer can make up his own mind of which system to get. Nice listing of Pro's/Con's of both systems.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-11, 01:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
great write up

I agree the buttons, IMO, kill that kit. I like the datasystems kit and I have nad no issues with mine. What the wires look like behind the dash panels really doesnt matter since no one will see them just so long the parts are protected and I think the BS kit would hold up behind the dash. It really boils down to the buttons IMO. Seems like the cost is pretty close on both but its always good to have competition to keep prices fair and in line for all of us
thanks everyone, appreciate it

i do have to say it's quite a gap between the BS and the PS kits in terms of pricing. one advantage of the BS kit is that if you don't care about video, then you can get just the nav override for even more affordable price, that's a big plus. regarding the button, it would be cool to see if anyone has better idea. imho the RJ45 is the biggest problem to deal with, if one is to attempt flush mount or something similar
Old 01-17-11, 01:27 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
great write up

yea but look at all the stuff you have to fit back behind the unit. theres not much room back there to begin with.
Old 01-17-11, 01:53 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
those button suck. i wonder how hard it would be to remove them from the plastic casing and extend the wires so you could make a custom switch. that would be the only way id install that kit.
Just so happen to do that today If anyone is interested I will post details. Switch is from radio shack. I modifed a network CAT5 cable and utilized the coin tray to help secure the button from the bottom. Works like a champ. No timer. connected at the back of the NAV unit and had to extend harness but it really wasn't a big deal. Well worth the tinkering to end up with a very stock look EDIT : "Stock fit"

Last edited by mrblack; 01-17-11 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 02:16 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblack
....Well worth the tinkering to end up with a very stock look.

I'm sorry but no offense. It looks nothing like stock, IMO. The switch fits great but physically doesn't 'flow' with any other stock switches to give it that stock 'look'.
Old 01-17-11, 02:53 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I'm sorry but no offense. It looks nothing like stock, IMO. The switch fits great but physically doesn't 'flow' with any other stock switches to give it that stock 'look'.
Yeah I see what you are saying. Stock fit but not stock look. Would help if it were rounded more and black. I looked at every switch they had and came home with this and another one which ended up not being the right type (was double pole single throw "DPST") This application needs DPDT and it fit the hole great. I'm happy with the way it looks. I suppose one could dremmel the sharp edges down a bit and paint it black if they want to get really picky.

For those interested in modifying the BS supplied switch for NVK03 please see this post:
Changing NVK03 Switch

Last edited by mrblack; 01-17-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 03:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for sure it looks far better than the original BS ones!
Old 01-17-11, 04:09 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
Thanks man!
Old 01-17-11, 07:00 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-11, 07:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm curious, what's the retail price for the bs kit?
Old 01-17-11, 08:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Henry has no interests in Prestigious Society. His position here is perfectly balanced in my opinion.
- His pictures make the facts pretty clear. They are also consistent with the pictures of the other forum member Bolido who installed the kit.
- I can't see anything in Henry's pros and cons that any logical person could disagree with. His points are dead on target and consistent with what Bolido also told us.

This is an excellent review. I was myself keen to hear people review and test the beatsonic (and I was quite enthusiastic about them initially), but I think from this it is very clear that the Datasystems override kit is significantly better than the beatsonic kit. The price difference is not worth it in my opinion.

Also if you shop around you can get the Datasystems kit for $200-250 (obviously without the excellent PS manual and PS customer service line, but the is enough info on this forum to get the job done).
Old 01-17-11, 08:13 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i'm curious, what's the retail price for the bs kit?
$115us when I bought from their site. few weeks ago. NVK03 no video
Old 01-17-11, 08:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree and you can cover it up so no one looks at it. Great idea and place for it
Old 01-17-11, 08:16 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm...didn't think the BS button would cause such a big uproar
The PS kit button looks a lot nicer than the BS kit, but to be honest I don't want
to see either button in plain view. I quite like the placement of my BS button and it looks fairly inconspicuous with my gray interior. I also like that there is only one button that is easy to press by feel.

I do agree that if you want the DVD override I would suck it up and pay more for a PS kit on Ebay as the install is a lot cleaner.

Quick Reply: Prestigious Society vs BeatSonic navigation override review