GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 09:50 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, nice photo-shoot.
Respect mmade22
Old 01-04-11, 06:34 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Absolutely one of the best threads I have ever read here. Your car looks great and you obviously love it and take great care of it. I wish I had your patience and skills or better yet, wish you were my neighbor! (LOL). My 2006 GS would love you! Keep up the good work and remember, you won't always get it right the first time but no pain, no gain.
Old 01-04-11, 10:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

epic DIY thread; thx for sharing, it's great to see what you're doing.
Old 01-07-11, 02:54 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

so when do we really need to change/flush our brake fluid & ATF?
Old 01-10-11, 09:45 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Whlkev started a great thread on various lighting options here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...194-led-2.html

I tried several variations, and settled on a uniform 6000k (white) look on the lows, fogs and city light. Having had my DRL turned off, my city light effectively functions as my DRL now.
Originally Posted by batman75
I have been meaning to try these. Perhaps you can check it out and let us know. These are supposed to burn whiter than the OEM bulbs and provide a more powerful high beam.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght-bulbs.html
Thanks Chris and Batman! I ended up going the cheap way out here and I bought (15 dollars shipped) a set of Lietch super white bulbs. The effect is not great during the day with the daytime running lights but at this point, I don't care. I have my highbeams back and the DRL is a little whiter with a slight bit of yellow. Without full power, it's tough to get the light we are after. Those LED bulbs during the day were the best look hands down but I out of everyone here, need my highbeams more than the look.

Here is the lights now:

Name:  IMG_8313.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  119.2 KB

The highbeams are nice:

Name:  IMG_8320.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8321.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  105.4 KB

The best I could get a shot of what the DRL looks like with the camera

Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  30.2 KB

I sure do love these 9005 LEDS.... I think they are going in the wifes RX in the fog location:

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
Nice work, nice photo-shoot.
Respect mmade22
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Absolutely one of the best threads I have ever read here. Your car looks great and you obviously love it and take great care of it. I wish I had your patience and skills or better yet, wish you were my neighbor! (LOL). My 2006 GS would love you! Keep up the good work and remember, you won't always get it right the first time but no pain, no gain.
You said it! Not everyone knows everything!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
epic DIY thread; thx for sharing, it's great to see what you're doing.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LexiGS
so when do we really need to change/flush our brake fluid & ATF?
ATF they say after 120k plus or never which is just crazy in my mind!

Look in your owners manual but the Brake Fluid is done every 60k miles! Sounds like you may be past due on that one?

Well I got my tires installed and I never drove the car on the hwy till this week and I noticed a bad vibration in my seats while doing 70-80 mph. I took the tires off (making sure they don't damage a wheel) and took them down to the installer. We put them on the machine and in both rear tires, I have flat spots! "Son of a *****!" I called Tire Rack and they are super nice and had no issues sending me out another set of tires today. Off to the installer this week to get another set of tires put on

Read the owners manual and you will find your jacking point to get the entire car up in the rear:

Name:  IMG_8306.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8309.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8312.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  145.0 KB

Make sure with any aftermarket rim you put on, you get a hucentric rings to go with them. This keeps the rim on in the center when you install the wheel to the car:

I also got my Vaistech ML+ in last week and decided to install that into the car this weekend. After I installed everything, I realized the Rockfish cable I bought for the ipod intergration was bad! So now I ordered a oem Apple one and am waiting to finish up the install. The car is back together but is coming apart this Saturday to install the new cable. I am also getting some material to embroider on and install in the center console. I hope to have the install done next weekend and will have the pictures up of the finished product. I'm adding my own touch to the install and I'm going to make my console an electronic hookup! All wires must be hidden and out of sight of the **** driver!

Here are some pictures of the install:

Name:  IMG_8340.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8339.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8338.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8335.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8336.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8327.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  141.5 KB

Pictures of the final install to come after next weekend! Enjoy!
Old 01-10-11, 01:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your final ML+ install. Looks like you went much deeper with the tear down then we did. We just took apart everything in front of the armrest but not the armrest itself.
Old 01-10-11, 01:52 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I am a bit disturbed by your tires having flat spots. Designo has the same issue with his first set of Yokohamas from Tire Rack. I have a radial pull issue with my Michelin PS2s from Tire Rack.

I wonder if they have some sort of a process issue which is causing damage to the tires.
Old 01-12-11, 09:19 AM
gizmo7718
Driver School Candidate

OP, looks like your pics are no longer working. Sucks cuz I'd love to see all the things you've done. From the comments it looks like this is an awesome thread.
Old 01-12-11, 01:51 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your final ML+ install. Looks like you went much deeper with the tear down then we did. We just took apart everything in front of the armrest but not the armrest itself.
Yeah, I drilled a hole in the back corner of the center console to fit the wires in and I needed it out of the car to do it right. I ordered the Apple cable but I had no idea it was being shipped from Hong Kong until after I got a tracking number. So that puts it at my doorstep in NC on Monday the soonest. This weekends a wash so I will try to get it in next weekend. I just hope Best Buy doesn't give me an issue for returning the cable so late.

The tires aren't my first ones that were sent back to Tire Rack for flat spots. I had the same issue on 2 Good Year tires for the wifes RX. One of the two that came back was boarderline warped too so I gave up. I have a slight vibration from that tire but I was blaming Good Year for the defect and delt with it. Now you have me thinking! I will keep you posted when I get the new ones installed this weekend.

Originally Posted by gizmo7718
OP, looks like your pics are no longer working. Sucks cuz I'd love to see all the things you've done. From the comments it looks like this is an awesome thread.
Gizmo, Photobucket just made me order the "pro account" and shut my pictures down because I exceeded the bandwith. They had all my photos so I had to pay to use them going further. What a way to get 25 bucks from me. Oh well, they are up now so enjoy!
Old 01-13-11, 12:02 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gizmo, Photobucket just made me order the "pro account" and shut my pictures down because I exceeded the bandwith. They had all my photos so I had to pay to use them going further. What a way to get 25 bucks from me. Oh well, they are up now so enjoy!
Wow that sucks you had to fork over $25, but I hope that it will be the last that you have to pay. I really loved the jack area in the back, but I don't know it doesn't look to good to me, I feel like I would bend something.
Old 01-13-11, 10:07 AM
gizmo7718
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmade22
Wow those sneaky bastards. I should probably check my account to see how close I am to the limit as well.
Anyhow, great job with the work you've done.
Old 01-20-11, 01:37 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been meaning to try these. Perhaps you can check it out and let us know. These are supposed to burn whiter than the OEM bulbs and provide a more powerful high beam.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght-bulbs.html
I had 2 pair show up today for the GS and SC. Will get some pics over the next day or two when I trim them and install.
Old 01-20-11, 01:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
I had 2 pair show up today for the GS and SC. Will get some pics over the next day or two when I trim them and install.
Great. Let me know. Is it possible to change the high beam bulb without removing the intake air filter?
Old 01-20-11, 01:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmade22
Why don't you just use flickr or picasa? Those services are free and when you hit the 300mb limit on flickr, just create a separate account. I have one flickr account for forum stuff, and another for personal. Never run out of space. Picasa offers a gb for free.
Old 01-20-11, 06:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Great. Let me know. Is it possible to change the high beam bulb without removing the intake air filter?
on my 430 it is a simple swap without removing any other parts. I've swapped the bulbs three times already in search of better high beams. Optimistic these will be the ones I stick with.

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......