GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 06:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I asked him about the high beams too. Apparently this kit is able to power the LED at both high beam and the reduced DRL wattage. This kit could be the holy grail to the DRL/high beam dilemma.
I looked it up on V-LEDs and that's not right. It just provides identical power in DRL mode and high beam mode. In either case, it can't be enough to function as an effective high beam.

I want to know how it works in high beam mode?
Old 12-31-10, 09:22 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Word I will rate this thread 10 out of 1-10 10 being the most awesome thread. Now you have to show me a link where i can get those darn pads for the windshield noise. I wen't to home depo with NO LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you do that for me, it will be a Christmas present for me!!!!!!!!
GS, here is your new years gift...go to a craft store...like Michaels. Take $3-$5 with you.

In the felt area, you will have a selection of different thicknesses. I like the thicker kind but YMMV.

Before stuffing this down the front between the glass and dash, I spray 3M silicone wet type lubricant 08877 in the space between the dash and glass. I try to aim for the areas I hear the squeaks come from. 85% noise has been reduced in the winter...98% in summer.

Good luck!! This is an awesome thread...thanks MMADE!

Last edited by MelYW; 01-01-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 11:46 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I looked it up on V-LEDs and that's not right. It just provides identical power in DRL mode and high beam mode. In either case, it can't be enough to function as an effective high beam.

I want to know how it works in high beam mode?
I guess I never looked into how the high beam would work. I just got home from Myrtle Beach and I took the wifes RX. The car hasen't been out of the garage since the install so I never really looked into this. I put the high beams on and noticed the lights come on but that was in my garage so I'm not sure of just how much light came out of it. I am not planning on driving the car till Monday so I will look into this and let you know. If it is a problem then I may have to go back to stock. I do need my high beams in a lot of the country side of this great state. Sorry for giving you the wrong info Chris!

Thanks to all the other guys who are liking this thread.
Old 01-01-11, 02:21 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you get vibration in your rear view mirror?
Old 01-01-11, 02:42 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
Sorry for giving you the wrong info Chris!
No problem John ... I was waiting 'til you had a chance to test before I ordered mine anyways.

Got my wheels aligned yesterday with a $59 coupon at Buffalo Tire. My first alignment since having the F-Sport springs installed about 5k miles ago. Toe was only slightly out of spec on three wheels, but man I could really tell the difference driving home. Well worth it just from the perspective of prolonging the tires.
Old 01-01-11, 02:52 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
How much were the rims alone without tires?
Being in the embroidery business and installing machines for many different companies, I get deals from time to time. I did some work on a single head in exchange for a set of MRR wheels. I looked them up online and they can be had for about 1200-1300 bucks. I bought the tires for a little over 1000.

**** To all the guys who are looking for TPMS sensors listen up! I bought four of them from Tire Rack and when I mounted the wheels to the car, I reset the TPMS system (button under our dash) and the sensors were connected. I never had to bring the car in to the dealer like all the other the threads I was reading. Saved me an hours labor at the dealer so they were worth the extra cost!

Originally Posted by worker
Do you get vibration in your rear view mirror?
When I got the car, I noticed the mirror shook a little so I tightened up the star screw that connects the mirror to the windshield and it went away. Resting the 9500i onto the top left corner helps keep it in check.

This LED daytime light setup is now pissing me off. I am pissed because I didn't do my homework before buying it. Now after you guys mentioned it to me, it makes sense. Why I thought it would work the same is beyond me. I am usually a little smarter than that so I blame myself. I wish V-Led would have said something when I ordered it as this can be a real issue for most.

Since it's raining and my car is clean, I will drive it tomorrow night and see what the output is. If it isn't going to work, I can always put the led bulbs in the RX 330 fogs or keep them for when my HID fogs blow out. Oh well. I hope it will be enough output but my magic 8 ball says "Outlook Not So Good."
Old 01-01-11, 05:41 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did tighten the screw but it didn't help. I gonna try to take it out sometime and put in some rubber thingy see if it helps.

sorry U didn't do your homework about the high beam thing. I did know about that and want to keep my high beam. When I see someone want to replace their DRL with LED I warn them about this giving up high beam. LED is not powerful like regular high beam bulb.

And FYI to everyone, when highbeam is ON or FLASH it forces the lowbeam to be ON and Foglight to be OFF. This means if you have HID fog light, don't flash highbeam while your HID fog is ON. And don't Flash when your HID low beam is Off.
Old 01-01-11, 05:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

**** To all the guys who are looking for TPMS sensors listen up! I bought four of them from Tire Rack and when I mounted the wheels to the car, I reset the TPMS system (button under our dash) and the sensors were connected. I never had to bring the car in to the dealer like all the other the threads I was reading. Saved me an hours labor at the dealer so they were worth the extra cost!
Not sure how the system knows the codes of the new sensors without programming the second set through the Lexus tech setup. You may not be getting an error if you store your factory wheels in the garage and only take short trips. Short trips and it resets this each time you pull back in the garage and it "sees" the original TPMS signals on your stock wheels. It takes the system some miles of driving (50?) before it throws the low tire warning. There are some more detailed threads on here about the sensors that may provide a more definitive answer.
Old 01-01-11, 06:16 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by twylie
Not sure how the system knows the codes of the new sensors without programming the second set through the Lexus tech setup. You may not be getting an error if you store your factory wheels in the garage and only take short trips. Short trips and it resets this each time you pull back in the garage and it "sees" the original TPMS signals on your stock wheels. It takes the system some miles of driving (50?) before it throws the low tire warning. There are some more detailed threads on here about the sensors that may provide a more definitive answer.

Well my 2011 is going to s*** if that's the case. I did go about 100 miles the other day and no issues and I did stop and shut the car off for a couple of days away from the garage. I will know on my next trip out come Monday. I asked the service advisor at the dealer and he did say I should be able to just reset it. Time will tell. Thanks for the heads up and I will let you know what happens!
Old 01-01-11, 07:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Well my 2011 is going to s*** if that's the case. I did go about 100 miles the other day and no issues and I did stop and shut the car off for a couple of days away from the garage. I will know on my next trip out come Monday. I asked the service advisor at the dealer and he did say I should be able to just reset it. Time will tell. Thanks for the heads up and I will let you know what happens!
Its easy to test what Twylie is saying. With the car parked in the garage,let the air out of one of your old tires and see if the tire pressure warning goes off. If not then it must be connected to the new sensors. If yes, then it's the old sensors.

I have found if I drop the psi to below 25 the warning will go off straight away.
Old 01-02-11, 09:25 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Well, I was wrong.....AGAIN! I did what Batman suggested and sure enough, the low pressure light came on. Oh Well. I did write all the sensor numbers down before I had the tires mounted so at least I did my homework on that. To think, I thought I had "magical sensors." I've got to stop taking my dope pills! Off to the dealer this week to have them calibrated.
Old 01-02-11, 04:12 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

The LED daytime setup is being taken out as of this week. I love the daytime look but the highbeam is needed here so oh well. I have an extra set of led bulbs for the wifes RX fogs. I have been reading up on the best light to replace the stock bulbs but have mixed reviews. I know most bulbs are going to be somewhat yellow using 50% of its power. Any suggestions or just stick with stock and deal with the yellow oem look?
Old 01-02-11, 05:56 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The LED daytime setup is being taken out as of this week. I love the daytime look but the highbeam is needed here so oh well. I have an extra set of led bulbs for the wifes RX fogs. I have been reading up on the best light to replace the stock bulbs but have mixed reviews. I know most bulbs are going to be somewhat yellow using 50% of its power. Any suggestions or just stick with stock and deal with the yellow oem look?
I tried the Ion Spark Putco bulbs (3800k?) and while they looked great at DRL level, they were too blue for my taste when on High Beam. I switched back to some SilverStar Ultras and found they provide better light for driving with high beams. Function over style for me as it's a driver.
Old 01-02-11, 06:09 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whlkev started a great thread on various lighting options here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...194-led-2.html

I tried several variations, and settled on a uniform 6000k (white) look on the lows, fogs and city light. Having had my DRL turned off, my city light effectively functions as my DRL now.
Old 01-02-11, 06:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I have been meaning to try these. Perhaps you can check it out and let us know. These are supposed to burn whiter than the OEM bulbs and provide a more powerful high beam.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght-bulbs.html

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......