GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bizarre electrical problem - car stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 07:27 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bizarre electrical problem - car stuck

My car is having a bizarre electrical problem.

I pulled my car out of the parking spot. Parked it for 10-15 minutes max while I applied leather conditioner to the seats. Attempted to restart the car and it won't start. I don't get any of the low battery signals - its more like the car is dead. Nothing happens. The voltage indicator suggests it still has 12V. The battery should have a strong charge since it has been driven a lot over the past week.

The car is stuck, obstructing the space next to mine.

What should I do? Is there a way to put the car into neutral when the shifter won't even move?
Old 10-31-10, 07:50 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Attempted to restart the car and it won't start. I don't get any of the low battery signals - its more like the car is dead. Nothing happens.
Does the starter still crank?

If it does not....jump start, or change the battery first
Old 10-31-10, 07:51 PM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as putting it in neutral I think you can insert the key (that pulls out of the fob) and pop the little black slotted thing next to the shifter up and then insert the key and you should be able to shift the car. It will explain this technque in the manual in more depth. Once you get it moved I would disconnect the battery for a little while then reconnect, kind of like rebooting your computer. After that, I don't know on these cars.
Old 10-31-10, 08:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I got AAA out and they were able to start the car by connecting up a backup battery. Drove it around then parked it again.

After I parked and locked it and walked away something bizarre happened. As I was switching off the car, the HID fogs started flashing at high speed almost like strobe lights, and then all the lights switched off as the courtesy light timer completed its cycle. I wonder if there is a fault with the HID fog circuit causing the problems.

Really weird, especially being Halloween. I'm leaving on a business trip for 10 days in the morning. Hope the car works when I get back. Then I will drop it off at the dealer for extensive testing and also get the valve spring recall done while its there.

Also FYI the battery in the car is only 2 weeks old.
Old 10-31-10, 08:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I parked the car. Switched off. All lights off, etc. Hour later got a low battery alert that it dropped below 11.5V.

Any thoughts? Could HID fogs malfunctioning cause this? I would have thought fogs cannot drain battery unless they are on.
Old 10-31-10, 11:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really weird, especially being Halloween.

that's what i was thinking.

your car is possessed.

maybe you messed something up when you installed your new battery. maybe something is shorting out. i dunno.

you CAN shift to neutral when your car won't start.
just turn the car on (press power button 2x, all dashboard lights on), without stepping on the brake.
then the shifter will unlock and you can shift to N and push your car so that you can jumpstart it with your other car.

Old 11-01-10, 02:59 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I parked the car. Switched off. All lights off, etc. Hour later got a low battery alert that it dropped below 11.5V.

Any thoughts? Could HID fogs malfunctioning cause this? I would have thought fogs cannot drain battery unless they are on.
hmmm weird. it could just be time for a new battery.

let me ask a question. when you installed the hid fogs, where did you place your ballast at?
Old 11-01-10, 06:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
hmmm weird. it could just be time for a new battery.

let me ask a question. when you installed the hid fogs, where did you place your ballast at?
I attached ballast to side of air intake inside the bumper.

Battery is brand-new. Was installed 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-01-10, 08:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

up in the engine bay? if so, id try removing it from the bay and brining it down into the bumper itself. depending on what kit you have, ive seen a lot of people posting in the 2IS forum saying their ballast were causing a lot of problems went in the engine bay. mainly the frequencies coming off the ballast to other electrical components in the bay.
Old 11-01-10, 10:56 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good thing is I've never heard of HID ballasts from xenondepot causing any problems for anybody. I feel triple safe in that I not only bought from xenondepot, but I also ponied up and got the more expensive of their two kits and installed it down in my bumper away from all of the other electronic jazz.
Old 11-01-10, 11:37 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Good thing is I've never heard of HID ballasts from xenondepot causing any problems for anybody. I feel triple safe in that I not only bought from xenondepot, but I also ponied up and got the more expensive of their two kits and installed it down in my bumper away from all of the other electronic jazz.
Mine is in bumper too. It's mounted to the duct that goes from the brake intake next to the fog lights, channeling air to the brakes.