GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anti-freeze coolant is always low in reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 06:41 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
26 bucks a gallon.

Full line means you shouldn't top off the coolant above the full mark when the engine is cold. Anywhere above that could cause an overflow when the engine is hot.
Go buy a gallon from Toyota and top it off to the full mark when the engine is cold.
Drive a car a few days and check the level again (when the engine is cold). If the level goes below where you topped it last, then you have a leak somewhere.
Jeez. I think for now I'll just take my SA up on his offer to top it up for me. I'll ask about the hissing cap while I'm there, from my research it shouldn't be letting any air out. I looked it up and a new cap is something like $13 so I don't suspect they're going to make a big deal out of replacing it.
Old 02-11-11, 04:49 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GS430 and was worried about it for a while. Even though it is not on max level, it is a “sort of” a new default max level for us. I used to top it off every time I would see it but it would spitted out all extra fluid anyway. I’m sure that the extra fluid is being released from the top as I need to scrape off a mountain of pink “snow” from the top of reservoir after each top off. Also, driving on a hot day in the mountains was my primary suspect of the issue but it is not true; normal winter driving brings me to the same level again. Go figure. As long as there is some fluid in there, you should be OK. I still would like to hear an official Lex opinion on the subject though…
Old 02-12-11, 09:33 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Brought the car in to take my SA up on his offer to top it up. They didn't have time, since I wasn't actually booked in, to really investigate anything but just filled it up and told me to keep an eye on it and they can investigate more if it drops between now and when I take it in for the fuel sensor tightening.

They took it in engine hot, and filled it up a finger or two past the "full" line. The SA sounded pretty sure that the full line is supposed to be the "hot" full and not a "cold" full. SA seems to think that the sound of pressure leaving slightly around the expansion tank cap is normal as well, but I'm not so sure.

Bottom line I guess is that it doesn't matter as long as it's somewhere between those two lines at all times. Now that there's more in there, I'll be able to easily gauge if it's disappearing somewhere or not over the next couple of months at least.

The dealership gets a gold star for taking it in just as a drop in and getting it topped up and back in my hands no charge in less than 5 minutes even though they were extremely busy.
Old 02-12-11, 05:19 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Brought the car in to take my SA up on his offer to top it up. They didn't have time, since I wasn't actually booked in, to really investigate anything but just filled it up and told me to keep an eye on it and they can investigate more if it drops between now and when I take it in for the fuel sensor tightening.

They took it in engine hot, and filled it up a finger or two past the "full" line. The SA sounded pretty sure that the full line is supposed to be the "hot" full and not a "cold" full. SA seems to think that the sound of pressure leaving slightly around the expansion tank cap is normal as well, but I'm not so sure.

Bottom line I guess is that it doesn't matter as long as it's somewhere between those two lines at all times. Now that there's more in there, I'll be able to easily gauge if it's disappearing somewhere or not over the next couple of months at least.

The dealership gets a gold star for taking it in just as a drop in and getting it topped up and back in my hands no charge in less than 5 minutes even though they were extremely busy.
When you refill the reservoir tank, the engine should be cold. Fill anywhere between 1/2 full & full. I want to fill to the full mark so I know if my car has a coolant leak or not. There is still plenty of room in the reservoir tank for the coolant to expand from the radiator.
The other day I checked the level in my car's resevoir tank right after I got home from work. It was about 5/16 inch above the full mark.

Some has a same thought like mine.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2124959AAFjAb0
Old 02-12-11, 05:34 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300.ru
I have a GS430 and was worried about it for a while. Even though it is not on max level, it is a “sort of” a new default max level for us. I used to top it off every time I would see it but it would spitted out all extra fluid anyway. I’m sure that the extra fluid is being released from the top as I need to scrape off a mountain of pink “snow” from the top of reservoir after each top off. Also, driving on a hot day in the mountains was my primary suspect of the issue but it is not true; normal winter driving brings me to the same level again. Go figure. As long as there is some fluid in there, you should be OK. I still would like to hear an official Lex opinion on the subject though…
The tubing connected to the reservoir cap could be loose. I had the same problem with my Accord. I wrapped around with a cable tie. No more spill.
Old 06-10-16, 01:33 PM
Jkuutys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about back pressure? My car is acting up. Replaced my thermo cause I was over heating. Now it's not overheating but constantly getting back pressure. And overflowing from that reservoir. The tank will completely drain, still not over heating?
Old 06-10-16, 04:59 PM
cloud777x
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the water pump area for leaks too.
Old 06-11-16, 04:44 PM
Jkuutys
Driver School Candidate

Fixed the problem.
Old 06-14-16, 04:16 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

How did you fix it?
Old 06-14-16, 10:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

If the loss is due to evaporation only then you shouldn't be adding coolant but distilled water. Or else the concentration of coolant is too high.
Old 03-27-17, 08:46 PM
bgpilot34
Driver School Candidate

Default How did you fix it

How did you fix it???? I'm having the same issue.
Old 03-30-17, 01:06 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would replace the radiator cap with an OEM, not a wallet buster.
Is the "smoke" white like steam, or darker color and smell as unburned fuel?
Old 10-26-21, 03:34 AM
VradusGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Low coolant level

Originally Posted by Jkuutys
How about back pressure? My car is acting up. Replaced my thermo cause I was over heating. Now it's not overheating but constantly getting back pressure. And overflowing from that reservoir. The tank will completely drain, still not over heating?
dear, how did you solve problem with low coolant level, i have a similar problem, thanks in advance
Old 10-26-21, 04:06 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by VradusGS
dear, how did you solve problem with low coolant level, i have a similar problem, thanks in advance
Most likely bad water pump, common problem as they last 90-100k miles. Good thing there cheap, you can buy aisin brand (oem rebrand) for $80-90 off rockauto.com and takes about 2 hours to install. If you take a look behind the water pump pulley you should see pink slime, thats your coolant. If theres slime behind the water pump pulley then for sure the pump is going bad. Its also possible you are leaking out of the radiator, you should be able to see it as it drys pinkish powder.
The following users liked this post:
VradusGS (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 05:02 AM
VradusGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Most likely bad water pump, common problem as they last 90-100k miles. Good thing there cheap, you can buy aisin brand (oem rebrand) for $80-90 off rockauto.com and takes about 2 hours to install. If you take a look behind the water pump pulley you should see pink slime, thats your coolant. If theres slime behind the water pump pulley then for sure the pump is going bad. Its also possible you are leaking out of the radiator, you should be able to see it as it drys pinkish powder.

ok, i add for second time coolant, and i will keep watching what is going on, if problem repeats, i will chack whater pump, till now i didnt find any leaks, thank you for fast answer

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze coolant is always low in reservoir