GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

new paint job for 07 Lex GS

Old 11-17-10, 08:35 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808 GS
Looks like a nice job. I'm wondering, since you painted the car with the doors on, how is the overspray edge from the exterior to the jambs, particularly the area from the quarter panel to the pillars. Is it noticeable or does it look like a factory job?
There are not overspray edges we sprayed the jambs first then tape them on the outside edge when we sprayed the outside. I will take photos today and post later to show you.
Old 11-17-10, 08:56 AM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love your gs now it's coming nicely bro.
Old 11-17-10, 06:56 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
There are not overspray edges we sprayed the jambs first then tape them on the outside edge when we sprayed the outside. I will take photos today and post later to show you.
That's what I mean. Since you sprayed the jambs first, you had to tape them when you painted the outside. Usually, there is a slight edge when doing that. Most times, if possible I like to paint the car with the doors off. That way I do the outside quarter panel and trunk/door jambs all at once so no tape edges.

I'd love to see more pics, though. Looks like an overall clean job.
Old 11-17-10, 06:59 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

That's what I mean. Since you sprayed the jambs first, you had to tape them when you painted the outside. Usually, there is a slight edge when doing that. Most times, if possible I like to paint the car with the doors off. That way I do the outside quarter panel and trunk/door jambs all at once so no tape edges.

I'd love to see more pics, though. Looks like an overall clean job.
The door were painted off the car and then put back on to spray the outside.
Attached Thumbnails new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0553.jpg  
Old 11-17-10, 07:19 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

now . when visiting publix. we will be parking wayyyyyy back there. get ready for some long walks.lol. i remember when i got my car candied. in about one month i literally stood and watched a car pull up next to mine and open the door and hit my car. i walked over to find a nice piece chipped out.smh.
Old 11-17-10, 08:41 PM
808 GS
Rookie

The door were painted off the car and then put back on to spray the outside.
Looks good.
I guess I'm not explaining it properly. Look at the area about 1/2" into the jambs at the quarter panel and all the way along the pillar. The part that got masked off when you painted the outside. That's the part I'm curious about. Anywhere you mask or tape, there will be a break edge, usually. Just curious to know how that part came out.

As an example this is a car I did recently. We painted all parts separately to eliminate any tape edges from masking.
Old 11-17-10, 08:46 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
now . when visiting publix. we will be parking wayyyyyy back there. get ready for some long walks.lol. i remember when i got my car candied. in about one month i literally stood and watched a car pull up next to mine and open the door and hit my car. i walked over to find a nice piece chipped out.smh.
No need to park so far away it just make people want to park next to your car anyways. I know it suck but unless I want it to jsut sit in the garage and never drive it them it going to get marks no matter what I do. I have a a couple cars that jsut sat in the garage and never drove them unless there was a show or I was'nt going to park it anywhere. I now reget it since I spent all of that money and never really was able to enjoy all the money and hard work I put in to them. sorry this car is getting driven everyday anywhere lol
Old 11-17-10, 08:49 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Looks good.
I guess I'm not explaining it properly. Look at the area about 1/2" into the jambs at the quarter panel and all the way along the pillar. The part that got masked off when you painted the outside. That's the part I'm curious about. Anywhere you mask or tape, there will be a break edge, usually. Just curious to know how that part came out.

As an example this is a car I did recently. We painted all parts separately to eliminate any tape edges from masking.
Yes but the one thing I can point out is the back windows are still in I would have taken them out to do it the way I wanted. I know what you are asking and we did not have any tape lines at the break edge since it was were the door joint seem meets the outer to the inner.plus you left the hinges for the rear hatch on I would have taken them off also for what I glanced at, just pointing that out. I do understand that you are talking about the fold in the body steems. I will take photos tomorrow of door and trunk jambs to show you if they have not been buffed yet .

Last edited by swtjlsy; 11-17-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 08:57 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Looks good.

were is your shop located at????
Old 11-17-10, 10:02 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Yes but the one thing I can point out is the back windows are still in I would have taken them out to do it the way I wanted. I know what you are asking and we did not have any tape lines at the break edge since it was were the door joint seem meets the outer to the inner.plus you left the hinges for the rear hatch on I would have taken them off also for what I glanced at, just pointing that out. I do understand that you are talking about the fold in the body steems. I will take photos tomorrow of door and trunk jambs to show you if they have not been buffed yet .
Awesome! I take it that you're the owner of the shop/painter. Yes, more pics the better. I'm always intrigued by others paint jobs and I like to see the techniques used and the over all outcome, etc.

BTW, the parts you pointed out were removed for painting. We didn't remove the windshield, though. 3M trim lifting tape was used on the top windshield molding. Saved the customer the time and expense of r&r of the windshield with the same end result. These pics are of the car starting to be reassembled. They're the only ones I took.

were is your shop located at????
It's not my shop. Just had the privilege of using the facility. It's located in Wailuku, Hawaii.

Anyway, enough of the thread jack. Let's see more pics!
Old 11-19-10, 03:32 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Awesome! I take it that you're the owner of the shop/painter. Yes, more pics the better. I'm always intrigued by others paint jobs and I like to see the techniques used and the over all outcome, etc.

BTW, the parts you pointed out were removed for painting. We didn't remove the windshield, though. 3M trim lifting tape was used on the top windshield molding. Saved the customer the time and expense of r&r of the windshield with the same end result. These pics are of the car starting to be reassembled. They're the only ones I took.

It's not my shop. Just had the privilege of using the facility. It's located in Wailuku, Hawaii.

Anyway, enough of the thread jack. Let's see more pics!
Here my pictures of where the lines should be but are not up close.
Attached Thumbnails new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0613.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0612.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0611.jpg  
Old 11-20-10, 09:31 AM
808 GS
Rookie

Looks good. Keep em coming.
Old 12-09-10, 02:26 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Default paint photos

so my baby finally is home for good after the paint shop then the lexus dealer. let me know what you guys think of the new color.
Attached Thumbnails new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0647.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0648.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0649.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0650.jpg   new paint job for 07 Lex GS-img_0651.jpg  

Old 12-09-10, 02:33 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry bro, but in my opinion that color looks absolutely horrible on a luxury car such as the GS. No hard feeling I hope!
Old 12-09-10, 02:54 PM
[0350]
Pole Position

I think you used to much green, should of kept the headlight surrounds chrome and the strip that runs along the door grey, also that grill is just so ricey.

I think the Bright green 3gs in Japan pulls off this colour nicely because he is running deep dish black rims with a full bumper replacment kit and it absolutely decked on the floor, whilst yours is the opposite.

The paint job quality looks excellent though, at least you had the guts to attempt something different state side though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new paint job for 07 Lex GS