GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Valve Springs Replaced - Now thick white smoke clouds and nasty smell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 07:35 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry Valve Springs Replaced - Official Thread of CHECK EVERYTHING YOURSELF

Hey guys, I recently wrote that I had my valve springs replaced and my car came back with one of the rims completely trashed.

I had to take the car out for a trip for the first time today since they returned the car and I can't believe it, but now when I put the pedal to the metal I leave behind huge clouds of smoke which keep going until I let off the gas.

My exhaust tips have turned a rusty orange colour and seem to have a white film on the inside. I smelled the exhaust at idle, carefully by wafting it up to my face and I could barely stand the smell it's an EXTREMELY strong sour/toxic odor that almost seemed to burn my nose.

So what's the deal here, does it sound like they gave it back to me with the head gasket leaking? It hasn't been driven far enough for any kind of detectable coolant loss or anything yet I don't think.

I pulled over and called the dealership as soon as I noticed the clouds and they told me to drive it for a few days like that because "it might be normal, since that procedure loosens up carbon deposits". Well, it's already been driven around 40 km when the dealer dropped it off and now another 40 km today and the problem didn't just go away and I fail to see how carbon deposits can cause such foul odor and oranging of the exhaust tips so fast?

Any ideas? I think I might pester them more and bring it in before they close today and take a loaner and insist that they check it out before my cat gets ruined. At this rate, I am going to want need exhaust tips if they can't polish them out too along with my new wheel.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-29-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-24-10, 08:35 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's odd.

my vehicle came back post valve replacement without any plumes of smoke produced either from idle, or full throttle.

can you check your invoice, and report back how many miles did the dealer test driven your car post valve replacement....

....and stop sniffing off exhaust fumes---Carbon Monoxide aint no joke.
Old 07-24-10, 08:51 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

oh man, what color is your car ? That bumper does not look good
Old 07-24-10, 09:02 AM
enigmaos
Driver

That doesn't look good at all - exhaust, bumper, and SMOKE... Something is not right.
Old 07-24-10, 09:07 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
oh man, what color is your car ? That bumper does not look good
The car is black, the part you see in the picture is actually the black plastic shroud on the underside. Acually no, that white film is actually all over the painted part of the bumper too.

Been doing some reading and apparently one cause of this is VALVE SEALS allowing oil to leak and get burned. :| Makes sense to me. I need to drive the car again tonight, hopefully this problem doesn't cause any other issues that aren't so easy to find... and I hope all of this residue and garbage will clean/polish off.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-24-10 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-24-10, 11:23 AM
Mike450h
Driver

The smell you describe would indicate water in the cylinder, Also the orange exhaust and white smoke that is not smelling like burnt oil.
Old 07-24-10, 12:18 PM
BinaryJay

I insisted that they take the car today, so I just dropped it off. The orangy residue really built up on the inside of the exhaust pipe on the way over. They say they are going to look at it on Monday so I guess I'll see what happens.

Unfortunately the only thing they had to give me on short notice as a loaner was a hyundai elantra (owner of the dealership also owns a neighboring hyundai, toyota and acura)... yuck, it's like driving a rickety lawnmower. Hopefully the next time I see the car they will have rebuilt the thing again, properly, maybe even thrown in a top engine clean for good measure, cleaned and polished the exhaust and bumper and replaced my rashed wheel.

After all of this, on top of the bad wheel bearing, this car has officially been in the shop more than any other car I've ever owned and I've only been driving it for less than a year now! I hope I get a break after all of this.
Old 07-24-10, 03:45 PM
atc1
Driver

The white smoke could be the result of coolant burning in the cylinder. This is common when the head gasket is blown.
Old 07-24-10, 05:31 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Jay ... that looks great! Now I know what my exhaust and bumper will look like in 150 years.

These issues are dealer problems though ... can't you go to the other dealership in town?
Old 07-24-10, 05:33 PM
okc329
Driver School Candidate

Default I agree ...

you have a coolant leak into one or more cylinders. Get it back to the dealer on a truck.
Old 07-24-10, 06:18 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by okc329
you have a coolant leak into one or more cylinders. Get it back to the dealer on a truck.
Why would it only produce smoke when revving high and not when cruising then, though? I guess anything valve related (that they messed up replacing valve springs) would produce more symptoms the more times the valves open and close.

Anyway it's already with them, though not on a truck... I drove it in, hell, they wanted me to drive it like this for 3 or 4 days.
Old 07-24-10, 06:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
After all of this, on top of the bad wheel bearing, this car has officially been in the shop more than any other car I've ever owned and I've only been driving it for less than a year now! I hope I get a break after all of this.

oh you will get a break......... when you sell it and buy the new bmw 5 series.
Old 07-24-10, 07:55 PM
Mike450h
Driver

[QUOTE=BinaryJay;5665807]Why would it only produce smoke when revving high and not when cruising then, though? I guess anything valve related (that they messed up replacing valve springs) would produce more symptoms the more times the valves open and close.

The reason this is only happening when under acceleration is that is when your water pressure is at its highest.....and that is when water would pour into your cylinders.
Old 07-24-10, 08:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
oh you will get a break......... when you sell it and buy the new bmw 5 series.
I want a 5-series too. Although consumer reports had a bad experience and had to send the test car back to the dealership on a flat bed. Plus BMW Assist refused to tow it. They really ripped BMW.

Jay - I can't believe they told you to keep driving it for a few days. Did you send them a pic? I would send it back on a flat bed in case driving it causes more damage.
Old 07-24-10, 08:50 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

not good, keep us posted.

havent seen the 5 series in person...pictures show that they are clearly moving from the chris bangle era.

Too bad IMO as the bangle style 5 series was one of the most beautifully designed beamers I've seen.

Interior sucks, however. Maybe great if you are a robot.

Quick Reply: Valve Springs Replaced - Now thick white smoke clouds and nasty smell!