GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Valve Springs Replaced - Now thick white smoke clouds and nasty smell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 03:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like all good news. They probably needed 3 days to get the replacement wheel. I don't think the GS Hybrid wheel is something that would normally be in stock since it is one of the lowest volume wheels they sell. My dealer normally only carries F-Sport, IS, RX and LS wheels in stock. Others are special order.
Old 07-28-10, 04:42 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If there was enough coolant going out the back to condense into an orange sludge shouldn't I be worried about all of my exhaust components downstream ... like my brand new O2 sensors, or catalytic converter or will that crap all burn away safely eventually after the problem is corrected?
That is true, it would build up on your exhaust components, however i wouldn't think the time you ran it would be enough to do any major damage (what a week or so tops?). After you run the car for a bit, it would probably burn what residue off.

On a side note, when running your car in the winter, if you do not drive long distances, you do not allow the condensation created from the cold exhaust pipes and warm exhaust to fully evaporate. This leads to rusting of the exhaust pipe and muffler. So water does build up in your exhaust, just not with that added orange residue factor.
Old 07-28-10, 05:00 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Jay, what dealer did you go to? so even the 06 have valve spring problems?
Old 07-28-10, 05:42 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up the car. Wheel is good now, they told me their driver will be working it off. I felt bad for the guy for a second until I reminded myself that it wasn't my fault that it happened. Drove it hard home and there wasn't any more smoke and the exhaust tips were still clean (they are clean but now they need a good polishing as they are dulled).

So, whatever it was, it seems alright now. Bright side is that I don't think the car has ever run smoother than it did tonight but the proof will come over the next couple of months. I find it odd that overfilled oil could have suddenly caused the smoking out (they changed the oil last months ago). They insisted that part of the problem was that they used some kind of cleaner as part of the valve spring job but I don't know, it's not part of the US TSB document I have access to and there's no mention of it on my service invoice.

There is a TSB for the 06 valve springs (that came out in 08) but it isn't a recall. Don't know if the cause is the same on 06 and they just didn't build enough of them to warrant recalling or if it's a different issue altogether.

It was nice of them to detail the car either to get rid of all of the residue on the rear end from the smoking or as a courtesy for the inconvenience of messing a wheel up. Car looked good when I picked it up but it was raining so, oh well!
Old 07-28-10, 06:16 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Glad it all worked out.
Old 07-28-10, 07:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Good stuff. I think it's terrific that the dealer is making the employee work off the cost the wheels. There is no better incentive to keep your employees at their best than financial incentives.
Old 07-28-10, 07:12 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by batman75
That sounds like all good news. They probably needed 3 days to get the replacement wheel. I don't think the GS Hybrid wheel is something that would normally be in stock since it is one of the lowest volume wheels they sell. My dealer normally only carries F-Sport, IS, RX and LS wheels in stock. Others are special order.
Actually the wheels are the ISP Mode wheels from the optional IS line. They did have them in stock as they told me some story about getting the box mixed up because the box it was in got wet when the storage shed sprung a leak.

So, they spent three days doing something and waiting for wheels wasn't one of those things. I guess it will remain a mystery. End result was good, correction of the wheel problem was great, detailing the car to clean all of the garbage off of it was nice.

Since they came through on everything for me I don't mind plugging them now (I didn't want to post their name while the issue was still up in the air and give anybody any bad impressions). The dealership I use is Northwest Lexus. They are pretty far out (They are in Brampton, a suburb near Toronto and I live in Downtown Toronto), but I like to give my car to them because out of all the dealership's service people I've ever spoken to they have been the only ones to seem to actually want to help me. Because they're not very convenient to me, that's why I normally let them pick up the car.
Old 07-28-10, 08:07 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

So, whatever it was, it seems alright now. Bright side is that I don't think the car has ever run smoother than it did tonight but the proof will come over the next couple of months. I find it odd that overfilled oil could have suddenly caused the smoking out (they changed the oil last months ago). They insisted that part of the problem was that they used some kind of cleaner as part of the valve spring job but I don't know, ......!
Jay,

did you see my first response on your thread (this thread)??...i was asking you the total mileage of the test drive done by the dealer post valve spring install.....Typically after a valve job of this nature, the engine will/may smoke for a couple miles because it is burning off excess lubricants.

my dealer ran the car for a total of 15miles post valve spring replacement.

you need to chill bro
Old 07-28-10, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ice350
I also read that BMW changed the steering on this 5 to more of an electronically assisted set up....more like Lexus. It no longer has that BMW feel. Since I don't like the plain Jane looks, everything negative that's added on makes it that much longer before we give in and start liking it. Like we do with every BMW.

As for the topic, I was afraid to take mine in for this repair thinking they might screw something up. The JMLexus techs have been pretty good over the years but I get nervous when the enhine is opened.
I really hope the issues are resolved on this one. That will make me feel better about doing it.
Regg, I just drove the 535, 550, 535 GT (some again) and I agree. BMW is turning much heavier and softer but it is still good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-is-350-a.html
Old 07-28-10, 08:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Regg, I just drove the 535, 550, 535 GT (some again) and I agree. BMW is turning much heavier and softer but it is still good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-is-350-a.html
Mike,

One thing I always found interesting is that the E60 550i pulled 0.9G on the skidpad which was best in class equal with the Lexus GS460. All the others were well below in lateral traction, largely due to weight. I found this surprising because many thought the Infiniti and Audi were better handling cars, but when you look at the numbers the GS was there with the 5er.

I don't know where the F10 stands, but in my test drive of the F10 550i with the dynamic handling package set to Sport Plus, this car cornered way better than my GS460 (which ought to do better than the one in C&Ds test because I'm running PS2s instead of the EL42 POS stock tire).
Old 07-28-10, 08:49 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by spine911
Jay,

did you see my first response on your thread (this thread)??...i was asking you the total mileage of the test drive done by the dealer post valve spring install.....Typically after a valve job of this nature, the engine will/may smoke for a couple miles because it is burning off excess lubricants.

my dealer ran the car for a total of 15miles post valve spring replacement.

you need to chill bro
I didn't think to compare the mileage before and after dropping off the car, but it was driven around 80km after the repair (distance from dealership to my place, to airport and back - when I found the problem, plus distance from home back to dealership) and still blowing plumes of smoke by the time I got it back to them. That's a good 50 miles (plus whatever test drive distance they may have done).

Car didn't smoke when cruising, only when driving it hard when getting close to redline before shifting is when it would start billowing. So, I dunno, I suppose it's possible it was burning off excess stuff but to do it for 50 miles seems like a lot of distance. Shrug.
Old 07-28-10, 09:05 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

^^glad everything worked out with your TAS case.

2 things you will notice post valve spring update:

- car will smoother

- less valve "tapping" sound (a tad quieter)

......got some MORE interesting revelation later---this IS the fun part.

BTW, PM me the valve spring part #.
Old 07-28-10, 09:21 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by spine911
^^glad everything worked out with your TAS case.

2 things you will notice post valve spring update:

- car will smoother

- less valve "tapping" sound (a tad quieter)

......got some MORE interesting revelation later---this IS the fun part.

BTW, PM me the valve spring part #.
I think I had the part numbers earlier in the thread but the new spring part number is 90501-30030.

Yes, I noticed the car is smoother and quieter. I could always hear it when stopped before but it was much quieter, almost like it wasn't running now.

What is the more interesting revelation???
Old 07-28-10, 10:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I had the part numbers earlier in the thread but the new spring part number is 90501-30030.

Yes, I noticed the car is smoother and quieter. I could always hear it when stopped before but it was much quieter, almost like it wasn't running now.I am happy you're car is bak on its feet and running good.

What is the more interesting revelation???
Smoother n quiter makes me anxious to get it done.
Old 07-29-10, 06:27 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone got any letters or calls yet ? I'm still waiting here, thinking maybe I should just visit the dealer and ask......

Quick Reply: Valve Springs Replaced - Now thick white smoke clouds and nasty smell!