GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Getting rid of my gs

Old 07-03-10, 07:45 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold my car at Carmax for $14k after advertising everywhere asking for $13k. 2 days later I saw my car appear on carmax website for $18k and within a day it was gone from their website (hope it's new owner will be just as good to it as I was). It was in perfect condition, only the high mileage (3 years and 80K miles, it was my every day car).
Old 07-03-10, 08:50 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gave my gs back to bayridge with 14.500 miles because i couldn't stand the monthly payments. it was really hard but my next whip will still be the gs. i don't like any of these cars but lexus ride...
Old 07-04-10, 09:13 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How were you able to do that gs360on22s? They just excepted it from you?
Old 07-05-10, 12:13 AM
RydinRuff
Rookie

i strongly despise bay ridge lexus. I don't care if theres a nice lounge that lexus owners can feel important while watching the news on the 50 inch LCD TV but i received ZERO customer satisfaction.

I have the platinum warranty and anytime I came there they acted as though they were doing me a FAVOR by taking my car to analyze the problems im having.
Old 07-06-10, 12:46 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am also looking into a new Jeep.

Originally Posted by bozer
Color is black. Navigation is there. Only thing i don't have is mark levinson.

I test drove the jeep yesterday. I'm getting the Overland version today. Fully loaded, has more cool tech then the GS and my payments will end up being less.I'm just so fed up with the dealership and I dont want to bring my Lexus in to try to get it fixed anymore. Absolutely beautiful car, and I'm sure I will miss it, but its time to move on when everytime you drive the car you end up being mad at it. Plus I have a kid on the way now, so for now perhaps its best to get an SUV like every other american, lol.

Just hope the Jeep doesn't end up having rattles too, I know its certainly possible. As of yesterday my Lexus started having the right side windshield squeaking again. Just needs some felt in there I'm sure but I'm so sick of having to even think about that. Also, last time I brought my Lexus in, it came back with no cup holder in it. My horrible guy at Lexus said he'd send me it and I've asked him 3 times now and it still hasn't shown up. Just really terrible service at Bay Ridge Lexus.
Lexus trade-in value:
I pretty much have the same ride and have been offered just a little under $30k.

My 2011 Jeep GC review:
- Huge blind spot because of side mirror and front windshield side column; I almost hit the median making a left turn.
- You must have the stereo turned on to use navigation – that sucks!
- Back-up camera sucks (small screen and blurry), and side mirrors don’t tilt down when in reverse.
- The seat ventilators rock!
- The 18’s look good, but the 20’s are worth every penny.
- The V8 is enough, but could be more, and I wouldn’t even consider the V6.
- The ride is cushy even without the air-ride.
- The second row leg room is impressive.
- The Limited can easily become just as expensive as or more expensive than the Overland if you are trying to avoid the Overland embroidered seats with Edge Piping; the bundles tend to be cheaper than piecing everything out.
- First year of a new model may have several problems – prepare yourself.
- It only has a 5 year warranty.
- Service – have you found a Jeep dealership that offers loaners?
Old 07-07-10, 08:24 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

You make some good points on the Cherokee – here is what I think (I test drove it)

- Huge blind spot because of side mirror and front windshield side column (they have some sort of assist feature that will blink in the mirrors when something is close in blind spot)
- You must have the stereo turned on to use navigation – that sucks! (that’s weird. I didn’t get to check out the navigation at all, figured it has to be better then the lexus nav)
- Back-up camera sucks (small screen and blurry), and side mirrors don’t tilt down when in reverse. (didn’t get to see that either)
- The seat ventilators rock! (didn’t try those, I always thought that was useless on the GS)
- The 18’s look good, but the 20’s are worth every penny. (20’s indeed)
- The V8 is enough, but could be more, and I wouldn’t even consider the V6. (I thought the V6 was more then fine. I originally wanted the hemi. You can get the V6, use regular gas and save money)
- The ride is cushy even without the air-ride. (ride seemed like a car to me, almost like the GS even. Nice n smooth)
- The second row leg room is impressive.(yes)
- The Limited can easily become just as expensive as or more expensive than the Overland if you are trying to avoid the Overland embroidered seats with Edge Piping; the bundles tend to be cheaper than piecing everything out. (I am going for the Overland, fully loaded and my payments end up less then the GS)
- First year of a new model may have several problems – prepare yourself.(Yep. I’m scared of this)
- It only has a 5 year warranty.(didn’t know that. What is the GS warranty I wonder)
- Service – have you found a Jeep dealership that offers loaners? (my dealership never gave me loaners either. This one is at least where I live)
Old 07-07-10, 10:10 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Bozer, if you could get your rattles taken care of, having the GS with a kid isn't that bad. I find it easier to have a lower car to pull a kid in and out of. Especially if you have the infant car seat like mine, which the seat clicks into a base.
Old 07-07-10, 11:11 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

They didnt have the edition I wanted of the Cherokee, so I will be stuck with the GS for a while now anyway. If the dude who said he knows someone who can fix my rattles could respond to my private message, I might just stick with the GS.

I really love the car , just those damn rattles.

What is weird that I've noticed, it goes away at night time. Then when the sun is back, you can hear it again. I think the sun is having an effect. Just like in winter, when its really cold it comes back. If the dash is too hot, or too cold, rattle rattle rattle
Old 07-07-10, 12:02 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
If the dash is too hot, or too cold, rattle rattle rattle
That's exactly my experience too. Definitely hearing it this week.
Old 07-07-10, 05:38 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3GS404
Man it's sad to hear 'bout somebody wanna trade their Lexus_GS in for a Jeep..
I think I would have to go new 4runner or Sequoia if an SUV was my target but not a Jeep. I don't want to slam American cars just to do so but I don't think they really have anything to bring to the game to make it a long term purchase.
Old 07-07-10, 06:04 PM
Kendrick07
Rookie

just don't get an E46 BMW because my 04 M3 was a rattle nightmare!
Old 07-07-10, 10:35 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Jeep vs GS??? that's a joke to me, personally. May be gs wasn't your car in the first place, sorry. Aside of money, yeah, yeah big money(?) - fixing noises from navigation unit is the easiest part. and yes, I did it myself. Accept realities... nothing is perfect.
Old 07-08-10, 12:45 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bye bozer. Best luck for your next car.
Old 07-08-10, 09:10 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Bozer, hope you are able to get those rattles fixed...lets us know what they do that is such a sure fix.

If it is an SUV you are considering, I'd look at a Highlander. No, not comparable to the GS, but a vehicle that is reliable and looks decent.

HLander interior is a B at best but to each their own. Toyota is hurting for business and may be willing to deal.

As you have read from these posts, Jeeps are notorious for reliability issues....so save yourself the frustration.

G Luck.
Old 07-10-10, 03:57 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rld14
OK I'm at work today...

Hope this helps, before you give up on the car, I know of a tech who can absolutely fix the rattles.
I have had mine in 4 times for the rattle fix and they fix it everytime; for about 4-6 months until winter comes. It is currently fixed now, we'll see what happens this December.

If you know a tech that can absolutely fix the rattles, why do think Lexus could not find anyone to fix them at the factory for the last 2-3 years? Lexus knows about the problem and can't seem to get it done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting rid of my gs