GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which connection would you prefer Integrating your iPhone/iPod to your car stereo?
Wired Digital
50.00%
Wired RCA
16.67%
A2DP (Bluetooth)
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone 4/3GS/iPod Touch - streaming over A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) directly to ML

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 03:50 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up !!! iPhone 4/3GS/iPod - Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) directly to ML !!!

I started replying to some posts which people found it usefull, so I decided to go little more indepdth.

I have an iPhone 4.0 and my goal is to stream music, radio, audio books, iTunes-U etc. to my 3rd Generation (2007) GS450h ML (5th Gen NAV.) I prefer A2DP for haste free, out of pocket media streaming, and wired would be nice as well at times to be able to charge the device, use a cradle for streaming radio, NAV – traffic info, etc.

I have used the A2DP feature with loaner 2010 HS250h, and that was an awesome, hassle free, works on the fly, the only down side to it doesn’t transfer the control to Car Stereo.
My 2007 GS doesn’t have the A2DP feature, nor the AUX port, so here I’m.

Currently I’m researching all available products, and looking for factual inputs on “Sound Quality”, “Additional Devices” – which would do the same or better, Pros and Cons...

So far I’m narrowing down to the Music/Audio device best suited for me – MediaBridge MB1500-Toyota, and that may change with valid inputs.

I've done some extensive research on this topic and I can say that VAIS, DICE and Scosche are products that can get you there. As with most products, you get what you pay for, and it comes down to Price, Sound Quality, Convenience.

VAIS - has some great products!!
PROS: Video or Digital Audio (different products)
CONS: Wired only!!

Here are the products and features that caught my attention:

1. “VML (MultiMediaLinQ) is a beautifully engineered high-end device with spectacular clear, impressive natural, absolutely free of distortion audio.” VAIS website
a. Digital Audio
b. Ports songs/playlist into ML Screen (with limitation of ~999 songs)
c. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
d. Satellite Radio integration
e. Built in HDD
2. SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) – Allows to play Video on ML NAV screen from iPod/iPhone iTunes library only.
a. No “Digital Audio”
b. Streams Video from iPod/iPhone iTunes Library only (Can’t stream TV, YouTube…)
c. Ports Songs/Playlist into ML Screen (with limitation of ~999 songs)
d. Satellite Radio integration
e. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
Video is nice but it has limited feature-set, and comes on a device that isn’t “Digital Audio”.
Digital Audio is great, you get a build in HDD, but no A2DP  which would be awesome!!

DICE - have awesome products!!!
PROS: A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth), Digital Audio, + more (Same product)
CONS: no video

Here is the product and features that caught my attention:

1. MediaBridge MB1500-Toyota “The MediaBridge audio circuitry is designed to meet or exceed the sound quality of any premium audio system.”
“The MediaBridge is an entertainment and information connectivity device that is o˜ered in two configurations providing connectivity for Bluetooth hands-free and music streaming, USB digital connection for iPod™ and iPhone™, direct connection for USB Flash based mass storage devices and the aftermarket SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio tuner and portable radios. MediaBridge is Made for iPod (MFi) and Works with iPhone (WWi) compliant allowing a full featured iPod/iPhone experience over USB in the vehicle.” DICE website
a. A2DP and ports some level of playlist/controls to ML
b. Digital Audio (USB)
c. Ports songs/playlist into ML Screen and full level of control via wire.
d. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
e. Satellite Radio Integration (Sirius SAT input)
f. AUX Input
g. USB port can be used with flash-drives as well
h. USB port can be “theoretically” used with 2.5” HDD (Will update once I try it)
i. Bluetooth hands-free phone talk (kind of redundant, since I have that in already)
j. Mic input comes with a mic.
MB1500 comes out in few days from the manufacturer and now is in pre-order state only.
I found a killer price on the unit, have already placed the order, will get it in few days, and will let you know if it all sounds as good as it sounds
Ping me for the info if interested.

Scosche - has some variety of products.
PROS: Clean A2DP with Scosche Bluetooth transmitter which will plug into your iphone/ipod, transmitting to BlueFusion Reciever which connects to the back of your ML.
CONS: Limits you to no charge while you have the Transmitter plugged in.
!!Distorted A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) using iPhone’s native A2DP!!
No Wired input. No USB.

1. BlueFusion (BFTAK)
a. - Plays calls through the factory stereo system
b. - Caller ID displays on the screen
c. - Answer and hang-up buttons located on the steering wheel and stereo
d. - Voice dialing with compatible Bluetooth cellular phones
e. - Compatible with A2DP streaming audio devices
A2DP carries over a lot of distortion with iPhone/iPod and could be solved by using their BT iPhone dongle which uses its own BT transmitter. Unfortunately you can't charge the phone while playing A2DP at the same time.

Currently in testing phase of all three of these products on my 2007 Lexus GS450h, will update with results

Ping me if you have any questions, and if you like the POST by all means, feel free to rate it

Last edited by Serggus; 06-30-10 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, great post that's really awesome of you to test out the products.

for the sl2vi, someone has already tried. if the iphone/itouch is jailbroken, you can install app to feed any video source from the device to the nav screen
Old 06-29-10, 05:27 PM
myGSsoWET
Driver

quick question, does the sl2vi plays video with no ML?
Old 06-29-10, 06:04 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET
Where would it play video on ??
Old 06-29-10, 07:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET
yes it does

Originally Posted by Serggus
Where would it play video on ??
without ML there is still a screen
Old 06-29-10, 07:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent post.

Glad you got the facts precise this time

Can you PM me where you bought the Dice Media Bridge at an excellent price. I may buy one too.

I am really looking forward to your review.
Old 06-29-10, 08:00 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
yes it does

without ML there is still a screen
My bad, I'm not familiar with none ML. Good to know for future ref.
Thanks!!
Old 06-30-10, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

My bad, I'm not familiar with none ML. Good to know for future ref.
Thanks!!
no problem. if i am correct all 3gs have screen display up front, whether it has navigation function that's a different story
Old 06-30-10, 02:31 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your poll misses a key preference which is to have both digital wired an a2dp. I have an iPod mounted permanently in my car which I prefer wired, but I like a2dp for my phone because I can use that for things like pandora without having to plug in the phone or disconnect my iPod.
Old 06-30-10, 11:40 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Greats Thread!!!

Last edited by 3GS404; 06-30-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 01:46 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

does the MB1500 support video though? Im dying to find a device that i can use in my 06 with ML to stream videos.
Old 06-30-10, 02:34 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
does the MB1500 support video though? Im dying to find a device that i can use in my 06 with ML to stream videos.
MB1500 doesn't stream video, but it does have A/V out on a Dice cradle (accessory) you can purchase, and port that to whatever.

VAIS streams video, but only from iTunes, which is kind of lame, as I would want to have the versatility of watching hulu, TV, youtube or iTunes...

Yea, no real good solution for video streaming....
Old 06-30-10, 02:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

MB1500 doesn't stream video, but it does have A/V out on a Dice cradle (accessory) you can purchase, and port that to whatever.

VAIS streams video, but only from iTunes, which is kind of lame, as I would want to have the versatility of watching hulu, TV, youtube or iTunes...

Yea, no real good solution for video streaming....
well like i said a little work on the itouch/iphone will do the trick. here's the other thread with more discussions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gation-gs.html
Old 06-30-10, 07:01 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rominl
well like i said a little work on the itouch/iphone will do the trick. here's the other thread with more discussions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gation-gs.html
This is actually very impressive! So from what I see it's streaming the iphone / itouch screen fully, no matter what application you are in. Is that done out of the box??
Supported feature from VAIS is streaming only from iTunes...
Old 06-30-10, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

This is actually very impressive! So from what I see it's streaming the iphone / itouch screen fully, no matter what application you are in. Is that done out of the box??
Supported feature from VAIS is streaming only from iTunes...
yup that's correct. as long as the iphone/itouch is jailbroken and the app installed then you are good to go. of course coming from apple store (or att), the iphone/itouch won't be jailbroken yet.

on vaistech support, it says only steaming from itune/ipod works, that's actually not a limitation of the vaistech device at all. it's actually limitation of the iphone/itouch. apple doesn't want to allow people to stream any video out of the device unless it's through ipod interface. that's the problem.

with the vaistech sl2vi, there is a video mode, which basically just sits there and display whatever the iphone/itouch is streaming out. if the phone is jailbroken and the app installed, then basically it "opens" up the door and allow displaying any video on screen

Quick Reply: iPhone 4/3GS/iPod Touch - streaming over A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) directly to ML