GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

gs350 smoother ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 07:02 PM
LexFather

You can downgrade to 17" wheels with a fatter tire sidewall. The GS 300 came with 17" wheels.

As Henry stated, the 3GS rides harsher than the 2GS.

Old 06-13-10, 08:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3GS is more sporty and less soft than the 2GS, but thats not a reason to right it off. It is definitely one of the more comfortable cars in this segment and your current tires are the primary cause of your problem.

We've made a bunch of suggestions here on tires. When researching them remember a few things:
1) Runflats ride rough
2) Grand touring tires give a smoother softer ride than high performance tires
3) Read lots of reviews before making your decision and try to look for reviews by people who also have heavier cars
Old 06-13-10, 09:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I got my GS after driving a dropped G35 for 5 years so it felt like I wasnt even moving in stock trim. I am surprised that anyone would call the ride in this car ruff. I would strongly recommend you to try a new set of tires. Try Michelin tires. They are usually top notch
Old 06-13-10, 10:33 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The yokos are a problem at 33psi let alone 43psi! And at 17k they are quite worn and get worse.

I changed to Potenza RE960 which are Ultra High Performance A/S. They are far quieter and comfortable without losing too much of the sporty feel.

As others have said, the ultimate seems to be Turanza Serenity. If you don't want to spend that much then the Kumho Platinum touring tires are much cheaper and will be similar but don't have the same performance.

Conti DWS are also quiet and comfortable and excellent in snow and the wet.

Bridgestone have a 30 day money back guarantee so you could try them at no risk.
Old 06-14-10, 06:10 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacket
The yokos are a problem at 33psi let alone 43psi! And at 17k they are quite worn and get worse.

I changed to Potenza RE960 which are Ultra High Performance A/S. They are far quieter and comfortable without losing too much of the sporty feel.

As others have said, the ultimate seems to be Turanza Serenity. If you don't want to spend that much then the Kumho Platinum touring tires are much cheaper and will be similar but don't have the same performance.

Conti DWS are also quiet and comfortable and excellent in snow and the wet.

Bridgestone have a 30 day money back guarantee so you could try them at no risk.
How does this Bridgestone 30-day money back work?
Old 06-14-10, 05:53 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
How does this Bridgestone 30-day money back work?
I've heard people just take them back. It's probably best to buy them from a retail outlet rather than have them delivered to do that.

I'm having issues with my Potenza RE960's at the moment so although they are great tires I can't recommend them.

I get the feeling that the Lexus is quite particular on tires for the GS as there is a TSB for the first year alignment. So here are my suggestions for how to approach this.

1) Consider buying an "approved tire". Apparently Lexus recommends some tires. Ask different dealers about this to make sure you know what this list is. When I went to Costco, they didn't want to put Turanza Serenity's on my GS. It may be something to do with the exact speed rating or maybe Costco have got information from car manufacturers as well.
2) Although they are often more expensive, think about buying the tires and getting an alignment at your dealer. That way you have a one stop shop to fall back on in case of any issue. Right now I am shuttling between Discount Tire and the shop that did my alignment. Both are saying the other is responsible (but thankfully in a nice way)
3) If you go to Costco or Discount Tire, then think about only getting tires that Lexus approves. You're less likely to have issues with them.
Old 06-14-10, 07:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go for the Yokohama Advan S4 tires ( ultra high performance all season tires). I have them on my Audi A8L sedan. Smooth, quiet and rides very nice over bumps. I also would look at the Continental DWS tires.

The Lexus GS is very sensitive to the type of tires you put on it and it will be very smooth and comfortable with decent tires other than those yokohama advan summer tires.
Old 06-14-10, 07:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard people just take them back. It's probably best to buy them from a retail outlet rather than have them delivered to do that.

I'm having issues with my Potenza RE960's at the moment so although they are great tires I can't recommend them.

I get the feeling that the Lexus is quite particular on tires for the GS as there is a TSB for the first year alignment. So here are my suggestions for how to approach this.

1) Consider buying an "approved tire". Apparently Lexus recommends some tires. Ask different dealers about this to make sure you know what this list is. When I went to Costco, they didn't want to put Turanza Serenity's on my GS. It may be something to do with the exact speed rating or maybe Costco have got information from car manufacturers as well.
2) Although they are often more expensive, think about buying the tires and getting an alignment at your dealer. That way you have a one stop shop to fall back on in case of any issue. Right now I am shuttling between Discount Tire and the shop that did my alignment. Both are saying the other is responsible (but thankfully in a nice way)
3) If you go to Costco or Discount Tire, then think about only getting tires that Lexus approves. You're less likely to have issues with them.
What issues are you having with the 960AS?
I had this tire on my car for over 2 years and it is the smoothest and most comfy tire I have ever had.
Old 06-14-10, 07:46 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get new tires.
Old 06-14-10, 11:48 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
What issues are you having with the 960AS?
I had this tire on my car for over 2 years and it is the smoothest and most comfy tire I have ever had.
It's a great tire but it is currently pulling after an alignment. I did a rotation and it's pulling even more. Another poster also had this issue.
Old 06-15-10, 01:46 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a great tire but it is currently pulling after an alignment. I did a rotation and it's pulling even more. Another poster also had this issue.
I also had those for only 10 days. Bad tires.. Pulling and vibration despite road force balancing and alignment. I got rid of them and got Michelins. No wonder they have 30 days return policy.
Old 06-17-10, 10:52 AM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if worst comes to worst and you just can't take it no more, I'm in the market for just such a vehicle So let me know if you want to sell it, im in the bay area as well.
Old 06-17-10, 12:03 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my ride is smooth as hell especially after the airrunners...
Old 06-17-10, 02:03 PM
VQ35ohwhat
Driver School Candidate

That's a bummer. Tires sound like a good fix. It is a shame to replace new tires though
Old 06-17-10, 07:36 PM
tekjunkie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VQ35ohwhat
That's a bummer. Tires sound like a good fix. It is a shame to replace new tires though
Same dilemma for me.

Quick Reply: gs350 smoother ride