GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Have any 3GS drivers tested the M37/M56 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 01:16 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my 3 BMWs which I owned from new until about 40,000 miles in each case, I had the following issues across the 3 cars and 10 year period:
2 suspension failures
1 ECU failure
1 air conditioning failure
2 power seat failures
1 engine overheating problem which could not be solved (that was the second BMW which I traded.
1 cd player failure
1 instance of a faulty sensor draining the battery when the car is parked and switched off
2 convertible top failures
1 instance of random warning lights coming on intermittently when there was no real problem

I love BMWs but this is why I left in 2009.

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-06-10 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 02:05 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
everything we used to know about cars seems to be turning over on its head.

hyundai is coming up, german cars are getting more reliable, and lexus has dropped the ball more frequently in recent years.

that said, i still wouldn't buy a first year model bmw.
lol so true. look at the 2002 7 series, I dont think ive seen any other car with that many electrical problems. Id give BMW a couple years to work out all the kinks on their new models and they should be golden
Old 04-06-10, 07:23 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True dunnojack. I might hold that deposit till next year in the Spring for the 2012 model year for them to get those minor kinks worked out. Our 2008 BMW has been flawless as compared to a friend's 2007 3 series coupe.
Old 04-06-10, 11:02 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
everything we used to know about cars seems to be turning over on its head.

hyundai is coming up, german cars are getting more reliable, and lexus has dropped the ball more frequently in recent years.

that said, i still wouldn't buy a first year model bmw.
Next thing you know the Korean cars are costing more than the Germans and the British cars are the most reliable of all.
Old 04-06-10, 12:19 PM
LexFather

I will soon. Probably will drive a M35/45 again then drive the new model. The MSRP seems way to high to me but dealers are discounting like crazy already. I LOVE this interior choice.

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I haven't test drove it yet, but here is what an Acura TL driver said in another forum I'm on, after his visit to the dealership and just sitting in the car.

....And was deeply disappointed. The car is quite cramped in front in spite of its large exterior dimensions. With the seat all the way back there still wasn't enough leg room to the gas pedal. Side to side my right leg was bumping into the center console. The interior of the previous M, which had been so attractive was markedly lacking in this refresh. The new E-class interior absolutely blows it away. I didn't have the time to take it out for a test drive but I have to say I was quite unimpressed.

Compared to its little brother, the G, of course it was spacious, but that isn't saying much. The G makes you feel like you're in a straight jacket. I think the Smart car has more useable interior room. So I happily left the Infiniti dealership and climbed back into my Acura TL. I've never appreciated a car more.
That review was done by the typical Acura ricer idiot with the automotive knowledge of a bathroom tile.
Old 04-06-10, 12:22 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just got back from the Infiniti dealership and they only had 1 of the new M models. - It's a 2011. I could not test drive it until next week, but frankly after sitting inside the car, I don't really want to drive it.

The styling of the dash and controls, remind me a lot of the Genesis. However, I found the Genesis controls a bit nicer. 1 pull of the moonroof shade of the M vs. the Genesis and you would be more impressed with the Genesis. The back seat of the M was very cramped compared to the Genesis. And they want $20 Grand more for this car over the Genesis! Not from me!

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 04-06-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 01:49 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will soon. Probably will drive a M35/45 again then drive the new model. The MSRP seems way to high to me but dealers are discounting like crazy already. I LOVE this interior choice.
I love this interior combination too. It's awesome. But Infiniti being Infiniti does not allow this interior on an M56 with Sports Package. people are already complaining about that on the Infiniti forums.
Old 04-06-10, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
I love this interior combination too. It's awesome. But Infiniti being Infiniti does not allow this interior on an M56 with Sports Package. people are already complaining about that on the Infiniti forums.
You are right and I've reviewed the option packages with the sport/non sport/awd options and they are just stupid.
Old 04-06-10, 01:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I haven't test drove it yet, but here is what an Acura TL driver said in another forum I'm on, after his visit to the dealership and just sitting in the car.

....And was deeply disappointed. The car is quite cramped in front in spite of its large exterior dimensions. With the seat all the way back there still wasn't enough leg room to the gas pedal. Side to side my right leg was bumping into the center console. The interior of the previous M, which had been so attractive was markedly lacking in this refresh. The new E-class interior absolutely blows it away. I didn't have the time to take it out for a test drive but I have to say I was quite unimpressed.

Compared to its little brother, the G, of course it was spacious, but that isn't saying much. The G makes you feel like you're in a straight jacket. I think the Smart car has more useable interior room. So I happily left the Infiniti dealership and climbed back into my Acura TL. I've never appreciated a car more.

I think your friend was mistaken or must be bigger than 6'5" and weigh more than 320 lbs because I sat in one recently at Scottsdale infiniti and was blown away by the design, interior, and the size and even the headroom.
Old 04-06-10, 01:58 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think your friend was mistaken or must be bigger than 6'5" and weigh more than 320 lbs because I sat in one recently at Scottsdale infiniti and was blown away by the design, interior, and the size and even the headroom.
No friend of mine. - I just found that post on another forum. You are my best buddy compared to the guy that wrote that post!
Old 04-06-10, 03:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
headroom is never an issue in infinitis, being that their cars are so tall and narrow.
Old 04-06-10, 03:46 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I prefer the simpler interior of the Hyundai Genesis. Less Clutter more leather. Pretty much the same options.

Old 04-06-10, 04:52 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense, but the Genesis interior screams cheapness and looks very plain. But that's my opinion and that is how you can get a car priced in the 30k region which is rare these days. I say go for this car and see how it is and who knows, over the years you will be thankful or not.
Old 04-06-10, 05:20 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
No offense, but the Genesis interior screams cheapness and looks very plain. But that's my opinion and that is how you can get a car priced in the 30k region which is rare these days. I say go for this car and see how it is and who knows, over the years you will be thankful or not.
You have never sat in a Genesis, but have a definite opinion from looking at a picture? I can tell you this, my 07 GS350 interior is far cheaper than the Genesis! You should test drive one as I did.
Old 04-06-10, 05:38 PM
LexFather

Lets not exaggerate here. I am a fan of the Genesis but lets see how things hold up over 5-6 years and will it look good 6 years from now like how the GS interior still looks good.

Also the Genesis interior is really Hyundai's version of the discontinued 2001-2004 Q45/M45 which shared interiors. The Q45 interior was solid back then.

Quick Reply: Have any 3GS drivers tested the M37/M56 yet?