GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Taking my car in for service; need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 02:03 PM
ramair57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my car in for service; need some advice...

Its a 2009 GS350 AWD with about 3K miles on it; just leased it. Im taking the car in to get rid of the creaky, rice-crispy sounding dashboard thats been eating away at me. According to the dealer, they havent really heard of this problem before. I was surprised, because from what Ive gathered, its a fairly common problem on this car. Is there some sort of TSB or something I can specifically point to in case they look at me like Im crazy? I just want to go in there armed with the right info, so they dont rip apart the dash and make things worse then they already are. Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-10, 02:15 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by ramair57
Its a 2009 GS350 AWD with about 3K miles on it; just leased it. Im taking the car in to get rid of the creaky, rice-crispy sounding dashboard thats been eating away at me. According to the dealer, they havent really heard of this problem before. I was surprised, because from what Ive gathered, its a fairly common problem on this car. Is there some sort of TSB or something I can specifically point to in case they look at me like Im crazy? I just want to go in there armed with the right info, so they dont rip apart the dash and make things worse then they already are. Thanks guys!
Which lexus dealer did you go to? I got mine from Lexus of Manhattan and they fixed the issue on the first try. Not sure of the exact TSB.
Old 03-03-10, 02:24 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a TSIB though.

Just make sure it's still creaking when you go in since they might send a guy for a ride with you to listen for the noise.
Old 03-03-10, 02:33 PM
ramair57
Driver School Candidate

Its a dealership in Buffalo. I thought there was some kind of TSIB or something; some easy fix with different clips. Oh well, I hope they can rid of this
Old 03-03-10, 03:30 PM
HomieG
Driver

There were a couple of TSIB's for '06 and '07 models for front dash and windshield rattles:

L-SB-0040-08 - Dash/Instrument panel
NV005-06 - Upper/lower windshield tick noise

Not sure if there are similar TSIB's for the '09 model.
Old 03-03-10, 03:35 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Isn't it TSB for Toyota Service Bulletin? What is the I supposed to be?

My friend who has a 3rd gen GS said his was creaking a bit, and he took the ride with the service advisor. They kept it for a day or so, padded a few areas, and it's been super quiet ever since. Gotta love it.

Big Mack
Old 03-03-10, 03:53 PM
HomieG
Driver

Officially it's TSIB for:

Technical Service Information Bulletin.

But TSB works ok, and most people will understand what one is talking about.
Old 03-04-10, 06:36 PM
united19
Driver School Candidate

who pays for TSIB when you are out of warrenty?
Old 03-05-10, 04:38 AM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by united19
who pays for TSIB when you are out of warrenty?
You do (the owner).

Some are covered under the 4yr/50K warranty, and others under the 6yr/70K warranty (generally powertrain related issues).

The TSIB typically states under what warranty it is covered under.
Old 03-05-10, 12:01 PM
DaBeast
Driver

I had the same problem and they told me it wasn't covered because I had a replacement windshield put in due to a previous crack. They tell me its loose by the dash from the install.
Old 03-05-10, 03:08 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is going in Monday for this. Figure I need to get it addressed as my 4yr is up next Wed.
Old 03-06-10, 09:49 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default nightmare

OMG my car is a nightmare with this!!! I've taken it in 3 times now for the same fcking noises. there's like a hundred noises all over the car. mostly from the front dash and then also from the driver's door and the passenger door, and one really high pitched squeak that i can't tell where its coming from. i have an 07 gs450h with 27k miles. Still 5 months left on the original warrantee and then I have the 3yr/100k CPO warrantee to go thru. SUCH A NIGHTMARE. Each time of the 3 times Lexus has had my car, it's taken 2 weeks for them to "fix" it. Everytime it has about the same amount of rattles as the last. I also can't see anything at night. The headlights are aimed SO low. Ive asked them to point them higher, but it doesn't do much. I kindof wish I had bought a new car cuz when I take it in, they give me 09 or '10 loaners, Ive had the ES, IS and RX, and they are SO quiet, no rattles whatsoever, and the headlights are ALL so strong and BRIGHT at night. It's like it's daytime. I want to turn my car in under the CA lemon law, but I doubt theyll take it back for noises and not being able to see at night.
Old 03-07-10, 04:48 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aypues
OMG my car is a nightmare with this!!! I've taken it in 3 times now for the same fcking noises. there's like a hundred noises all over the car. mostly from the front dash and then also from the driver's door and the passenger door, and one really high pitched squeak that i can't tell where its coming from. i have an 07 gs450h with 27k miles. Still 5 months left on the original warrantee and then I have the 3yr/100k CPO warrantee to go thru. SUCH A NIGHTMARE. Each time of the 3 times Lexus has had my car, it's taken 2 weeks for them to "fix" it. Everytime it has about the same amount of rattles as the last. I also can't see anything at night. The headlights are aimed SO low. Ive asked them to point them higher, but it doesn't do much. I kindof wish I had bought a new car cuz when I take it in, they give me 09 or '10 loaners, Ive had the ES, IS and RX, and they are SO quiet, no rattles whatsoever, and the headlights are ALL so strong and BRIGHT at night. It's like it's daytime. I want to turn my car in under the CA lemon law, but I doubt theyll take it back for noises and not being able to see at night.
I drive a 06 GS430. @ 48500 miles. Still none of this rattling everyone goes on about.

That sucks for you guys, but any competent mechanic should be able to find and dampen the sound.
Old 03-07-10, 10:19 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Guys this is a common problem at least in 2008 and previous model years. 2009 may be different (but I dont think so). Dealers who do not recognize this are either incompetent or liars. Research it on these forums and print them out for them to read. I went to the dealer with the complaint. Tech rode with me to hear the rattles and told me he knew exactly what to do. He told me the rattles could be a result of a number of design flaws including the clips, lack of insulation, etc.

I got the car back and it is much much better...still some sounds here and there but much improved.

Do your research, stay firm with them, and good luck.

Last edited by MelYW; 03-07-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 10:49 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

man are you serious??? I went to a dealer the other day, to talk about selling my bog-slow GS 300 awd and getting an '07 GS 350 RWD. The lying *** salesman told me "they fixed the creaky dashboard in the '07 GS".

Why must salesmen always infer that the car I have is a p.o.s. and the car they have "fixed all those problems".

Quick Reply: Taking my car in for service; need some advice...