GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Audio question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 06:38 AM
huyqly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio question

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has changed out their 10 speaker system on their 3rd gen. I was wanting to change mine out I have the non ML system.
Old 11-05-13, 07:41 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you looking to accomplish? Just better sound? Louder? More bass? More detail?
Old 11-05-13, 07:48 AM
huyqly
Driver

I already got a w6v3 but I want to change my mids
Old 11-05-13, 09:38 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by huyqly
I already got a w6v3 but I want to change my mids
So you have a JL sub of unknown size and you want to change your mids...

Why change your mids? What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 11-05-13, 09:59 AM
huyqly
Driver

It is a 12 but what does that matter? Simply asking if someone has changed out their mids and if it has been done before? People usually change out speakers to be louder. No need to be a ***** about it.
Old 11-05-13, 11:37 AM
Roe
Driver

Originally Posted by huyqly
It is a 12 but what does that matter? Simply asking if someone has changed out their mids and if it has been done before? People usually change out speakers to be louder. No need to be a ***** about it.
I don't think he's being a ***** about it. I feel he's trying to find out more info to help you.
Old 11-05-13, 04:28 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

I wouldn't waste my time here being a *****... Only here to help & learn.

The size of the sub would be important because of the crossover point of the mids you are so apt to replace.

Step 1 to any system that has a decent source and speakers... amplification and proper crossover tuning. A multichannel amp that incorporates a high pass crossover on the stock highs/mids set to around 90 hz @12dB per octave and your sub (sealed enclosure) to about 80 hz @24 dB per octave is what I'd start out doing instead of changing the speakers.
So disconnect stock sub and remove it... use your boom-hoppa JL 12 somewhere in your trunk, add at least 350w RMS to that thing... connect a multi-channel amp to the leads for your fronts and rears (leave center connected to stock amp).

and go from there... The stock speakers can take more power when they are crossed over at a higher frequency.

But thats just an idea. Its not the speakers that are your weak link... its whats going to them.
Old 11-05-13, 09:52 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have changed my door mids out to some Focals and the dash tweeters out to some Morel's along with a JL 12w6v2 in a sealed enclosure. You will need to make some adapters to fit door speakers as there is limited depth there. You may also need to be creative with tweeters in he dash locations depending on what kind of mounts they have. I am still running the stock center channel and stock rears. I am running a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 processor to integrate with the factory system and 4 after market amps. The 3Sixty.3 really is the heart of the system as it has all of the tools you need to integrate and tune a system.

Upgrading the factory system is not that difficult, but you need to have some experience to install it properly and get it to work.
Old 11-05-13, 10:08 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have change out every speaker in the car
Old 11-05-13, 11:58 PM
huyqly
Driver

Thanks for all ur help, audiobob do u use ur Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 to stream audio via Bluetooth? I didnt realize this unit existed, I currently just bought the vaistech unit to listen to my iPhone.
Old 11-08-13, 11:47 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed with the aboves.

Have mine's all changed out to MB Quart 6.5 components..... Hopefully if when I get the cash, I can upgrade to some nice Hertz .

Anything help you need along the install.... def hit me up via PM and i'll be glad to help

P.S. the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 is for TUNING purposes/capabilities of your speakers.... tuning it to run perfectly at different frequencies, how high and how low your system goes, EQ curves, output, etc. etc. I'm not sure if you're mistaken on that, because last I checked it had no Bluetooth audio feed out.
Old 11-09-13, 05:27 AM
AudioBob
Driver

The 3Sixty.3 includes a Bluetooth Dongle that plugs in to the unit. It is a nice piece and I have had it in my car since spring with no issues.
Old 11-09-13, 09:31 AM
huyqly
Driver

I Think I will go with the hertz component in the front first see how the factory mids will sound in the back with the rf 3.sixty
Old 11-09-13, 09:37 AM
huyqly
Driver

Audiobob does the 3sixty.3 has long enough harness to wire that piece to the trunk?
Old 11-09-13, 07:59 PM
AudioBob
Driver

It depends on where you mount it. I used speaker wire where I tapped into the factory amplifier and ran it to where I have the 3Sixty.3 mounted.

Quick Reply: Audio question