GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cont. Extreme Cont DWS vs. Bridgestone Serenity.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 02:54 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cont. Extreme Cont DWS vs. Bridgestone Serenity.......

I think I've narrowed it down to a couple tires of my search. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS and the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. I am looking for the Smoothest riding All Season tires for my 07 GS350.

Anyone have experience with both?

Anyone know of a Smoother riding All Season Tire?
Old 02-23-10, 05:54 PM
dwiall
Driver

I have the Bridgstone Turanza Serenity on my 07 AWD GS 350 and I would say they are OK. I also have Goodyear tripletread on a Solara and like them better on that car then I like the Bridgstones on the GS. All the reviews I have read about the Tripletread say they are a little noisy. On the Solara they are very very quite. Every car is going to be different with the same tire on them. The Bridgstones hit the concrete expasion joints pretty hard and I think they are noisy. You can go to Sears (they carry both tires) and try the Tripletread, if you don't like them you have 30 days to change them. The tripletread will out perform the Bridgestones and I would say they will give a better ride. The Tripletread will cost a fair amount more then the Bridgestones. The Tripletread does loose its snow grip at around 45-50K miles, but what tire doesn't. I am going to put tripltread on when these wear out. Also, the snow grip is very good.

let me know
Old 02-23-10, 07:51 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Go with the Michelin Pilot All-Season Sports Plus.........hands down the best tires I ever had.
Old 02-24-10, 12:08 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kyang91
Go with the Michelin Pilot All-Season Sports Plus.........hands down the best tires I ever had.

Do you know what the difference between the Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot sport A/S Plus is?
Old 02-24-10, 02:51 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

The answer is the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.......

I had a long talk with a Tire Expert at Tire Rack this afternoon. The smoothest riding tire for the GS350 is the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.

The Pilot Sport and Continental DWS are smooth riding in the Ultra High Performance Category, but they don't hold a candle to the Grand Touring Category. You cannot compare across Categories. The smoothest riding category is the Grand Touring Category.

So if someone wants a smooth riding, All season tire - Go to the Tire Rack All Season Grand Touring Category and stay away from the High Performance Categories. Peoples Opinions, yes, but they are an average and after they hit over a million miles, they are pretty credible.
Old 02-24-10, 03:46 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the conti DWS on my 2GS. They did FANTASTIC in the snow for all season tires, handling is decent, wet roads are no problem at all, and they are quiet. I have been very impressed with these tires so far. I've put about 3k miles on them.
Old 02-24-10, 04:05 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I have the conti DWS on my 2GS. They did FANTASTIC in the snow for all season tires, handling is decent, wet roads are no problem at all, and they are quiet. I have been very impressed with these tires so far. I've put about 3k miles on them.
I am sure that they are doing a nice job. However they will not be as quiet as the Bridgestone Turanza Serentity.
Old 02-24-10, 06:50 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Do you know what the difference between the Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot sport A/S Plus is?
The difference is A/S is 400 AA A and A/S Plus is 500 AA A so better and longer thread wear on the plus. Btw i would highly suggest Michellin pilot sport A/S plus. It handle's very good, very quiet, very very soft tires and they are the best threat wear tires for our car's. I have them and i have nothing but good things to say about them. Next set is also gonna be michelin pilot sport A/S plus
Old 02-24-10, 06:54 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to tirerack.com official comparison between tire's. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...son-tires.html
Old 02-24-10, 06:58 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
The difference is A/S is 400 AA A and A/S Plus is 500 AA A so better and longer thread wear on the plus. Btw i would highly suggest Michellin pilot sport A/S plus. It handle's very good, very quiet, very very soft tires and they are the best threat wear tires for our car's. I have them and i have nothing but good things to say about them. Next set is also gonna be michelin pilot sport A/S plus
My requirements were for the smoothest riding All Season tires and the Pilot Sport is in the High Performance All Season Category. While I'm sure it is a good tire, the Grand Touring Category is where you should be looking if you want the smoothest riding tire. The Bridgestone Serentity will be a smoother riding tire than the Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 02-24-10, 08:38 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

other than michellin pilot sport a/s plus, i'm not too familiar with other brands, but they seem very compatible looking at the tire rack's survey.. i guess it really depends on your preference. if you want more dry traction, go with michellin, bridgestone for little more comfort, continental for little bit of everything.. for me, hands down for pilot sport..
Old 02-25-10, 05:10 AM
KITT
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth: I only have experience with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (17"). Had them installed 1500 miles ago. Very smooth. Of course, I was coming off Dunlop runflats which were horrible. I live in the Chicago area and we have gotten a good amount of snow dumped on us the last few weeks and the tires have done me good.
Old 02-25-10, 05:27 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stvincent
other than michellin pilot sport a/s plus, i'm not too familiar with other brands, but they seem very compatible looking at the tire rack's survey.. i guess it really depends on your preference. if you want more dry traction, go with michellin, bridgestone for little more comfort, continental for little bit of everything.. for me, hands down for pilot sport..

As the Tire Rack Consultant explained to me, you cannot cross compare different categories of tires. a 9.2 comfort and noise rating in the High Performance All season category does not compare to a 9.2 comfort and noise rating in the Grand Touring All Season Category. They are not compatible.
Old 02-25-10, 06:48 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
As the Tire Rack Consultant explained to me, you cannot cross compare different categories of tires. a 9.2 comfort and noise rating in the High Performance All season category does not compare to a 9.2 comfort and noise rating in the Grand Touring All Season Category. They are not compatible.
if that's the case i guess it's like comparing apple to orange, yet you have two tires in different categories for comparison. like i mentioned, i think it's really up to your preference. i look for traction, handling and UTQG rating other than anything else. others are more concerned about noise level and comfort.
Old 02-27-10, 07:10 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default What about Bridgestone Potenza RE960?

After a lot of research, I opted for RE960's and had them put on today.

My reasoning was as follows;

Vs the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, the tire rack reviews showed that the RE960's were noticeably quieter with no loss in dry or wet performance or ride comfort. However, their snow performance was worse. I live in CA so this trade off suited me fine. Also the RE960's were slightly cheaper even taking into account a 40000 mile vs 45000 mile warranty. Additionally there is a try for 30 day period.

Vs the Turanza with Serenity, I opted to not go for the ultimate in ride and noise since the RE960's are a huge improvement over the stock Yokohama's I've had for 27k now. I wanted to ensure I did not lose some of the performance I had gotten used to especially since it would have been about $200 more than the RE960's. I am though curious what the performance would have been like.

Vs the DWS, the issue for me was the far better steering feel and cornering that the RE960's would have. Although the DWS are impressive for snow and wet, I didn't need the snow performance, while the wet performance of the RE960's is close enough to the DWS. Again, coming off the stock Yokohama summer tires, the DWS would have been quite a come down from the steering perspective.

I looked at a couple of other options. The Kumho LX Platinum were interesting and a good value but had poor wet performance. From what I could tell if price was the issue, then the DWS were clearly the best option. Also, if wet and snow are important then the DWS again seem to be the best option.

Finally my driving impressions for the 6 miles or so back from America's Tire today. After the stock Yokohama's which were at 2/32 depth, the difference was quite amazing. Really felt like another car and that I had a Lexus ride for the first time in a while. I drove back the same way as I went to the tire shop. Virtually no noise from the tires, I could in fact hear the engine instead. Ride comfort on all surfaces was improved. Steering feel was not as precise for small movements at lower speeds. However going around moderate curves at speed, the car went where I expected it to. Braking felt softer with less feedback although braking performance itself seemed fine.

I'd love to hear feedback from the OP on the Turanza's especially from a performance perspective and also understand what their current tires are. I didn't go for them mainly because I was worried about performance and was pretty certain the RE960's would provide enough of a comfort and noise improvement.

Quick Reply: Cont. Extreme Cont DWS vs. Bridgestone Serenity.......