GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should I Replace Rotors? Low Cost OEM Pads & Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 07:48 AM
Evel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Replace Rotors? Low Cost OEM Pads & Rotors?

I have 36.6K miles & have been told that I need to replace all brake pads; however, two weeks ago during safety & emissions inspection at a gas/service station, I was told I had a month or two of pad life left, last week when I had a tire/wheel re-balanced at NTB, I was told I need new pads, ASAP. Don't know if it was a case of up-selling by NTB or not, but how do you go from a few months of life to immediate need for replacement in one week? BTW, I'll try to get a 3rd opinion to confirm which assessment is accurate.

Neither place said anything about the rotors; however, I did go over my records from service performed by the dealer during warranty period & learned the two front rotors were machined in April 2009, because they were "warped/high spots" found on them.

When I do replace the brake pads (all around), should I replace the front rotors too or perhaps all four?

At this point, I got approx 36,500 miles on the orig brake pads before I was told pad replacement would soon be needed, the least amount of miles I've ever gotten on a set of brake pads, perhaps its the AWD impact, as I don't think I'm a hard braker & as you can see I don't put a lot of miles on a car annually, I am thinking about going with OEM pads (they have been quiet w/little brake dust). The dealer quoted $95/pair for pads & $199/pair for rotors. Is anyone selling '06 GS300 AWD OEM pads & rotors for less?
Old 02-21-10, 10:14 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to replace front pads with rotors at 33,000. Sewell said do both at the same time...
Old 02-21-10, 11:29 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

How come you guys change pads after 30k miles? Most of the 3gs out here in the gulf change both front and rear pads after 10k Kms. I am not talking about 1 or 2 people, the entire community of a gulf forum out here claim that they regularly change every 10k kms. Do we get crappy pads over here?
Old 02-21-10, 11:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

THats funny....I had my brake wear out at about 35k and the dealership replaced them under warranty. They at 48k miles the front brakes were making a lot of noise and they replaced them under warranty as well. My service guy is the man. He can't be beat. He always takes great care of me and that why I keep going back
Old 02-21-10, 12:21 PM
HomieG
Driver

Thought I read that there some sort of audible pad alerts on these cars for pads that need to be changed...is that right?
Old 02-21-10, 12:54 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Yeh, i noticed that the rear pads produce different sounds than the fronts.
Old 02-21-10, 03:38 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I need to get some new pads for myself......
Old 02-21-10, 04:06 PM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by Evel
The dealer quoted $95/pair for pads & $199/pair for rotors. Is anyone selling '06 GS300 AWD OEM pads & rotors for less?
Those are actually pretty good prices from the dealer for those OEM parts.
Old 02-21-10, 04:55 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced original pads at 52k miles (could have gone another 5-10k miles) and did not replace the rotors because there was plenty of material left. If they are not warped and there is plenty of material left then why spend the money? Take a wheel off, measure with a micrometer and check against specifications.

I replaced my pads with Akebono Pro-Act ceramics from TireRack for $50 a set. They are as dustless and quiet as stock with the same stopping power. (ps. Akebono makes the pads for Toyota.). On the other hand, you can get good prices on lexus parts through online dealers as well.

steviej
Old 02-21-10, 06:29 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my pads with hawk ceramics and found oem spec cross drilled and slotted rotors and did all four myself for under $500
Old 02-21-10, 06:58 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

replaced pads @ 23k and 45k.

Currently riding on Centric PosiQuiets. Screw OEM brakes. There is no advantage and twice the price.
Old 02-22-10, 08:13 AM
Evel
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
THats funny....I had my brake wear out at about 35k and the dealership replaced them under warranty. They at 48k miles the front brakes were making a lot of noise and they replaced them under warranty as well. My service guy is the man. He can't be beat. He always takes great care of me and that why I keep going back
I8ABMR,

You definitely got some serious "Bro Luv "from your dealer svc mgr to get free brake pads covered under warranty. Sadly my warranty just timed-out on Wed of last week.
Old 02-22-10, 12:25 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HomieG
Those are actually pretty good prices from the dealer for those OEM parts.
damn are u serious ? I was quoted 65$ for front pads and 65$ for rear pads.. I got an employee discount and picked up all pads front and rear for 90$...That is kinda high in my opinion for oem pads... And this is in Miami, so you know they tax over here...
Old 02-22-10, 01:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

i was told there's 2 versions of pads made by lexus..... the guy told me next time i get serviced they should ask me.... quiet and dusty or loud and non-dusty *shrugs* its not time for me yet so i haven't spent time researching, i'm prolly gonna get something less dusty though, my rims take 25 minutes to clean completely =\

what supposedly makes our brakes squeak is the shims between the pads n the calipers
Old 02-22-10, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Evel
I8ABMR,

You definitely got some serious "Bro Luv "from your dealer svc mgr to get free brake pads covered under warranty. Sadly my warranty just timed-out on Wed of last week.
If it makes you feel any better , he did tell me I will need rear brakes at the next service.

Quick Reply: Should I Replace Rotors? Low Cost OEM Pads & Rotors?