GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 05:51 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)

I live in WI and just took the wife's 07 awd gs 350 to the store. What I noticed is, when 2 wheels are on dry pavement and the other 2 are on snow and you hit the brakes, your maximum braking is regulated by the tire that has the least traction. In otherwords, these cars do not have 4 wheel independent abs, very dissopointing. Same goes for traction control. Acceleration is limited by the tire with the least traction. My 09 Solara is just the opposite. if one tire is on dry pavement that tire will give maximum braking while the others are pulsed by the computer, same goes for acceleration. Why does this 40k car keep dissopointing me? The front dash creak rattle is no good. can someone tell me what is causing this when it is cold so I can tear it apart and fix it. I had the TSB done and when they gave me the car back the service manager said that when it is cold the dash is going to creak. This tells me they know what it is so why don't they fix the damned thing? When they have the dash apart put something in there or cut something or spread axle grease on it. I quarauntee if they showed me what was causing the creaking when they had the dash off it would take less than 5 minutes to correct it. If someone can tell me what it is I will tear it apart on fix it myself.

Dave
Old 01-09-10, 07:13 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I really don't understand what you're talking about. If the rates of braking or acceleration were different, your car would spin. Is that what you want???
Old 01-09-10, 10:13 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dwiall
if one tire is on dry pavement that tire will give maximum braking while the others are pulsed by the computer, same goes for acceleration. Why does this 40k car keep dissopointing me? Dave
Dave
first this is a 45k car how the heck would a car adjust the acceleration to give more power to a wheel with more traction ? it does not make sense
Old 01-09-10, 11:21 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Dave
first this is a 45k car how the heck would a car adjust the acceleration to give more power to a wheel with more traction ? it does not make sense
this is exactly what a limited slip differential does, isn't it? Open diff provides traction to wheel with least resistance, LS provides it to wheel with most resistance.
Old 01-09-10, 02:47 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I live in WI and just took the wife's 07 awd gs 350 to the store. What I noticed is, when 2 wheels are on dry pavement and the other 2 are on snow and you hit the brakes, your maximum braking is regulated by the tire that has the least traction. In otherwords, these cars do not have 4 wheel independent abs, very dissopointing. Same goes for traction control. Acceleration is limited by the tire with the least traction. My 09 Solara is just the opposite. if one tire is on dry pavement that tire will give maximum braking while the others are pulsed by the computer, same goes for acceleration. Why does this 40k car keep dissopointing me? The front dash creak rattle is no good. can someone tell me what is causing this when it is cold so I can tear it apart and fix it. I had the TSB done and when they gave me the car back the service manager said that when it is cold the dash is going to creak. This tells me they know what it is so why don't they fix the damned thing? When they have the dash apart put something in there or cut something or spread axle grease on it. I quarauntee if they showed me what was causing the creaking when they had the dash off it would take less than 5 minutes to correct it. If someone can tell me what it is I will tear it apart on fix it myself.

Dave
This reminds of the saying "For every complicated problem, there is someone with a simple solution that won't work"
Old 01-09-10, 04:36 PM
dwiall
Driver

If I thought I could sell this car for 32K it would be gone. The problem is, I doubt it would get by a test drive with all the dash noise.

All I know is, if I drive the Solara on the same road and put one wheel in the snow lane and one on the pavement the car accelerates like there is no snow. Try that with the GS and it doesn't go anywhere. Same thing with brakeing, one wheel in the snow and one on pavement and it slids like all 4 wheels are on ice, not the case with the Solara.

Now that I think about it, I did have the traction off on the Solara, maybe that makes it work like a limited slip differential. Reminds me of the early cars that had anti lock brakes; it was on the rear only. I believe my Mark 7 was like that.

Any buyers out there? Has had all the TSB's done, new tires with 4k on them. 35,000 miles, starfire/cashmere,everything but ML. I'll take a Buick Lacrosse CXS in trade.

To me it was a $32000 car.

Cut-Throat, This reminds of the saying "For every complicated problem, there is someone with a simple solution that won't work"

They said the sound barrier could never be broken, look how simple that was.

You honestly believe there is no fix to the dash rattles. Lexus just doesn't want to fix it for you. Its a rattle, bolt it , glue it, pad it, or remove it. I have read others have had theres in several times and it finally comes back quite. This is my first Lexus and will be my last. Just can't believe it.

Sorry to complain about it so much. I'll stop and move on to a different vehical when I get rid of this one.
Old 01-09-10, 04:58 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Cut-Throat, This reminds of the saying "For every complicated problem, there is someone with a simple solution that won't work"
They said the sound barrier could never be broken, look how simple that was.

You honestly believe there is no fix to the dash rattles. Lexus just doesn't want to fix it for you. Its a rattle, bolt it , glue it, pad it, or remove it. I have read others have had theres in several times and it finally comes back quite.
Well, if you think Lexus does not want to fix the problem, what possible motivation would Lexus have for this? Just waste your time and theirs, let you drive loaners, and ruin their reputation?

Some folks here have had their GS's in for 5 times for the rattle fix, and the dealerships have struck out. But you think you can fix this yourself on your first try. I think you underestimate the training and experience of people skilled in their field.

When I was in the software business, I used to have the software users that knew nothing about computers, tell me how easy it was to fix a certain problem. Then I explained the nuances of the problem that they had never considered or even knew existed. Their 'fixes' wouldn't work and would have made things far worse.

It is very arrogant and naive to assume that you know more than an expert of any field.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 01-09-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 05:27 PM
dwiall
Driver

Just noticed you live in the twin cities and have the same car. How annoying has it been the last couple of weeks. I assume you have dash noises also.

What makes someone an expert? I solve engineering problems everyday and do not consider myself an expert. Some problems I don't solve right away and some Joe blow will ask me what I'm struggling with. When I tell him he says why don't you try this. Why didn't I think of something that easy? I do know that every problem has a solution, it may not be cost affective but there is a solution. They say that it is impossible to break the speed of light. Just because WE don't know how doesn't mean it can't be done Only the arrogant and naive would consider themself an expert, the others consider themselves students.

My rattle is really just plastic on plastic creak and is up by the window vent. If Wd40 didn't stink so bad I'll bet a shot of that would take care of it. I'll check the smell of my silicone spray and see how bad that is. I'll sell it to Lexus as a magic potion and buy a Bentley.
Old 01-09-10, 05:55 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Regarding the traction control...that is exactly how you want a *safe* car to act. If you have traction on one side only and both sides get the same amount of power, then you will end up going toward the side that has no traction....plain and simple physics.
You can do the pedal dance to turn off the system somewhat in the AWD version (I believe they don't have the button to do it). That may help.

As for the dash rattle, I got it fixed in 1 visit with no issues. The biggest complaint I have about my GS is that the seat cooler fan is very weak. The dealer refused to fix it saying that it works, so I called Lexus HQ and they are forcing the dealer to replace it. Perhaps you need to escalate the issue or go to another dealer instead of just complaining about it here.
Old 01-09-10, 06:16 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

What makes someone an expert? I solve engineering problems everyday and do not consider myself an expert. Some problems I don't solve right away and some Joe blow will ask me what I'm struggling with. When I tell him he says why don't you try this. Why didn't I think of something that easy? I do know that every problem has a solution, it may not be cost affective but there is a solution. They say that it is impossible to break the speed of light. Just because WE don't know how doesn't mean it can't be done Only the arrogant and naive would consider themself an expert, the others consider themselves students.
Well, we are honored to have your presence here. Someone that is smarter than all of the entire Toyota Motor Company.
Old 01-09-10, 06:29 PM
dwiall
Driver

Thanks Ivanz, The awd GS does have a button to shut it all off. I will take it back to the dealer one more time but I guess I am a little hesitant because he said it would rattle when it gets cold. Just feel he is going to remind me of this and tell me this is how it is.

The traction thing is not a big deal, it was more of an observation. The braking on the other hand is totally wrong. Unless the wheel I had on the pavement was really black ice then something is wrong. All 4 wheels should be independent according to the research I did. I'll take the car in this week and let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-09-10, 10:05 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sell it and be happy with your Solara and Buick.
Old 01-09-10, 11:58 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are worried about rattles and creaks.... you better run and i mean run as fast as you can from anything and i mean ANYTHING made by GM.....
Old 01-10-10, 09:11 AM
dwiall
Driver

Ok, enough of the trash. Can someone please just answer the original question? What is rubbing up by the window that causes the creaking?

oOOPPPs, its a 99 solara not an 09.

People, please don't get me wrong, I love everything about the car except for the dash noise. Would just like to know what it is and see if I can fix it, it is embarrassing.
Old 01-10-10, 09:49 AM
dwiall
Driver

Thanks for all the help guys. If you want to know how to fix your dash creaking send me $10 and an apology. I'll give you a hint. The noise is very deceiving, it is not coming from up by the defrost vent, it is far away from there but is related to the duct work.

Back to loving the car

Again, thanks for all the suport. Spend more time being part of the solution and less time being the problem. Enjoy you rattles

Quick Reply: You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)