GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Man I hate to hear stuff like that. You did the responsible and sensible thing and got yourself a CPO car and this happens. I am sorry man. I dont think the damage will create any issues for you in the future. See if the dealership will do anything for you. If not enjoy the car. It could be much much worse.I guess in the future avoid the liars at Tustin Lexus
Old 12-28-09, 09:07 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess in the future avoid the liars at Tustin Lexus
Tustin Lexus (especially the service department) from my own personal experience...these morons assume that everyone who drops off a car there for service are idiots who does not know a thing about the car.
Makes my blood boil just mentioning their name.
Old 12-29-09, 05:09 AM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by ivanz
The US might be different, but they should be close. Complete list:
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience..._certified.jsp
Your link is NOT the US list for a CPO. I posted the US CPO link earlier. Interestingly, there are pretty major differences in both wording and number of inspection points.

OP said frame damage in the original post.
The OP referred to a crumpled spot and said it was frame damage. Presumably it's the same crumpled spot as in the OP's pics. That is NOT frame damage (nor does it have rust all over it as he also stated). I certainly understand his frustration, but exagerating the damage report really does no real good.

The whole point of CPO is not *not* have to worry about this stuff. It looks like dealers in Canada and the USA are abusing this and damaging the brand!
On this we can agree! CPO is a marketing tool at best, paid for in spades by the consumer, when indeed if one reads the whole program, they'll see it has no real meat, other than it being a glorified warranty. Perhaps one day they meant something, but they got peeled apart by both lawyers and consumers and now look what we have!
Old 12-29-09, 08:38 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spine911
Tustin Lexus (especially the service department) from my own personal experience...these morons assume that everyone who drops off a car there for service are idiots who does not know a thing about the car.
Makes my blood boil just mentioning their name.
The same guys own/run Newport Lexus.

The service departments suck @ both. They're pretentious idiots, and their satisfaction ratings @ Lexus HQ suck.

Oddly, some of the best service I ever get is from Westminster Lexus' service department.
Old 12-29-09, 09:29 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dadoody
The same guys own/run Newport Lexus.

The service departments suck @ both. They're pretentious idiots, and their satisfaction ratings @ Lexus HQ suck.

Oddly, some of the best service I ever get is from Westminster Lexus' service department.

Visited Newport Lexus once - that's my last.
Don't even bother with their cheap tasting coffee...

There is only a few OC Lexus dealers; i guess this helps zero in on the better ones.
Old 12-29-09, 11:41 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spine911
Visited Newport Lexus once - that's my last.
Don't even bother with their cheap tasting coffee...

There is only a few OC Lexus dealers; i guess this helps zero in on the better ones.
Yeah man. I was @ Newport Lexus and that place LOOKS nice. Like a friggin mansion, but it's all show and NO substance. Their shop doesn't even carry much. I just needed a leather keyfob case, and they didn't even know what that was. It took 2 minutes of explaining and they try to sell me this ugly generic one for $20.

Lexus of Westminster's Service department is Spartan looking, but it has everyone and the service is great. The coffee, juice, and water are all free self-serve which is nice. I like to get a drink whenever and however I feel like.

The parts department has everything - from the real leather cases I wanted in multiple colors, and they sell just about most other things for the car, included the F-sport upgrades for pretty competitive prices.

My experience so far has been:

Newport and Tustin Lexus: Horrible service, prices, and inventory. All show. No good.

Longo Lexus: I would say decent if their stupid technicians didn't mar up my leather seats and had to repair them. Took 1 week for them to do service for me. On the PLUS side, their Lexus loaners are unlimited mileage. I took the RX I got off-roading @ Blackstar canyon. Some of the smoothest off-roading I've ever done. Those things are comfortable.

Westminster Lexus: I work with 1 service manager there, but I'm not going to name him, because he's that awesome. I don't want everyone else asking for him when I need service.

For minor things, I go to my mechanic friend's shop though. He's cheap, high quality, and I can sit around watch him work, chat, and have a few drinks.
Old 12-30-09, 01:00 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys, just to give an update, ill be bringing the car back to the dealer in 2 weeks once the car is done. Hopefully they can do it right.

I figure with the damage on the car it will devalue the car, so worst case scenario it will get fixed, hopefully drop the price of the car and hopefully get something out of it.

I already told the manager that i do not want the car fixed because my peace of mind is pretty much tarnished to know that the car hasn't ben in any accident, and that I do not want the car anymore. I'm hoping they will have a CPO 350 and hopefully I can get into that. The manager said hopefully they can make something happen without getting into any legal matters.

Just pretty stressful to see what is happening. Man, you pay so much for a car, and you don;t get what you pay for....wow..
Old 12-30-09, 01:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the whole deception part bothers me. with such a prestigious brand like lexus, you would think they wouldn't try to swindle its customers out of a great car. for them to hide such pertinent information, even though the damage wasn't large, shows a lack of respect for its customers. id rather know if the car was in an accident- flat out. if it has, and the salesman was honest and upfront with it, i still might consider purchasing the car knowing it was repaired properly and fitment was correct. but for them to hide it for the sake of making a commission, that bothers me.
Old 12-31-09, 12:16 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
the whole deception part bothers me. with such a prestigious brand like lexus, you would think they wouldn't try to swindle its customers out of a great car. for them to hide such pertinent information, even though the damage wasn't large, shows a lack of respect for its customers. id rather know if the car was in an accident- flat out. if it has, and the salesman was honest and upfront with it, i still might consider purchasing the car knowing it was repaired properly and fitment was correct. but for them to hide it for the sake of making a commission, that bothers me.
I wouldn't call it a deception. Let's face it, the damage as seen on the pictures, is minor. I don't think the dealer could have seen it without removing the bumper cover, which I do not belive certification process for CPO includes.

Hopefully Lexus will own up to their reputation a resolve this matter in a fair manner that would satisfy the buyer.
Old 12-31-09, 08:50 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I wouldn't call it a deception. Let's face it, the damage as seen on the pictures, is minor. I don't think the dealer could have seen it without removing the bumper cover, which I do not belive certification process for CPO includes.

Hopefully Lexus will own up to their reputation a resolve this matter in a fair manner that would satisfy the buyer.
I don't think this is so minor that the dealer would overlook. When they do their inspections they are extremely thorough. I have had very minor damage like this before, and on trade-in evaluations they completely work you over it and argue the car is worth a lot less. I would be fairly certain they knew.

And I don't think it is minor. Part of the bumper assembly is crumpled, so therefore the car doesn't have as much impact cushion as a car in mint condition. It is therefore less safe.
Old 12-31-09, 09:35 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Total Deception....

The Worst thing...is that, I brought the car back 2 days after puchase saying the rear bumper wasn't aligned with the quarter panel and a certain part of the rear bumper section wasn't buffed out.

They told me to bring it in. If I remember correctly, I was told my my sales guy that I bought it from, that the used car sales manager had notes that the car had been in a little fender bender or something small, and thats why the bumper wasnt aligned. They said there were "clips" in the rear bumper that wasn't on, and also they probably forgot to "buff" out that part of the rear bumper. So they would get it done.

When I got the car back the rear bumper still wasn't aligned but was a bit better so I didn't mind.

Little did I know, if it was this bad I wouldn't have purchased the car and bought the CPO Next to it.

It sickens me that, if I rememeber correctly, that had "notes" on the car, that they didn't bother to tell me, before I bought the car, and always quickly said by the sales guy "its a clean car fax, means no accidents".
Old 12-31-09, 10:20 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

looking at your pics, i personally don't consider this as "major" (which is a good thing).

good luck on your predicament but i HIGHLY doubt that they will put you in another car WITHOUT dishing out more $$$ (knowing the guys from Tustin).
if the above scenario happens TRY to get Corporate involved.

moral of the story:

like i previously mentioned -"CPO" is a show shiny car with nothing but a glorified extended warranty and a "clean" Carfax/Autocheck.
I will NEVER pay extra for a "CPO" stamp...I do my own inspections, road test.

next time; inspect the vehicle thoroughly BEFORE signing the dotted line.
Old 12-31-09, 10:27 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsChris
It sickens me that, if I rememeber correctly, that had "notes" on the car, that they didn't bother to tell me, before I bought the car, and always quickly said by the sales guy "its a clean car fax, means no accidents".
You should explicitly ask them if the car has been in an accident. Best thing when dealing with a franchised dealer is to do the following:
1) Get out your iPhone voice recorder.
2) Tell the sales person "I am recording this conversation for both of our protection. Can we discuss this vehicle?"
3) If sales person says no, leave.
4) If sales person says yes, ask him the following questions on the record with his responses recorded:
a) Carfax's only show reported accidents and insurance claims, not all damage. Has this car ever been in an accident?
b) Has there ever been an paintwork performed on this car?
c) Has there ever been any bodywork performed on this car?
d) Was this vehicle owned by a rental fleet or used as a loaner vehicle?
e) Is there a record of this car recieving all the scheduled maintenance activities at Lexus dealership(s)?
f) How many keys does this vehicle have?
g) Are all the features in this car working?
h) Are there any other factors which materially affect the value of this vehicle which you are not telling me about?

If you don't record the conversation, they may deny it anyway.

The other option which I prefer is to call carchex and ask them to do a $150 inspection.
Old 12-31-09, 10:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
You should explicitly ask them if the car has been in an accident. Best thing when dealing with a franchised dealer is to do the following:
1) Get out your iPhone voice recorder.
2) Tell the sales person "I am recording this conversation for both of our protection. Can we discuss this vehicle?"
3) If sales person says no, leave.
4) If sales person says yes, ask him the following questions on the record with his responses recorded:
a) Carfax's only show reported accidents and insurance claims, not all damage. Has this car ever been in an accident?
b) Has there ever been an paintwork performed on this car?
c) Has there ever been any bodywork performed on this car?
d) Was this vehicle owned by a rental fleet or used as a loaner vehicle?
e) Is there a record of this car recieving all the scheduled maintenance activities at Lexus dealership(s)?
f) How many keys does this vehicle have?
g) Are all the features in this car working?
h) Are there any other factors which materially affect the value of this vehicle which you are not telling me about?

If you don't record the conversation, they may deny it anyway.

The other option which I prefer is to call carchex and ask them to do a $150 inspection.
Are we buying a car or investigating a terrorist ?
Old 12-31-09, 01:37 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Hell no. No "ifs" "ands" "butts"

I feel that the OP was straight up deceived. That is damage that shouldn't have been there on a CPO - he's already paying a higher price buying from the dealer. The CPO price on top of it just sours this deal.

I bought my used Lexus from a non-Lexus dealer for an unbelievable price and it hasn't had any issues. I think service and sales from a official Lexus dealership is bunk. In my experience, their mechanics and technicians aren't any more thoughtful or knowledgeable.

In fact, I've had the opposite experiences - with Longo Lexus fighting me on a warranty item they're supposed to fix - and after caving in and fixing my problem, they give me back my car with the leather seats marred up because their stupid technicians wear their keys on their back pockets and don't think to take them off while they scratch up my car's seats. Or with Cerritos Lexus doing an oil change and giving back a car to my friend WITHOUT refilling it with oil.

I even wonder if some people who take in their cars and ask for the $200 synthetic oil change (which can be done anywhere else for $50-$70) if the technicians may occasionally just fill them up with regular non-synthetic.

In anycase, I feel that you don't always get what you pay for.

Hopefully Lexus does crank it up, because they're soon to be seeing stiff competition from upcoming value brands like Buick, Hyundai, and even Kia.

Quick Reply: SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?