GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Window tint & shark fin

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 09:34 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint & shark fin

I'm getting my windows tinted and it's between Llumar Charcoal and Huper Optik. I've heard good things about Huper Optik (best heat reduction, ceramic so no issue w/ nav or xm radio) but it is almost twice the price of the Llumar. I know that metallic tint can cause issues with GPS and satillite radio, but wasn't sure if the shark fin on our the car makes this problem a non-issue.

I don't have a parking garage at work, so the Huper Optik would be nice since I'm in Texas, but again just not sure it is worth the price - especially if the nav and xm interference is really a non issue because of the shark fin.

Any info on the fin or thoughts on the tint would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-09, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

shark fin is only for sat, metallic tint might still affect your gps antenna
Old 09-16-09, 10:36 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

are you tinting your front windshield too? I have 3M tint and it blocks off heat pretty well in my car. I park at the top of the parking garage so its always in sun, and its a black interior also.
Old 09-17-09, 11:16 AM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you get your windshield tinted ? I would like to tint mine aswell.
Originally Posted by vuiskool
are you tinting your front windshield too? I have 3M tint and it blocks off heat pretty well in my car. I park at the top of the parking garage so its always in sun, and its a black interior also.
Old 09-17-09, 11:49 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Either HUPER OPTIK or V-KOOL!!!

When I was in Taiwan, I tried most of the top heat blocking tints that are available on the market. But I do not always trust the factory's specification, so each of different brand of films was installed onto 6"x6" window glass. Then we put them over one of those 150w or 250w flood light, then feel the amount of heat going through film.

Based on my experimentation, HUPER OPTIK and V-KOOL are one of the best!!!

Originally Posted by vuiskool
are you tinting your front windshield too?
Here is the problem we have in TEXAS!!!

First, it is illegal to tint the front windshield;
Second, both registration and inspection stickers are applied onto the front windshield.

Even if you can get away with the tinted front windshield, how are you able to remove and reapply the stickers without damaging the tint?!?
Old 09-17-09, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i suppose if you put 60% huper optik, it's so light that you can probably get by cops and inspection (unless they use the meter)?

if that's the case, is it possible for you to tint the front windshield before putting on the stickers? take them off and claim you replaced your windshield and put them on top of the tint?
Old 09-17-09, 02:09 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i suppose if you put 60% huper optik, it's so light that you can probably get by cops and inspection (unless they use the meter)?
Yes I was planning to install 60% tint on the front windshield, but decided not to for now anyway...

if that's the case, is it possible for you to tint the front windshield before putting on the stickers?
The problem is not putting on those stickers but REPLACING them!!! Somehow they managed to made those stickers FREAKING STICKY AS HELL!!!

So when is the time to replace them, we would always have to use single-sided blade to remove them from the front windshield. I am pretty sure that will scratch and damage the film...

Thought of adding another layer of film or something between the tinted windshield and the stickers, but it would make it too obvious for po-po to pull me over and write me a ticket or two...
Old 09-17-09, 03:30 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

cut a hole around the sticker
Old 09-17-09, 06:51 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

shark fin is only for sat, metallic tint might still affect your gps antenna
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that might be the case.

SLK DDS - Are you are in Dallas? If so can I ask where you got your windows tinted? I've heard good things about Pro Tint in Plano and sell Huper Optik.
Old 09-17-09, 09:34 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ntx
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that might be the case.

SLK DDS - Are you are in Dallas? If so can I ask where you got your windows tinted? I've heard good things about Pro Tint in Plano and sell Huper Optik.
I use my GS for work only, so I do not have the need for the GPS. But if I remembered correctly, there are lots CL members also have their toys tinted with HUPER OPTIK. I think they said everything is in working order, no interference from the metallic tint.

Abuout the recommendation for the installer, sorry I can not help you there. Because when I got my GS in Nov 2006, there was not a single place that have heard of HUPER OPTIK.

So I had my housekeeper (in Taiwan) take my GS back to the shop and have them pre-cut a new set for my GS in the US. Once I got the pre-cut films, friend of mine and I intalled the films ourself (as well as the clear bra).
Old 09-17-09, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Yes I was planning to install 60% tint on the front windshield, but decided not to for now anyway...

The problem is not putting on those stickers but REPLACING them!!! Somehow they managed to made those stickers FREAKING STICKY AS HELL!!!

So when is the time to replace them, we would always have to use single-sided blade to remove them from the front windshield. I am pretty sure that will scratch and damage the film...

Thought of adding another layer of film or something between the tinted windshield and the stickers, but it would make it too obvious for po-po to pull me over and write me a ticket or two...
have you tried the 3m adhesive remover? i can't say all, but it has pretty much removed anything sticky i have come across, even some parking stickers on windshield (not specifically your registration sticker so i don't know). maybe that will be helpful
Old 09-18-09, 01:13 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Huper Optik FTW!! It works great at heat reduction especially in the Texas sun!
Old 09-18-09, 01:23 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr101
cut a hole around the sticker
Ditto! Cut the area just enough to hold two stickers and you're set! Make sure you still have some room for the blade to peel off those stickers when you get new ones.
Old 09-18-09, 07:21 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Well, I went to the shop today and got the Huper Optik. The demo with the light at the tint shop was pretty compelling. I unfortunately don't have a parking garage at work, so I thought the heat reduction was worth the additional cost. It looks pretty bad now with all the blisters, but the shop and everything I've read says it take some time to dry out. Hopefully it looks good once that happens.
Old 09-18-09, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ntx
Well, I went to the shop today and got the Huper Optik. The demo with the light at the tint shop was pretty compelling. I unfortunately don't have a parking garage at work, so I thought the heat reduction was worth the additional cost. It looks pretty bad now with all the blisters, but the shop and everything I've read says it take some time to dry out. Hopefully it looks good once that happens.
you will love it. my car parks outside during the day too, it's so much coler than my m3 with just normal tint

Quick Reply: Window tint & shark fin