GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

cam gear recall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 02:10 PM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cam gear recall?

has anyone heard of this recall on the cam gears? i had brought my car into lexus for a oil change and said i heard a noise when i started my engine, so they took it and look it over. once they were done they told me the reason for the noise its because the cam gears are to small or something in those terms. i dont really care its all under warranty so i will be bringing it back when i get the chance. was just wondering if anyone else has had this done or heard of this problem?
Old 08-17-09, 02:13 PM
hieu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this the reason why our car make some grindin nose when we start the engine finally....
Old 08-17-09, 03:58 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMNis250
has anyone heard of this recall on the cam gears? i had brought my car into lexus for a oil change and said i heard a noise when i started my engine, so they took it and look it over. once they were done they told me the reason for the noise its because the cam gears are to small or something in those terms. i dont really care its all under warranty so i will be bringing it back when i get the chance. was just wondering if anyone else has had this done or heard of this problem?
yeah, more or less. i believe its an orifice on or near the cam gear actuators that are the wrong size. when the engine stops, if the cam gears are positioned in a way that the orifices will drain the oil that they are holding, when you restart your car after a period of a couple of hours sitting, the engine will make this god awful sound!!! which in actuality was a split second of oil starvation to the gears!!!!

i had the nasty sound for months and they couldnt figure it out. they finally did the TSIB and i havent heard it since!. thank god.
Old 08-27-09, 08:07 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are the new cam gears taking care of the problem?

Im having this issue also. I just heard it tonight after my car has sat for the last 2 days. If I try to reduplicate the problem it doesn't do it.

Last edited by Chancellor; 08-27-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 09:25 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, here are the TSIB for that HORRIFIC NOISE at start up!!!

TSIB EG7027 (ENG KNOCK @ COLD START)
&
TSIB EG20-07 (SOFTWARE UPDATE)

Here is the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-start.html

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 08-27-09, 09:43 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

^^ Wow, this is a MAJOR issue.

Aside from replacing the Gear assembly, Camshaft. It also requires replacement of the Cylinder Head Gasket.

Anybody who already underwent this fix should have asked the Lexus tech/service advisor whether they would/did resurface the cylinder heads???
Old 08-27-09, 10:21 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spine911

Aside from replacing the Gear assembly, Camshaft. It also requires replacement of the Cylinder Head Gasket.

Anybody who already underwent this fix should have asked the Lexus tech/service advisor whether they would/did resurface the cylinder heads???
I had this done, never heard the noise again, everything turned out fine.
Old 08-27-09, 10:54 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what year GS does this affect?
Old 08-28-09, 04:58 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have an 07GS350AWD and had this TSIB done over a month ago. no issues since
Old 08-28-09, 07:08 AM
TWong350

Originally Posted by spine911

Not really the head gaskets, although that's the description. They are just the valve cover gaskets. Weird how they name their parts.
Old 08-28-09, 07:39 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Guys, here are the TSIB for that HORRIFIC NOISE at start up!!!

TSIB EG7027 (ENG KNOCK @ COLD START)
&
TSIB EG20-07 (SOFTWARE UPDATE)

Here is the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-start.html

Hope this helps,

Steve
thats what I needed thanks
Old 08-28-09, 08:36 AM
raptl1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like everybody who has had this issue has an 06 or 07 GS. Anyone experience this with an 08 or newer one?
Old 08-28-09, 05:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Funny I have had this issue since i first got the car and thought it was a direct injection thing. Its like a clicking noise for about maybe 3-4 seconds right after I start the car and then it stops. I will mention this to my service advisor. I dont like the idea of my car starving for oil even for a second.
Old 09-01-09, 11:22 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 07 GS350. I just got a "Check System" light on this past Saturday. Then on Sunday when I turned my car on I heard the clattering noise when I started the car. I took my car in today and got a call back from the rep and he said that it was because of my cam gears were worn out. He said a few of the 07 GS' have this problem. Either way, they are going to replace it today under warranty.
Old 10-29-13, 09:30 AM
vrudy17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LMN_Sins
I had called the service department and they said that the cam gear recall was due to the bolt that holds up the gear that's lossen or falls off cause a loss in oil pressure.

Hope this answers your question.

Quick Reply: cam gear recall?