GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Owner =)...need help with key and ipod/nav mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 09:41 PM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner =)...need help with key and ipod/nav mods

Hi All! I finally purchased my a 2007 GS350 last month and need some help with some basics.

1. KEY FOB: My car only came with one key fob so I'm looking for a replacement. I bought a used one on ebay with the same model number on the back but I took it to Lexus Kearny Mesa today and they said they can't program a used remote to another car? Is this true? I also tried two Toyota dealers and they said it couldn't be done. I've been searching past threads and seems possible, you just need the right dealer. Anyone in Southern CA know of a dealer that can program a used remote at a hopefully reasonable price?

2. IPOD: Seems a majority of the members here like the Vais unit to hook up an ipod but it also seems like the most expensive compared to others. Any thoughts on other brands?

Since the car defaults to not being able to browse through cd mp3 folders when in motion, would this be the case with ipod playlists where you can't change it on the screen in motion? Do you still have full capability/function by controlling from the ipod unit itself when connected?

I'm nervous about installing an ipod connection myself and taking apart the nav unit. Is it really as easy as most say? Anyone know of any quality shops that can install the ipod kit and possibly also do the nav/bluetooth mods at a fair price?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old 08-10-09, 10:43 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Shoot me a PM if you are near riverside, buy the ipod kit and I will put it in for you and do the mods.....
Old 08-10-09, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to clublexus. it's not hard to install override kit or ipod kit, there are some diy here.

for the override, you can either cut wire and put in a switch for override but with time limit, or you can get override plug and play kits. but that's going to cost more though. it's a real toss. more money for plug and play full function kit, or cut wire much cheaper limited fix

on the ipod kit, vaistech should cost about the same as toyota kits (the two that i know of that are available). vaistech is a lot better than toyota kit, more flexible and better compatibility

Last edited by rominl; 08-10-09 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 12:00 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome. I don't think it's possible to be more nervous about installing the ipod kit and pulling the nav unit than I was. (I chose vais) I'm not a prodigious do it yourselfer when it comes to this sort of thing but I was able to do it without complication by following the instruction threads on the forum. Do your homework, study those threads and take your time. Good luck.
Old 08-11-09, 12:18 AM
Jasonx82
Rookie

I just got the OE Lexus Ipod Kit, Its awesome I should have done it alot sooner!! (supports Iphone 3GS)
Old 08-11-09, 02:46 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I think for iPod functionality, the Lexus OEM and VAIS kits are pretty similar. I did find out that the OEM kit does not allow you to add on Sat service, so I went with the VAIS SL2i-up for iPod and the SL2xmt for Sat radio to be installed later this week along with the PS PnP kit for Nav override.
Old 08-11-09, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
I think for iPod functionality, the Lexus OEM and VAIS kits are pretty similar. I did find out that the OEM kit does not allow you to add on Sat service, so I went with the VAIS SL2i-up for iPod and the SL2xmt for Sat radio to be installed later this week along with the PS PnP kit for Nav override.
i believe with the OEM kits it's a bit more limited in terms of playlist size and choices, and also the way to go through them. another thing is my friend said with the OEM kit it doesn't show as many details as the vaistech

but yes, OEM taking up the SAT slot that's another issue
Old 08-11-09, 08:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

as far as your question about the key fob, yes you can have one programmed. although i have seen some places try to charge almost 100 bucks to do it. ive also seen other places do it in about 10-15 mins and charge 30 bucks.
Old 08-11-09, 09:39 PM
apex47
Rookie

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input and advice.
Old 08-23-09, 08:13 AM
snaps98
Driver School Candidate

Default Dice or Vais?

Is the VAIS ipod control better for than the DICE control? I have the iphone 3G so i hope i have all control and charging.
Old 09-04-09, 07:11 AM
MadRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snaps98
Is the VAIS ipod control better for than the DICE control? I have the iphone 3G so i hope i have all control and charging.
I would love to hear the answer for this question also. I have an iPhone and 2006 GS430 with Nav/ML. I would like to get the best screen integration as i can. My choices are VAIS, PAC or OE kit.

Please give me some feed back. Also has anyone has their iPod or iPhone somehow integrated into the dash. I am looking for ideas.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-09, 03:34 PM
MadRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump bump bump
Old 11-20-09, 01:05 PM
jacobms1
Driver School Candidate

I've been exhaustively comparing the Dice vs Vais and I think since I don't want video then the Dice is the better option for me for two main reasons:
1) Ability for multiple levels of browsing (first by artist, then by album) vs just by artist and then having all albums lumped together.
2) The "Smart" mode which allows for both on screen and iPod control at the same time.
Old 11-20-09, 03:12 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Key fob

I just bought my gs and had the same problem.

I spoke with master tech at Lexus and he told me if you have a used key fob they have to reset the computer and reprogram all key fobs in the computer. Cost around $180. If you buy a new one it can be done for $60. I have tried 3-4 dealers like you with a used fob without a success. Tried also a locksmith and they were getting an error too. Actually was watching him operate the computer.

When I brought the new fob back to the locksmith, it took him just 60 seconds to program it in. He couldn't earase a lost fob from the computer, but it was not an issue as car can be program with up to 4 fobs, so I have three programmed (one I don't have). Locksmith charged me $35.

I hope this helps!